Jasmin_dentist

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
21
0
Chicago IL
Status
Does anybody know anything about Carribean Dental School? Does it exist?
Please share some information.

Thanks a lot.
 

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
2,247
3
36
Texas
Status
Jasmin_dentist said:
Does anybody know anything about Carribean Dental School? Does it exist?
Please share some information.

Thanks a lot.
The University of West Indies in Trinidad has a 5 year program which grants a DDS. However, it is not accredited by the American Dental Association. Thus, in order to practice in the United States or Canada, one would first have to complete additional post-graduate training upon return to North America.

Still, UWI's medical school is considered a very prestigious institution. If its dental program is anything like its medical program, then that says a lot. My uncle actually graduated from UWI's dental school and practices in Trinidad (I'm Trini). He took the U.S. dental boards and passed them both, and he claims UWI's training was adequate. However, why go through the extra trouble? Let's break it down:

The North American Route:
Undergraduate degree: 4 years (generally)
Dental school: 4 years

vs.

The Caribbean Route:
Prerequistie sciences for UWI: 1-2 years
Dental school: 5 years
Post-graduate training in North America: 2 years (assuming you get into one of these programs, which are very competitive)

You are better yet staying in the U.S. or Canada if you want to practice here. Just my two cents...
 
About the Ads

FIXENSMILES01

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
280
5
49
NEW YORK- Youngstown OH -6/2008
Status
Hey Jasmin , I Went To The Dominican Republic It Is About A Two Hour Flight From Miami Fl. My School Was 4 Years Still Is And The On Hands Clinical Experience Was The Best. The Basic Science Is Weak However. There Is To Much To Tell Or Write . Pm Me And I Will Give You My # And I Can Tell You About All The Schools In The Islands As Well A The Finacial And Which Is The Best For You. My Family All Graduated And Are Successful Md's From The Island Over The Last 30 Years So We Are Well Versed In The Islands As Well As I Was A Student Director For A.m.s.a In The Caribe. So Give Me A Buzz, My Name Is Bill. Talk To You Soon . Happy Holidays And God Bless.
 

Jasmin_dentist

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
21
0
Chicago IL
Status
FIXENSMILES01 said:
Hey Jasmin , I Went To The Dominican Republic It Is About A Two Hour Flight From Miami Fl. My School Was 4 Years Still Is And The On Hands Clinical Experience Was The Best. The Basic Science Is Weak However. There Is To Much To Tell Or Write . Pm Me And I Will Give You My # And I Can Tell You About All The Schools In The Islands As Well A The Finacial And Which Is The Best For You. My Family All Graduated And Are Successful Md's From The Island Over The Last 30 Years So We Are Well Versed In The Islands As Well As I Was A Student Director For A.m.s.a In The Caribe. So Give Me A Buzz, My Name Is Bill. Talk To You Soon . Happy Holidays And God Bless.
Hi!
Thank you for your reply. Actually I am a foreign trained dentist. I am interesting in Carribean Dental School in order to practice in US. But you are saying that you still have to go through Dental Boards and Advanced Standing programs in US after you done with Dental School. So as I understand there is no reason to go to Carribean if you already have a Degree from a differnt country.Is it right?
 

FIXENSMILES01

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2004
280
5
49
NEW YORK- Youngstown OH -6/2008
Status
Jasmin_dentist said:
Hi!
Thank you for your reply. Actually I am a foreign trained dentist. I am interesting in Carribean Dental School in order to practice in US. But you are saying that you still have to go through Dental Boards and Advanced Standing programs in US after you done with Dental School. So as I understand there is no reason to go to Carribean if you already have a Degree from a differnt country.Is it right?
HERES WHAT YOU DO:

1) GET ALL YOUR TRANSCRIPS TRANSLATED BY A LAWYER HERE IN AMERICA THERE ARE LAWYERS THAT SPECIALIZE IN THIS AND NORMALLY THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS FROM YOUR COUNTRY OF GRADUATION. $250-$350.00

2) SEND THIS TRANSLATION , PROOF OF GRADUATION, DIPLOMA ETC. TO THE CREDENTIALING COMPANY CALLED E.C.E. $200-300.00

3) HAVE E.C.E SEND ALL THIS WORK TO THE ADA TESTING PEOPLE AND THATS IT . SIGN UP FOR YOUR EXAM STUDY AND TAKE IT. $250.00

4) ONCE YOU PASS WITH AN 85 OR BETTER for part 1, APPLY TO ALL THE SCHOOLS WITH ADVANCED STANDING AND PRAY YOU GET IN . THEY ARE 3-4 YR PROGRAMS.

5) also take the tofl english exam.

all this info and more is at the www.ada.com go here and all your answers are there. goodluck
 

cheer_up

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2005
563
10
Status
Non-Student
Jasmin_dentist said:
Hi!
Thank you for your reply. Actually I am a foreign trained dentist. I am interesting in Carribean Dental School in order to practice in US. But you are saying that you still have to go through Dental Boards and Advanced Standing programs in US after you done with Dental School. So as I understand there is no reason to go to Carribean if you already have a Degree from a differnt country.Is it right?

Hi Jasmin

Yes, you are right!!!You cannot go to the Carribean Dental School and practise in the US after you graduate from it because, as far as I understand, it is not accredited by the ADA. Since you are already a dentist, the only thing to do if you want to practice in the US is to try to get into a Advance Standing Program in the US or Canada like the rest of us (you have to be a permanent resident for Canadian citizen in order to apply to Canadian schools). The ADA only accepts dental graduates from only Canada besides the US. You might want to confim the information with the ADA, but I'm pretty sure that it's how it is. Unfortunately, there is NO easy way out of this besides doing an Advance Standing Program.
Good Luck :luck:
 

dinesh

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
609
1
33
Canada
Status
Dentist
The UWI dental school is pretty good, and the quality of lecturers is superb.

The student common room needs some work though :)
 
About the Ads