Carribean Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasmin_dentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please,share some information about Carribean Dental School? Does it exist?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

sure, the Caribbean needs dentists too. You just won't be able to practice in the U.S.

This Is Not True !!! I Am An American Who Studyied Abroad In The Carribean. I Am Also One Of 15 Doctors In My Family To Go To This School In The Dominican Republic And All My Family Are Successful Practicing Clinicians Here In America . Although I Am The First Dental Grad , I Asure You After You Are Done; You Are Eligible To Take The Dental Boards; Which, I Just Passed. You Will Be Able To Get Into Advansed Standing Programs Specifically For Us As Well As Take The Alternative Pathways Of Postgraduate Programs Or Master Level Programs. That Depending On The State You Are In You Will Be Eligable To Practice In That Specialty, Only, In That State. For More Info Jasmin Go To International Dentist Thread You Posted And Read My Reply To You. Also The Ada Just Past A Credential Program In Mexico. If You Go To This Specific School They Will Except You, Here , As A D.d.s And After A Residency You Will Be Able To Practice. They Were Unclear As To The Specifics; But, The Info Is Correct. So Goto The International Thread And We Will Communicate There. Also Although There Is No Substitute For An American Dental Education !!! I A Sure You That In All Schools That Have Advanced Standing Programs, It Is The Foriegn Trained Doctors That Produce The Most And Are Just As Good If Not Equal To The Top American Students Clinically. Also Remember That In Our Programs Such As Mine There Were No Manaquins Only Live Patients From Day One To Day Last . I Did Two Years Of Medicine And 3 Years Of Dentistry, So When You Come Back And Do The Programs You Will Have The Nessicary Experience To Do Any Proceedure Without Fear. You Will Do Everything Based On 4 Years Of In Vivo Experience. Except For Vaneers Implants And Ortho. You Will Be Proficient In Prosto, Endo, Perio, Operative And Especially Oral Surg. I Will Always Say If You Can Go American First!! Foriegn Trained Programs Or "f.t.p" Are A Last Resort !!! There Are Plenty Of F.t.p. Doctors Practicing Here In America And Are Doing Well. Dentistry Is An Entity Within Itself, In Medicine Some Of The U.s.a. Best And Leading Doctors Are From Other Schools Outside The U.s.a I Should Know My Mom Is One Of Them There Are Only A Few Doctors In Her Field In The U.s. She Is Quadrouple Board Certified A Md And A Neonatal - Pediatric - Cardiologist. And She Was Just Like Me An American 4 Generations Who Changed Her Life By Going Foriegn Trained. So Choose Wisely Grasshopper And Take My Advise Given Here. - Bill

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so it's possible, but it is NOT a short-cut to practicing in the US. Carribean medical schools are often seen as a short-cut to practicing medicine in the US, but it isn't the same with dental schools.

Plus, if you go Carribean, you'll be forced to capitalize each word in everything you write.

FIXENSMILES01 said:
This Is Not True !!! I Am An American Who Studyied Abroad In The Carribean. I Am Also One Of 15 Doctors In My Family To Go To This School In The Dominican Republic And All My Family Are Successful Practicing Clinicians Here In America . Although I Am The First Dental Grad , I Asure You After You Are Done; You Are Eligible To Take The Dental Boards; Which, I Just Passed. You Will Be Able To Get Into Advansed Standing Programs Specifically For Us As Well As Take The Alternative Pathways Of Postgraduate Programs Or Master Level Programs. That Depending On The State You Are In You Will Be Eligable To Practice In That Specialty, Only, In That State. For More Info Jasmin Go To International Dentist Thread You Posted And Read My Reply To You. Also The Ada Just Past A Credential Program In Mexico. If You Go To This Specific School They Will Except You, Here , As A D.d.s And After A Residency You Will Be Able To Practice. They Were Unclear As To The Specifics; But, The Info Is Correct. So Goto The International Thread And We Will Communicate There. Also Although There Is No Substitute For An American Dental Education !!! I A Sure You That In All Schools That Have Advanced Standing Programs, It Is The Foriegn Trained Doctors That Produce The Most And Are Just As Good If Not Equal To The Top American Students Clinically. Also Remember That In Our Programs Such As Mine There Were No Manaquins Only Live Patients From Day One To Day Last . I Did Two Years Of Medicine And 3 Years Of Dentistry, So When You Come Back And Do The Programs You Will Have The Nessicary Experience To Do Any Proceedure Without Fear. You Will Do Everything Based On 4 Years Of In Vivo Experience. Except For Vaneers Implants And Ortho. You Will Be Proficient In Prosto, Endo, Perio, Operative And Especially Oral Surg. I Will Always Say If You Can Go American First!! Foriegn Trained Programs Or "f.t.p" Are A Last Resort !!! There Are Plenty Of F.t.p. Doctors Practicing Here In America And Are Doing Well. Dentistry Is An Entity Within Itself, In Medicine Some Of The U.s.a. Best And Leading Doctors Are From Other Schools Outside The U.s.a I Should Know My Mom Is One Of Them There Are Only A Few Doctors In Her Field In The U.s. She Is Quadrouple Board Certified A Md And A Neonatal - Pediatric - Cardiologist. And She Was Just Like Me An American 4 Generations Who Changed Her Life By Going Foriegn Trained. So Choose Wisely Grasshopper And Take My Advise Given Here. - Bill

Sure You Can Take The Boards But You Can't Practice Without Going To School In The US --- Which Was My Point.

There's also a Dental school in trinidad :)

ItsGavinC said:
Plus, if you go Carribean, you'll be forced to capitalize each word in everything you write.

Hilarious. I knew there was something awkward about his post. I just couldn't pin it down. :laugh:

ItsGavinC said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

but yeah the guy is right, there are carribean dental schools but if you want to practice in the us you still have to do at least 2 more years of school :thumbdown: so its definately not a shortcut

ItsGavinC said:
Okay, so it's possible, but it is NOT a short-cut to practicing in the US. Carribean medical schools are often seen as a short-cut to practicing medicine in the US, but it isn't the same with dental schools.

Or you can look at it this way, dentists are not required to do residency. So what is 2 more years of dental school if they can practice when they are done? Physicians are required to do residency in the United States regardless if they completed one in their native country. So a foreign trained doctor still has to do a minimum of 3 years of residency before they can practice here. 2 years is better than 3 in my opinion even if it is school related.

It doesn't sound like a bad plan for a student who lacks the grades to get into dental school in the U.S. Most people spend 2 years doing post-bac anyway.

daelroy said:
Or you can look at it this way, dentists are not required to do residency. So what is 2 more years of dental school if they can practice when they are done? Physicians are required to do residency in the United States regardless if they completed one in their native country. So a foreign trained doctor still has to do a minimum of 3 years of residency before they can practice here. 2 years is better than 3 in my opinion even if it is school related.

It doesn't sound like a bad plan for a student who lacks the grades to get into dental school in the U.S. Most people spend 2 years doing post-bac anyway.

Shhhh..... Don't let the secret out. ;) ;) ;)

a few corrections .... dentists are required to do a residency in NY... just starting and in Delaware since 1940.... five other states are considering this...

for licensure,,,, up to the states and each one differs... many require that you past national boards and graduate from an ADA accrediated dental school (all in US and Canada)
some allow special alternatives... you have to check each state

superchris147 said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

but yeah the guy is right, there are carribean dental schools but if you want to practice in the us you still have to do at least 2 more years of school :thumbdown: so its definately not a shortcut

Not to mention, IDS programs are WAY more competitive than DDS programs. We had about 450 applicants for 16 spots last year.

dinesh said:
yup @ UWI

Wow, talk about the road I didnt take, you're on it.

I checked out your website, you're a sharp kid, a diamond in the rough!
I was good to see Hillview has a website, Brought back some old memories, wow.

FIXENSMILES01 said:

All those caps make it looks like the world's longest book title. :laugh:

kerrydds06 said:
Wow, talk about the road I didnt take, you're on it.

I checked out your website, you're a sharp kid, a diamond in the rough!
I was good to see Hillview has a website, Brought back some old memories, wow.
I take it you're from trinidad?Went to hillview?:)
A diamond you say, lol