carribean med schools.... can u do residency in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

supernareg

okay so if u goto a carribean medical school, and after your done with the 4 years of school, and ready to begin ur residency, do they place u in US hospitals like any other US med school? or do u have to go through special tests? i know you have to take the USMLE 1-3, but are there any OTHER tests u must take before u work in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

okay so if u goto a carribean medical school, and after your done with the 4 years of school, and ready to begin ur residency, do they place u in US hospitals like any other US med school? or do u have to go through special tests? i know you have to take the USMLE 1-3, but are there any OTHER tests u must take before u work in the US?

By Carribean do you mean medical schools in Puerto Rico??

Medical schools in Puerto Rico are still considered US medical schools and are recognized as one of the 126 accredited LCME medical schools. You will not encounter any red tape applying for residency programs as a student who studied undergraduate medical education at a Puerto Rican medical school. There may be some discrimination against you, but nevertheless you will not be a FMG.

FMG applies to those schools that are non-US medical schools. I believe Ross and St. George are considered foreign medical schools.

By Carribean do you mean medical schools in Puerto Rico??

I think it likely from his/her question that s/he did not mean the PR schools. There are many more schools in the carribean that are not LCME accredited than those, and people generally are more specific when asking about Ponce, etc. Assuming the OP did not mean the PR schools: There are many hurdles if you go this route, and, while these schools often give people a second chance to become a doctor, the odds of matching into a competitive residency or a desired geographic location are significantly lower. You might want to check out the carribean board on SDN for more specifics. But in general, if you want to practice in the US, you are best off if you go to school in the US.