Carrie Fisher's ashes carried in Prozac-shaped urn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyknotic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
See article on BBC News.

While it's no secret that Carrie Fisher had extensive experience with mental health treatment, I wonder what this news will do for mental health stigma in America and around the world.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it was good that her family decided to embrace that aspect of her life at her funeral. I see how hard some of my patients and/or their families fight against admitting to having a mental illness, even though denial means their life is actually much worse than it would be if they stabilized on treatment. I see the fear that some patients have that I will say they are "crazy", because their mental image of what it means to be "crazy" is terrifying. I think it is very important that Carrie Fisher reminded the public that mental illness doesn't mean a person can't also be funny, talented, beautiful or have a very successful life. It's just something that has to be managed, no more shameful than Wilford Brimley and his 'beetus.

I think the new Star Wars movies generated enough interest in Carrie Fisher again that this move is important and probably will impact some people who need this message.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose it is kind of funny, but personally, my relatives putting my ashes in a Prozac capsule urn would make me feel like I was being reduced as a person to nothing but my mental illness.

Once again, the Student Doctor Network proves that its members are completely oblivious to irony.

Reactions: 1 user
I suppose it is kind of funny, but personally, my relatives putting my ashes in a Prozac capsule urn would make me feel like I was being reduced as a person to nothing but my mental illness.

Believe me, Carrie Fisher and her family aren't worried about her being remembered in connection with Prozac. She's got a way better thing going with Princess Leah. She can afford to make an ironic joke that you and I definitely cannot.

Reactions: 2 users
vvss9ximab.jpg

What is the irony? Not saying there isn't the irony; something like this is open to many interpretations. I guess irony is that Prozac makes you happy, and death makes you sad, but the Prozac in this case to make you happy is literally composed of the very death making you sad, making the Prozac quite ironic. Is that it? Took me a minute to think of it.

My own first glance interpretation was that there wasn't much to it, that it was like a mindless gag. My second forced interpretation is that she herself is an anti-depressant, the active ingredient that sparked people.

She was a neat person, the first one I've heard to talk positively about their experience with ECT, even while talking about the side effects. She was a good advocate for mental healthcare because it seemed to work for her.

I think the irony Nancy was getting is whether or not the medical treatment for her problems really helped her to live a better and longer life or contributed to her fairly early demise. I am not going to take either side of that, but would say that it is a very valid question.

I think the irony Nancy was getting is whether or not the medical treatment for her problems really helped her to live a better and longer life or contributed to her fairly early demise. I am not going to take either side of that, but would say that it is a very valid question.

It's a valid question to wonder if the treatment contributed to her early demise? Do you have evidence to support that in her case or in general?

It's a valid question to wonder if the treatment contributed to her early demise? Do you have evidence to support that in her case or in general?

Cocaine and alcohol is not filled with vitamin C

Members don't see this ad :)
People with mental illness have decreased life expectancy. I have no information about this specific case and was commenting more generally on the question of whether or not our treatments for severe mental illness are effective in improving life expectancy and quality of life which was a discussion in another thread.

People with mental illness have decreased life expectancy. I have no information about this specific case and was commenting more generally on the question of whether or not our treatments for severe mental illness are effective in improving life expectancy and quality of life which was a discussion in another thread.

The question of weather or not our treatments improve QoL or LE in SMI is completely different than if they "contributed to her fairly early demise".

The question of weather or not our treatments improve QoL or LE in SMI is completely different than if they "contributed to her fairly early demise".
She did die fairly young and she was quite an advocate for mental health treatment and so why not ask the question of whether or not her individual mental health treatment or possibly even failure to ascribe to treatment was an issue in her death? Maybe the answer is that it is completely unrelated or maybe she smoked like many people with mental health issues do and we all know how that contributes to risk for heart disease. Again I don't know the answers to this as I have had nothing to do with her treatment. However, I would think that as an advocate for mental health, Ms. Fisher would want us to delve into those questions in the effort to help our patients who might be struggling with similar issues.

She did die fairly young and she was quite an advocate for mental health treatment and so why not ask the question of whether or not her individual mental health treatment or possibly even failure to ascribe to treatment was an issue in her death? Maybe the answer is that it is completely unrelated or maybe she smoked like many people with mental health issues do and we all know how that contributes to risk for heart disease. Again I don't know the answers to this as I have had nothing to do with her treatment. However, I would think that as an advocate for mental health, Ms. Fisher would want us to delve into those questions in the effort to help our patients who might be struggling with similar issues.

108b07bf716623a767c2af4be85bbd5b4efe6c3a84a0c9e98fa7ed3e57459cc4_1.jpg

(Nothing personal. Not saying you said anything crazy, the exchange just reminded me of this which I always find funny.)

I always miss these obvious things. I don't know whether it affected her longevity but she certainly seemed very functional.

Interesting question, though. Obviously some medicines have inherent risks, and some like the benzos should not be used as they have been and still are. I don't know about the risks of ECT; I've only heard of memory loss. But heart disease is also an increasingly large killer because of how much other diseases like cancer are less frequently killing people. And women tend to have them more fatally. Not saying a direct connection but she mentioned drinking up to 16 Cokes a day in one of her last interviews. A balancing anecdote, Warren Buffet says he drinks 5 Cokes a day and eats ice cream all the time, and he seems to be doing well.

um heart disease deaths have consistently been declining...

also cancer mortality is somewhat skewed because we now detect all kinds of cancers that would never have killed the person anyway and thus it looks like the mortality has decreased more than it has
I don't remember where I heard it, so I'll need to Google, but I heard that deaths were increasing from cardiovascular disease, while the mortality rate was decreasing, the implication I believe that more people are diagnosed with cardiovascular disease and fewer are dying from it, but that more are diagnosed with it still means more deaths in spite of decreased mortality. Basically people are more likely to survive having cardiovascular disease but more people have it so more are dying anyway. Cancer was somehow involved in this story I heard--something about the death rates from it plummeting. It could have been on NPR. I'll look around.

EDIT: I can't find the story I heard, but looking at the CDC data there are a decreasing number of absolute heart disease deaths and an increasing number of cancer deaths when comparing 1980 and 2014, which goes against what I said:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus15.pdf#019

Last edited:
Cocaine and alcohol is not filled with vitamin C

She smoked, and she died of a heart attack. So why the attention to cocaine and alcohol, but not smoking?

My point was that Carrie Fisher was a movie star, author and millionaire, from a famous family. She doesn't need to worry about being "reduced" to anything, least of all "mental illness." Carrie Fisher won't be remembered for bipolar disorder or addiction. Don't let us fool ourselves into thinking that she will be, or that she'll be remembered as some great spokesperson for the cause. If she's remembered at all (and we don't know that she will be), it will be for her movies. So by championing mental illness stuff, she didn't really risk anything. And maybe she could even find it funny.

Maaaaaybe smoking contributed? How about, she was a smoker from age 18 if not younger. Carrie Fisher's generation started smoking BEFORE they were old enough to be diagnosed with bipolar. So stop blaming bipolar. Plus I highly doubt that Carrie Fisher lacked access to smoking cessation resources. Also she was not severely mentally ill in the sense of being schizophrenic and having cognitive issues that would impede her ability to understand why smoking is bad. If she continued to smoke throughout her life that most likely is a statement about the addictive potential of nicotine rather than anything about bipolar disorder.

Yes I know the mentally ill die much younger than the rest of the population. It's a tragedy and we need to do something about it. It's possible, perhaps, that even with all other factors being equal (including fame, wealth and access to treatment) that bipolar alone makes a nicotine habit harder to break. Maaaaaybe. But even if thats true it's not an excuse for not knowing your cardiovascular disease pathology or epidemiology. You need to redo anatomy and physiology if you think heart attacks are caused by bipolar disorder.

My point was that Carrie Fisher was a movie star, author and millionaire, from a famous family. She doesn't need to worry about being "reduced" to anything, least of all "mental illness." Carrie Fisher won't be remembered for bipolar disorder or addiction. Don't let us fool ourselves into thinking that she will be, or that she'll be remembered as some great spokesperson for the cause. If she's remembered at all (and we don't know that she will be), it will be for her movies. So by championing mental illness stuff, she didn't really risk anything. And maybe she could even find it funny.
I may be one of the few people who has not seen Star Wars, but I was familiar with her talking about ECT. I'm not sure where I heard her talk about it. Must have been when promoting a book on some show. But she's the only person I can think of who I've "known" who has had it. I had never heard about someone appreciating ECT or doing it voluntarily before. In fact I had thought it had mostly disappeared. Strangely I only knew both her and Debbie Reynolds (whom I did not realize were related until their deaths) from NBC sitcoms. Carrie Fischer from 30 Rock and Debbie Reynolds from Will & Grace. Both were great in their roles.

Maaaaaybe smoking contributed? How about, she was a smoker from age 18 if not younger. Carrie Fisher's generation started smoking BEFORE they were old enough to be diagnosed with bipolar. So stop blaming bipolar. Plus I highly doubt that Carrie Fisher lacked access to smoking cessation resources. Also she was not severely mentally ill in the sense of being schizophrenic and having cognitive issues that would impede her ability to understand why smoking is bad. If she continued to smoke throughout her life that most likely is a statement about the addictive potential of nicotine rather than anything about bipolar disorder.

Yes I know the mentally ill die much younger than the rest of the population. It's a tragedy and we need to do something about it. It's possible, perhaps, that even with all other factors being equal (including fame, wealth and access to treatment) that bipolar alone makes a nicotine habit harder to break. Maaaaaybe. But even if thats true it's not an excuse for not knowing your cardiovascular disease pathology or epidemiology. You need to redo anatomy and physiology if you think heart attacks are caused by bipolar disorder.
You seem to have completely misread my post. I never said that Bipolar caused anything. I also didn't know whether she smoked or not. Obviously, if she was a smoker as you stated, then risk of heart disease. My only point is that she was an advocate for medical treatment of mental illness and that model might have some flaws if it is not reducing correlated problematic behaviors such as smoking, overeating, lack of exercise, etc. Take this medicine and you will be all better might not be an entirely helpful message. It definitely isn't the reality for the majority of mentally ill patients that any of us have seen who tend to have significant behavioral and interpersonal problems that coincide with their mental illness. Sure pharmaceutical treatments can be necessary to implement some of the needed changes, hard work is still needed to be done and no amount of tinkering with dosages or making med changes will substitute for that work. The tv ads don't help with how they imply that it is easy with their pictures of people taking abilify or seroquel playing frisbee on the beach or walking arm in arm happily smiling with loved ones.

Last edited:
I find the whole Prozac shaped casket completely inappropriate. Should be shaped like Symbyax.