carrying jaw with teeth on plane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iaralt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a jaw with 12 teeth, a couple loose teeth on a box and a skull. I was wondering if it's legal to travel with them? I'll be moving away soon and have to start thinking about what I'll do with these. I was hoping to keep these for sentimental value mostly, in my country it's normal for dental students to have real human bones which I believe is not the case for other countries. I know I won't be able to fly with an actual skull (I'll have to give it away), and I know it's legal to carry teeth, but can I carry an actual jaw with me? Has anyone attempted to? Is there an alternative? I got it at a cemetery after turning in a couple papers (ID photocopies and a certificate of student status — both of which they filed) but wasn't given any paper back (no authorization for carrying them or certificate of having obtained them legally)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a jaw with 12 teeth, a couple loose teeth on a box and a skull. I was wondering if it's legal to travel with them? I'll be moving away soon and have to start thinking about what I'll do with these. I was hoping to keep these for sentimental value mostly, in my country it's normal for dental students to have real human bones which I believe is not the case for other countries. I know I won't be able to fly with an actual skull (I'll have to give it away), and I know it's legal to carry teeth, but can I carry an actual jaw with me? Has anyone attempted to? Is there an alternative? I got it at a cemetery after turning in a couple papers (ID photocopies and a certificate of student status — both of which they filed) but wasn't given any paper back (no authorization for carrying them or certificate of having obtained them legally)
Why don't you check with the airline? We don't have a TSA agent section on SDN

Reactions: 1 users
I got it at a cemetery

37DD6B7C-A78A-45DF-B2C5-4B37594F1568.jpeg

C751E34D-3624-4E17-BBFF-EFA9BCEE49AA.png

D075B880-B5A7-484C-A827-9A0EA86D7561.jpeg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t be surprised if carrying human remains would violate some law or regulation

Domestic flights should be fine. Any international flights, not so much.

Checking the US Customs and Border Control website, it looks like traveling with human remains is regulated by the CDC and gives you pretty wide latitude.

To my reading, there is no regulation on carrying human remains into the United States as long as they consist only of dry bones and teeth. No soft tissue allowed without a permit. No fresh corpses without a death certificate. Not only does it look like you can bring the jaw and teeth, you can probably bring the skull too!

Requirements for importing bodies in coffins / ashes in urns

Last edited:
Call TSA and your local state to verify. There may be customs regulations and state regulations.