Carrying our Spouse to the interview

Phil23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it alright to bring your spouse with you when you come to the interview so they may see the campus and experience the city they may be living in? If you do bring your spouse, Do most medical schools have a place that they can wait while you are interviewing? These may be silly questions but I would appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not married but I have given tours to those who just interviewed at my school. It is very common for students to bring a spouse, parent, friend, etc. It makes sense to bring your spouse considering they will live there too if you are accepted. The only thing is that you may want them to wait in the lobby before you introduce yourself and check into the admissions office. However, sometime during the day a student of faculty member will give you a tour and answer questions. Your spouse is welcomed to come along too.

Phil:

My experience was that some schools accommodate spouses, some don't. I just called teh admissions ofc ahead of time when I confirmed my interview date and inquired about activities for spouses. Remember they have to live there, too, and actually spend more time than you do in the community...

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first year at TCOM, and I also interviewed at TX A&M, TX Tech, UTMB, and USUHS. I took my husband to each interview day, although he couldn't go in the interview with me. None of these schools seemed to mind, and most were glad that I had brought him. I think it also showed them that I have support to help me through. UTMB even arranged for couples to stay with other couples that are going to school there. So good luck.

Any school that actively discourages applicants from bringing a spouse along on the day of an interview might be a red-flag school for how well your spouse will be treated by that school once you matriculate.

Interviews don't last forever; even if there's no good spot for him or her to wait, there's likely a coffee shop, a nice place to chill with a book, or an interesting place to walk about nearby (whether a part of the school or not). It's really unlikely s/he can go into the interview with you, but a tour or lunch should be doable. Go for it!

I think there is always some confusion about this issue. From what I have heard, people often consider what you call "the interview" two separate events in the interview process.

Your spouse/significant other is going to be greatly affected by where you choose to go to medical school (if you have a choice, lucky you!) You should definitely bring them out to the "interview" that is, the entire process over a few days. If you can spend the extra time, have them come with you on a tour of the city, visit some local recreation areas (you may not have much free time, but need to spend some time with them or suffer the consequences). See what the neighborhood around the school is like. Are children a consideration, either now or in the near future? If so, what schools/day care, etc is available nearby. Is there a good job market for your spouse/SO? Do you both like the climate and "feel" of a city? These are all important issues that you both should consider. This may limit your accomodations during the interview (no staying with students I would guess) but you should do your best to bring them along.

However, they should NOT come along with you during the actual "interview" the time you spend at the medical school, on the official tour, mingling with other applicants, and the interview with faculty itself. I've seen it some myself, and heard much more: applicants who bring parents or boyfriends/girlfriends along with them during the whole day they are interviewed. Parents seem very overbearing, and make the applicant look immature. SO's are usually bored out of their skulls (they won't be interested in how many students there are to a cadaver) but don't reflect as poorly on the applicant.

So, what is the message? Bring your spouse with you for the whole process, but leave him/her someplace else while you are getting interviewed. Feel free to give them an informal tour, or explore the campus yourselves, but don't bring them along on any official functions provided by the school.