CARS-dependent Void

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

To anyone that has actually voided or would know when to void due to a bad CARS section: If you completely messed up your timing and ended up having to guess on 1 or 2 passages, would that warrant a void? I'd imagine that would destroy your CARS score, based on what I've seen for the number wrong to score ratio on the practice full lengths. It seems like if you miss more than 10-11 questions, you enter the CARS-too-low zone

I'm not sure if the curve on the real exam is more forgiving or something.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not forgiving from what I've seen. If you guess on 2 passages, I would definitely void. If you guess on one passage, I would still consider voiding depending on whether this is a retake exam or your first try. The reason being that you never can really tell how you did on CARS and if your answers are 100% correct. So guessing on them is always a risk :/

It depends on what score you are happy with and how well you think you did on the questions you didn't guess on (gauging this can be tricky).

What CARS score is in the too-low zone for the schools you are aiming for? Is this your weakest section, your strongest one? Are you usually accurate in your assessments of how you performed on practice tests? Did you finish all the questions in the other sections?

The answers to these questions can help guide your decisions.

It depends on what score you are happy with and how well you think you did on the questions you didn't guess on (gauging this can be tricky).

What CARS score is in the too-low zone for the schools you are aiming for? Is this your weakest section, your strongest one? Are you usually accurate in your assessments of how you performed on practice tests? Did you finish all the questions in the other sections?

The answers to these questions can help guide your decisions.

I always thought anything less than 125 was a cutoff for schools. I'd like to go to an MD school if possible

It is my weakest section. I got a 123 on AAMC FL 1 and a 126 on AAMC FL 2. What causes me to screw up is the anxiety. Once I get a difficult to understand passage, I usually start to freak out, and that messes up my timing. I'm just going to try and stay calm tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought anything less than 125 was a cutoff for schools. I'd like to go to an MD school if possible

It is my weakest section. I got a 123 on AAMC FL 1 and a 126 on AAMC FL 2. What causes me to screw up is the anxiety. Once I get a difficult to understand passage, I usually start to freak out, and that messes up my timing. I'm just going to try and stay calm tomorrow
If it's a specific passage like that, skip it. The moment you start feeling overwhelmed, move on.