CARS help. Cant interpret the meaning of this sentence..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endoscopee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really struggling on these EK passages from their 30 minute exams. I feel like I know exactly what the author is talking about, then I check my answers and get so many wrong...

I'm stuck on one of the sentences used in the passage:

"But she was the only one kept isolated for years, a result as much of prejudice toward the Irish & noncompliant women as of a public health threat."

Does this mean prejudice AND public health threat were EQUAL contributions to her isolation?

-OR-

Does it mean prejudice was MORE of a reason for her isolation, than her being a public health threat?

EDIT: typo

Members don't see this ad.

I believe they are saying they are equal. A result AS much of prejudice AS of public health threat. I see it as A=B=C kinda if that helps.

It means equal. For example, if I told you: "That guy was as funny as he was smart" you would think that he was funny and smart equally. Keep in mind that this subtle difference you are asking about should not make a significant difference in the answer you select. The AAMC /MCAT is not that picky when it comes to these things.