CARS HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnmoore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working on CARS passages but I am not seeing any improvement and I have a long ways to go, I am trying to get a 126.
What I am struggling with the most is not comprehending what I am reading, because I am so confused by these words. I need to improve my reading skills, but I am not sure how. I have almost completed ALL of Kaplan's practices stuff and I need more passages or some more reading material that is similar. I have tried reading scientific american but that does not help because it is related to science which I understand, so I do not have comprehension issue there. I need help if anyone has any suggestion for how I can improve I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

For me, what helps is doing a lot of highlighting. I try to highlight anything that seem important (which, after having done so many CARS practice passages, you get an idea of what things seem like they could be asked about), including main ideas, topics, adjectives indicating the author’s tone, any people/quotes mentioned, etc.

Not only does that help me refer back quickly once I get to the questions, but I’ve also found that it helps me understand what I’ve read more by slowing me down just a little bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
@mnmoore I would say highlighting is great for keeping focus but it's not absolutely necessary if you don't like it. The key is to focus on the sentences that you actually understand. Reading comprehension is not always about how many words you know. It's more about how well you can understand big points. In other words, how sharp you are.

Imagine if a two year old kept saying, "Water. Water." would you be sharp enough to understand what the two year old is trying to say? The MCAT is practically a two year old trying to see if you can figure out the big picture in what is considered a volatile/intimidating environment.

Hi,

I am kind of in the same shoes but I'm seeing some slight progress. I do 3 CARS passages everyday (except sunday = day off) since the beginning of the month. I used the AAMC CARS 1 and 2 question pack. I'm actually close to being done with it. I have the AAMC Official MCAT Guide which I plan on working on next week. But with the rate I'm going, I'm pretty sure I'll be done with those in less than a week. Does anyone know where I can get some more CARS practice resources? Please, let me know. It would be very helpful. Thanks!

Try not to focus on highlighting too much. You yourself should be able to create a mental map of the arguments and ideas discussed in the paragraphs.

Use the highlighter only to indicate certain names, explanations and examples for quick reference if need be.

You should be engaged in the reading such that you visualize what's going on. Along the way try to relate how everything is related or if there are any oppositions.

I scored a 4 on my VR 2 years ago.

I haven't done a full test yet this prep. But my scored have improved a ton. (Probably around 127/128)

CARS really tests your comprehension and mental flexibility.

Focus on relating big ideas rather than individual ones.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm loving the discussion here! I'm in the same shoes as OP and am wondering how I can improve in answering CARS questions. My timing is fine and I can usually read the passage somewhere between 2-3 minutes and have the rest of the 7-8 minutes doing the questions. I do find myself having to go back and referring to the passage quite often. I also highlight to stay focused and to remind myself of key points. How can I improve in answering questions?

I'm loving the discussion here! I'm in the same shoes as OP and am wondering how I can improve in answering CARS questions. My timing is fine and I can usually read the passage somewhere between 2-3 minutes and have the rest of the 7-8 minutes doing the questions. I do find myself having to go back and referring to the passage quite often. I also highlight to stay focused and to remind myself of key points. How can I improve in answering questions?

I've found spending more time reading the passage helped me a lot. I'll spend about 4 minutes reading, and then 5 - 6 answering questions (referring back to passage at times)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user