CARS Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmu29

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been studying and have awesome results C/P 123-129
B/B 125-130
P/S 123-129
But i cannot move my damn CARS score. I took the MCAT last year and got a 121 on CARS. On AAMC FL im getting 122-124. Ive tried so many techniques. I was never really much of a leisurely reader. But over the last year or two I definitely have been reading a lot more for pleasure. I have literally tried so many techniques from scanning, passage mapping, reading the passage really slowly and in depth and then doing the questions without going back. And my scores just not going anywhere. I have been practicing basically every day. Any advice? I would hate to have CARS ruin my MCAT score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, for some people, it's really hard to bring their CARS score up. Usually in your situation, I would suggest to try the techniques you mentioned when people see their scores stagnate. The only advice I can further give is to really analyze all the practice you do and try to be introspective when you do it. What I mean is, don't just go over a practice section and see why you got a question wrong by reading the explanation. Try to remember the exact thinking flow you had that led you to the correct answer, and at what point in your thinking you could have thought about it differently. Did you miss a word in the text? Did you ignore some modifier in the answer choice that made it just slightly incorrect? Eventually by doing this, you start to see patterns in how the test writers think, and all the questions start to look the same.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help-
Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Unfortunately, for some people, it's really hard to bring their CARS score up. Usually in your situation, I would suggest to try the techniques you mentioned when people see their scores stagnate. The only advice I can further give is to really analyze all the practice you do and try to be introspective when you do it. What I mean is, don't just go over a practice section and see why you got a question wrong by reading the explanation. Try to remember the exact thinking flow you had that led you to the correct answer, and at what point in your thinking you could have thought about it differently. Did you miss a word in the text? Did you ignore some modifier in the answer choice that made it just slightly incorrect? Eventually by doing this, you start to see patterns in how the test writers think, and all the questions start to look the same.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help-
Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Good advice thank you.
P.S just took another practice 130/122/130/129..... somethings wrong here lol

I'm in the same boat. I have only been seeing 123-125s on my practice exams, even with documenting my thought process and analyzing my reasoning. Anyone have any strategies on how to read more efficiently and/or how to attack questions more efficiently?

I'm in the same boat. I have only been seeing 123-125s on my practice exams, even with documenting my thought process and analyzing my reasoning. Anyone have any strategies on how to read more efficiently and/or how to attack questions more efficiently?
I get my results tomorrow so I guess I won't know for sure until then. However, I started reading a lot of posts and people were saying honestly there is no trick you just have to practice 100000 passages and eventually something sort of just clicks and you get it (which is super frustrating), however, I started to do that and it was literally like the flick of a switch. I went from scoring 40%-60% on FL sections/Q-pack/ etc and then the week before I was getting anywhere from 70%-90% ..... still just hoping for that 125+ on CARS but it'd be nice for a miracle hahahahaha