CARS question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camb370

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question on page 382-383 of the CARS part of the lesson book from Kaplan (I also posted this on the Kaplan forum before I realized that this would be the better forum, so sorry about that):

In question 33, the answer is B (Lydia Maria Child was listed on the title page as an editor), but I don't see why this should be the answer? In paragraph 4, it says that Yellin used the papers of Lydia Maria Child to find "Jacobs's letters and other documents that led to general recognition of Jacobs as the writer." Is there something that I'm missing? Thanks!!!

edit: the explanation says "Child is listed as the editor, but Yellin doesn't use this information to support her conclusion [that Jacobs wrote the book]"

Members don't see this ad.

Since only a subset of people have that book and an even smaller subset are motivated to go look for it, your chances of getting a response improve if there's more information.

Here's a screenshot of the passage. The question is:

33. Each of the following is used by Yellin to support the idea that Harriet Jacobs wrote Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl EXCEPT:
A. her daughter was educated as a teacher.
B. Lydia Maria Child was listed on the title page as its editor.
C. discussions of sexuality were deemed inappropriate for a woman in 1861.
D. the people and events cited in the book did in fact exist.

I'd be SO grateful for any help at all!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 6.13.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 6.13.38 PM.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 36
Okay, so you should be able to use the process of elimination fairly quickly here because A is ruled out by information in the fourth paragraph and C and D are ruled out by information in the final paragraph. These are cited directly as evidence that Yellin gave to support her conclusion. Now, here's why B is correct. While somebody might use the information that "Child is listed as the editor" as evidence that she only edited the book and didn't write it, Yellin didn't use that evidence. Presumably because people generally thought that despite Child being listed as the editor, the editor and the author were one and the same. So to disprove that, Yellin set out on her work. So Yellin never argued that "Child is listed as the editor; therefore, she can't be the author."

Thanks so much, I agree with that!! I was still thinking more along the lines of that because she was listed as the author, Yellin was able to use/study her papers, leading to the general recognition of Jacobs as the writer; thus, she used Lydia's name to go about doing all of this, supporting the idea that she was the author. I definitely agree that A, C, and D are in the passage, but I'm just a bit lost on that one part. i appreciate your help sososo much

Last edited: