SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

CARS Strategy Course with Jack Westin

Discussion in 'CARS Strategy Course with Jack Westin (Sponsored)' started by Jack Westin, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Jack Westin

Jack Westin CARS Instructor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Silver Donor Bronze Donor Exhibitor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2011
    SDN Exhibitor
    The CARS Strategy Course helps students master the CARS section of the MCAT. Students will learn how to read MCAT CARS passages and how to approach all CARS questions.

Each course meets online at the same time, once a week, every week for 6 weeks. (For example, yours could meet on Saturdays at 11 AM EST every week for 6 weeks). They are similar in size and scope to a university level course. Each course session is 3-4 hours and includes an hour of office hours. In addition to office hours after each session, I have Universal Office Hours set at different times throughout the week for current and prior students.

Please feel free to private message me your questions or to post your questions about the course in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. my045881

my045881 2+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Hey,

could you give a breakdown of a normal class session for the CARS strategy course? Thanks

Also, I understand that this is an intense course, but could you just breakdown why the class is worth $1450. I know that I need help with the CARS section, and this seems like a very premier course which is great, but I just want to understand it a bit better.

3. Jack Westin

Jack Westin CARS Instructor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Silver Donor Bronze Donor Exhibitor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2011
    SDN Exhibitor
    @my045881 this is not just a CARS course. It's actually an entire MCAT course. You will learn how to approach the entire test: how the MCAT thinks, and more importantly how you should think and answer questions. The course is focused on the psychological aspect of the MCAT (how to deal with panic, intimidation, confidence and so on) but at the same time, giving you a step by step method to read passages and answer even the most difficult questions.

A typical session is a lecture with a lot of interaction from each student. For instance, I'll explain something and then I'll ask every student to tell me what I just said or to answer questions to determine if they understand it. (Everything I discuss is super easy to understand but absolutely important). If for whatever reason a student does not understand something, I address it again in a different way. I also keep track of that student and the concept they do not get and I ask them to stay during office hours to address it more.

The interaction the course involves is integral to your learning. Just listening is not enough. I assess each student's thinking ability throughout the course and provide extra assistance and sessions to students who I believe need it. In as little as 6 weeks, students begin to see the exam in a way they can master.

If you look at the price in terms of the number of hours provided (nearly 50 hours if you include office hours), the course ends up costing as little as $30 an hour. But I don't think you should really look at it that way. Teaching should not be measured in terms of hours. Any random guy can give you hours on end of teaching for a great price but that doesn't mean you will improve.

Ask yourself this: would you rather sit in a class for a 100 hours and improve by 1 point or sit in class for 20 hours and improve by 5 points? Just because one offers more of his or her time does not mean you will improve more. It's the quality of the teaching that counts.

This class is worth the price published because of my experience, ability to teach, and my passion for teaching. I personally make sure to address each of my students and to be there for them until they take the exam and move on with this challenging chapter of their lives.

You are essentially getting an MCAT coach that has taught thousands and helped premedical students get into virtually every medical school in the US and Canada. I firmly believe this class is worthwhile to any premedical student serious about scoring high. I do not expect you to take my word for it. But I do expect you to do your research: read the FAQ, read the testimonials, come to a trial session, ask your friends, etc. I only want to teach those that truly want my help.

Keep in mind that the course does not teach a single science concept because that's the easy stuff. You can learn that from watching Khan videos, reading the TBR books, etc. That's the stuff pretty much every premed can improve on with little help. What's difficult on this exam is the reading comprehension, specifically the critical thinking involved to get the right answers. That's my expertise and that's what I think separates the mediocre scoring students from the great ones.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    aspiringdocO and my045881 like this.
  4. Mcoles

Mcoles

May 28, 2016
    Hi,

In your blog, it states to read dense material everyday, any suggestions on everyday reading sources (i.e., websites) ? or any other suggestions?

5. Jack Westin

Sep 11, 2011
    SDN Exhibitor
    Mcoles likes this.
  6. Positivevibes5

Positivevibes5

Dec 29, 2016
    The contact tab on your website is not working, how should students contact you about questions for courses.

7. Jack Westin

Sep 11, 2011
    SDN Exhibitor
    @Positivevibes5 I just private messaged you. Also, my team was able to resolve the issue. Sorry for any inconvenience!