Carver College of Medicine (UIowa) vs. Western Michigan Stryker SOM (plz help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiouzbroni

Reaction score
Carver College of Medicine (UIowa)

Pros:
-
strong hospital system with impressive residency programs in ortho, derm, etc
- distinction tracks in service; opportunity to volunteer with underserved & free clinics
- really liked Iowa City and the college town atmosphere
- strong match list and step scores

Cons:
-
From the west coast so winter seems overwhelming
- H/Near Honors/ Pass/ Fail curriculum: TBH this is holding me back from fully committing

Western Michigan Stryker SOM

Pros:
- P/F curriculum
- decompressed curriculum w/ 1 week breaks throughout first 2 years
- state of the art simulation center

Cons:
- Area surrounding the medical school seemed a bit sketchy; not really impressed with suburbs seemed kind of rural
- Harsh winters
- Newer school but they've had established residency programs in Kalamazoo for a long time

Summary: Both schools seemed to have a very supportive staff and collaborative student body and students take step in year 3. I think I'm learning more towards Carver, but the grading system makes me a bit hesitant because I'm not sure if it lends itself to more competition and stress. Can anyone speak to this? Would appreciate any and all input! TIA. *Also OOS tuition for both school*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Iowa hands down. The grading scheme will make little difference once step 1 comes around. I bet it’s there to reward those who score a 90 in a course so their efforts feel valued. Carver’s a great school and will take you to whatever specialty you like if you have the right profile

Reactions: 1 user