CAS Application "specialty electives and related activities"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDapp06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm working on the CAS application, and I was wondering what do programs want us to include in the "Specialty electives and related activities" short answer question. Does "specialty electives" refer to the ophthalmology electives we have done, both at home and away? Should we simply list these electives? For related activities, should we include anything related to ophthalmology such as interest groups or vision screenings? I am really unsure of what we are supposed to include our response to this short answer prompt. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

mdapp06

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, they are really just looking for you say you did an elective in ophthalmology. As long as you don't leave the space blank, I think you are golden. As far as related activities, I talked about my research. Not sure what else to put there..

Are you guys listing surgeries you observed/scrubbed in on for this section or just listing how many months you did doing ophthalmology electives?