CASE #1 - HIV Transfusion to hospitalized patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge-MED

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A hospitalized patient with Pseudomonas aeruginosa (a gram-negative and extracellular bacteria), gets contaminated by the HIV virus during a blood transfusion process. What would be the consequences for this patient?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends whether the patient signed anything acknowledging the 1 in some enormous number risk of it happening and how that will affect their settlement.

Also as far as your question goes, not enough information.

P.S They were exposed to contaminated blood products. Things are able to be contaminated, not people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Depends whether the patient signed anything acknowledging the 1 in some enormous number risk of it happening and how that will affect their settlement.

Also as far as your question goes, not enough information.

P.S They were exposed to contaminated blood products. Things are able to be contaminated, not people.
Thx for the reply, man

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with Celty, not enough info to really answer your question

Consequences would be that they contracted HIV :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
I mean it depends on how sick they are now, whether they're immunocompromised now, or a combination of other things such as whether the doctors immediately spot that they have an acute viral illnesses and start them on anti-retrovirals. I imagine that if someone who is already immunocompromised such as neutropenic or has CF and is already acutely or chronically ill gets acute hiv it may lead to a visit to the ICU and a long recovery.
If they're recovering and not immunocompromised, then they'll be on anti-retrovirals and aside from that they'll live about the same as someone who is negative.

But honestly the question is probably way beyond me and I honestly think that by in large HIV/Hep C transmission by blood products generally is a very very rare occurrence.