Case Files and AAFP questions sufficient for FM shelf's? What say ye?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RynoTheGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally like to use as few resources as possible...no...not because I'm lazy, but because I like to keep things simple - and honestly I don't want to stress myself out with feeling like I've got 10 books I MUST read in 6 weeks while juggling everything else. So for FM I'm thinking Case Files and the AAFP Questions....would you consider this enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about this too. Step up to Medicine is a great book, but I honestly won't have that kind of time available to me. Case Files was a agem for peds.

If you've had other rotations, then yes you'll know enough to honor.

If you haven't you may struggle w/ the peds/OB sections. Casefiles (with its 60 cases) doesn't have enough to cover all the knowledge of IM/Peds/OB that is required for the shelf.

I used case files + just a little bit of AAFP + some UWorld and did great, but that was b/c it was my last rotation.

Remember that AAFP is often way too in-depth for a shelf exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am using AAFP but trying to ignore the overly detailed questions. I have made a spread sheet of the what seems testable.

I have read blue prints and liked it so far. Am not going to reread it.

I read the ambulatory section of Step up to Medicine. I'll probably read it one more time before the shelf on the 23rd. might read some other sections.

This is my prep. FM is my first rotation, so I dunno how this is going to turn out.

Its a tough shelf exam. I just had it as my first rotation. With respect to the selection of questions on my particular shelf, pretest was really helpful. A few near identical questions. Ditto with AAFP. Actually I got a question about early feeding that im pretty sure was also on AAFP (if anyone remembers the answer let me know; it was about why you shouldn't intro solid foods early on in infancy)

I found casefiles to be absolutely garbage. The format is just not very high yield since its more so reading than questions and the reading is really low yield. If you like reading more than questions do this but i found swansons the best balance.

AAFP + Swansons + Pretest (the latter you can do in the days before the test, its very fast) should have you as covered as anyone can be.

Ill let you know how i ended up doing. I never finished all of swansons (just the adult and female health) and I still had 500 AAFP left. I did nearly all of pretest. I was fasting for ramadan at the time but really if I had just not bothered with casefiles and spent that time more wisely, i think i would have done much better.