Case Files for Family Medicine - Selected/Highest yield cases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thornburn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started my short FM clerkship and I'm still completely lost on what to study.

Everyone here seems to swear by Case Files. I really haven't been a fan of these in any of my other rotations, but like I said, I'm completely lost on what review book I should use.

I saw a couple of people mention "Selected Cases" on Case Files. Is there a list of the most highest yield cases in that book that I should really focus on?

Members don't see this ad.

I took my fam med shelf last week. Followed everyone else's advice on studying case files and barely passed the shelf. The FM shelf is basically an IM shelf with a little peds and OB. If I could do it again, I would do OME for IM, PEDs, and OB. Thats just my experience

I've heard ambulatory section of step up to medicine is great for FM shelf too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the ABFM Questions (697) twice and some of the FM cases and made some notes for myself, got 77th percentile on the shelf, which is better than normal. The curve is pretty easy though.

>A and B recommendations from USPSTF
>Case Files (all the cases in the book were very useful)
>Ambulatory Section, Muskuloskeletal Section, and Diseases of the Skin and Hypersensitivity Disorders Section in Step Up to Medicine
>UWorld peds questions (were useful for me)

I had no pediatric immunization schedule questions on my shelf, and almost no Ob/Gyn questions besides some questions on venereal diseases... not sure if I was lucky with my administration of the exam or not. This was my first shelf exam too, so that's why I did some of the UWORLD questions.

Reactions: 1 user