Case Files OBGYN vs High-risk Obstetrics vs Gynecologic Emergency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I own Case Files Obstetrics and Gynecology, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with / knows of the utility of Case Files High-risk Obstetrics and Case Files Gynecologic Emergency for the 2CK.

Based on the structure/timeline of my Australian school, I need to take the 2CK before I go through the OBGYN and peds rotations. Stupid, but it is what it is. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've also noticed some comments about the UWise (not UWorld) OBGYN questions. Can anyone comment on the utility of these for 2CK?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

For step 2 all you need is UWorld for OB. Since you have casefiles I'd go through that (only if you have time) but I don't think you'll need the other two.

I had OB last rotation of third year, used case files + uworld and murdered the shelf. The questions on step 2 were basically the "easy" questions from the shelf and I felt completely prepared for them.

Stick with UWorld. (For the record, I have no experience w/ UWise. Maybe it's great but UWorld definitely works)

Hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. That allays me a bit. I don't really have much time, so knowing that Case Files + UWorld was sufficient (at least in your case) is good to hear.

What about peds, @Wolverines83 ? Case Files + UWorld enough?
I used Casefiles, pretest and UWorld for the pediatrics shelf and I ended up with a score in the high 90s. I suspect that UWorld would be enough for the peds portion of CK as there are over 300 questions on it. I also found the Emma Ramahi powerpoint useful for peds. When are you planning on taking CK?

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 2 gynae questions are very straightforward (abruptio placenta, placenta previa, pre-eclampsia (almost like step 1 frankly). Expect lots of urinary incontinence questions tho (I had like 5-8 of them on mine o_O).

The stuff you know from MTB2 and Uworld will be enough to do well. If at anytime you find disagreement between the two resources you can use uptodate. For the latest on screening use the uspstf website, and grab your eithics/biostats from FA step 1. As far as peds, I can't really remember having too many peds questions on mine, but those 2 resources are all I used for the entire exam and I came out of the exam feeling good. (still waiting on that score tho)

I used Casefiles, pretest and UWorld for the pediatrics shelf and I ended up with a score in the high 90s. I suspect that UWorld would be enough for the peds portion of CK as there are over 300 questions on it. I also found the Emma Ramahi powerpoint useful for peds. When are you planning on taking CK?

Thanks for the input. That's very helpful. I haven't used Pretest, but I probably won't have time anyway. I'm taking the 2CK in December. I won't be nearly as prepped as I had been for Step 1, but that's life.

Step 2 gynae questions are very straightforward (abruptio placenta, placenta previa, pre-eclampsia (almost like step 1 frankly). Expect lots of urinary incontinence questions tho (I had like 5-8 of them on mine o_O).

The stuff you know from MTB2 and Uworld will be enough to do well. If at anytime you find disagreement between the two resources you can use uptodate. For the latest on screening use the uspstf website, and grab your eithics/biostats from FA step 1. As far as peds, I can't really remember having too many peds questions on mine, but those 2 resources are all I used for the entire exam and I came out of the exam feeling good. (still waiting on that score tho)

I'm glad to hear that your 2CK was pretty straightforward in terms of OBGYN. And I will have to look through the MTB2/3 stuff again, which was pretty good imo. I'll also take your advice and review the biostats/ethics from FA Step 1 before my 2CK.

Thanks for the input. That's very helpful. I haven't used Pretest, but I probably won't have time anyway. I'm taking the 2CK in December. I won't be nearly as prepped as I had been for Step 1, but that's life.
Oh okay. I'll look forward to your step 2 experience thread then, since I'm taking CK next May/June. Your step 1 experience was very helpful.