Case from last night.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
77 yo bed-bound pt sent to ED from home with police initiated Order of Protective Custody secondary to comments made to neighbor about his desire to "kill himself with a gun." Pt is bed-bound after CVA several years ago with recently dx advanced lung CA. Palative care only. Hospice involved. Full code.

I evaluate pt, dx with SI and UTI. Stable SaO2 low 90s on 3 liters. Base line hypotension 90s/50s. AOx3. Denies SI to us when he learns of intent to admit. Clear for transfer to our sister free-standing geropsych unit.

psych kicks the guy back to me via EMS. State he is "too sick to be there". I politely ask them what they expect me to do about it. Crickets.

Reeval. No change. Discuss condition with pt. Now DNR by my order and his wishes. Psych insists on medical consult to "follow along" in psych unit. Consultant agrees. Sent back to unit for eval of SI. Now that he is DNR they are comfortable accepting.

My hands are tied because I have a police OPC as above requiring psych eval. He just wants to go home and die.

In summary, terminally ill pt with low quality of life wants to die. I can't let him. Pt is sick enough for DNR order but not too sick for psych eval. Once the psych is able to note that the pt doesn't really want to die he will be allowed to go home and do just that.

Our system is idiotic.

Members don't see this ad.

What is wrong with our society and medical system that we can't let old people die?

I should be the one to decide how an when I die. When I'm old and infirmed, why can't I have someone give me a lethal dose of morphine? What is so wrong with this if I'm directing my own end?

In summary, terminally ill pt with low quality of life wants to die. I can't let him. Pt is sick enough for DNR order but not too sick for psych eval. Once the psych is able to note that the pt doesn't really want to die he will be allowed to go home and do just that.

Our system is idiotic.
I totally agree. I had a similar case a while back. Risk management wouldn't let me make the guy DNR because as a patient with suicidal ideation he was unable to make decisions for himself. Medically we all knew he was right but the risk managers have to head off the lawyers. He got admitted as a full code until psych could clear him to be allowed to make himself DNR. The really sad thing is that primary care is so bad around here that his suicidal ideation was the result of being a poorly cared for end stage CA patient who had never been told about hospice and just flet like he was a burden to his family.
77 yo bed-bound pt sent to ED from home with police initiated Order of Protective Custody secondary to comments made to neighbor about his desire to "kill himself with a gun." Pt is bed-bound after CVA several years ago with recently dx advanced lung CA. Palative care only. Hospice involved. Full code.
What hospice has patients who are full code? Why do they do these things?

Members don't see this ad :)
What hospice has patients who are full code? Why do they do these things?

In South Carolina, you don't have to be DNR to be hospice. I asked a hospice nurse about this as I showed my incredulity, and she agreed that it was uncommon and counterproductive, but didn't have a reason or solution.

In South Carolina, you don't have to be DNR to be hospice. I asked a hospice nurse about this as I showed my incredulity, and she agreed that it was uncommon and counterproductive, but didn't have a reason or solution.
Shows like ER and Rescue 911 have contributed to the misconception the public has that CPR revives people.

Shows like ER and Rescue 911 have contributed to the misconception the public has that CPR revives people.

I can sell people on the DNR, though - I start out with "without a decision, we always err on the side of 'life', because we can't undo 'death'. However, what we do borders on barbaric. The only patient I've ever done CPR on that I didn't break a rib was a 42 year old man. Now, as I say, we can't undo death, so, if you desire, we will do everything we can to save your <whomever>, if his/her heart stops or s/he stops breathing. I just don't want you to be surprised by what you see, and there is a chance that, if it does happen and we save him/her, s/he may be on a machine to breathe, and likely would only last a day, if that."

That usually seals the deal.

I'm more direct when it comes to selling it to the family.

I say "If the good Lord comes down tonight to take (insert name here) home, do you want us to try to stop Him?"

That usually works.

I'm more direct when it comes to selling it to the family.

I say "If the good Lord comes down tonight to take (insert name here) home, do you want us to try to stop Him?"

That usually works.
Heh, good one!

Some people either fail to grasp the notion of resuscitation (thinking they will be revived after this long terminal illness that took them to begin with), are in denial, or their family simply gives them too much grief or they feel like it would help their family to know that everything was done to prevent their death.

I evaluate pt, dx with SI and UTI. Stable SaO2 low 90s on 3 liters. Base line hypotension 90s/50s. AOx3. Denies SI to us when he learns of intent to admit. Clear for transfer to our sister free-standing geropsych unit.

psych kicks the guy back to me via EMS. State he is "too sick to be there". I politely ask them what they expect me to do about it. Crickets.

Reeval. No change. Discuss condition with pt. Now DNR by my order and his wishes. Psych insists on medical consult to "follow along" in psych unit. Consultant agrees. Sent back to unit for eval of SI. Now that he is DNR they are comfortable accepting.

My hands are tied because I have a police OPC as above requiring psych eval. He just wants to go home and die.

Our system is idiotic.

Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't think suicide should be illegal.

We had a case where a guy popped himself in the head, but was awake enough to communicate. I can't remember all the details, but he was vent dependent and conveyed his wishes to be taken off of the vent. This was acceptable.

The whole system is prone to circular logic. "I want to kill myself." Well, you're depressed, you can't make proper decisions. "How do you know I'm depressed?" Because you want to kill yourself.

mike

Suicide isn't illegal, nor punishable. If you're talking about assisted suicide, well, that's obviously a different story.

Suicide isn't illegal, nor punishable. If you're talking about assisted suicide, well, that's obviously a different story.
It may not be technically illegal but if you express a desire to try it or if you try it unsuccessfully in our society we (and I do mean we since all EM folks have to participate in this farce daily) will arrest you and hold you until you no longer express a desire to do it. Telling someone you plan to rob a bank will not get you incarcerated anywhere near as quickly as telling them you want to off yourself.

PS- I've had nore then one person dumped in my ED by the police for "homicidal ideation" after they threatened to kill someone. So in reality criminal ideation and suicidal ideation are handled about the same.

PS- I've had nore then one person dumped in my ED by the police for "homicidal ideation" after they threatened to kill someone.

Here in Texas, we're required by law, in this circumstance, to ask if the person they intended to kill deserved it. Then, depending on whether or not we agree with them, we decide if we're gonna keep 'em or help 'em.

Take care,
Jeff

Suicide is illegal in some states, although rarely punished, for obvious reasons, and what others have replied to you.

Thanks for playing.

mike

Suicide is illegal in some states

Indiana is one of them....apparently you can get jail time for it but I've never heard of it actually happening. I would imagine because the ACLU would have a field day with it.

But you're right, it shouldn't be illegal. I think we have a right to determine when and how we exit this world, and that should not be constrained by the misguided religious beliefs of others.

I'm just wondering how they would punish a person with a successful suicide attempt...would be interesting to see.

Here in Texas, we're required by law, in this circumstance, to ask if the person they intended to kill deserved it. Then, depending on whether or not we agree with them, we decide if we're gonna keep 'em or help 'em.

Take care,
Jeff
Texas - Where "he needed killin'" is a viable defense.;)

Suicide is illegal in some states, although rarely punished, for obvious reasons, and what others have replied to you.

Thanks for playing.

mike

You're right, partially anyway. There are some states where the law is still on the books, however, our lovely state, Ohio, isn't one of them. My reply was directed to your concern about your patient who wanted to off himself, presumably also in Ohio. Additionally, there are quite a few absurd laws that are still on the books that aren't enforced that nobody has bother to remove. While technically illegal is some states, suicide has never been punished in the USA.

You're right, partially anyway. There are some states where the law is still on the books, however, our lovely state, Ohio, isn't one of them. My reply was directed to your concern about your patient who wanted to off himself, presumably also in Ohio. Additionally, there are quite a few absurd laws that are still on the books that aren't enforced that nobody has bother to remove. While technically illegal is some states, suicide has never been punished in the USA.
Yes, like in the town where I grew up, it was illegal to drive a chicken truck down Main Street from 9 am til noon on Sundays.

Yes, like in the town where I grew up, it was illegal to drive a chicken truck down Main Street from 9 am til noon on Sundays.
It's illegal in Indiana to have sex with a virgin. Even on her wedding night.....figure that one out.

Of course, that's also the state where if you're in a bar band and you play "Louie, Louie" it's considered a obscene act and you can get 6 months in prison.

The website recommended by Bent Aub said:
It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

Wow.....the folks from Cali must be packing some bigger weapons than I thought.

"I swear officer, I have a concealed carry permit for my howitzer."

It is illegal to own a mongoose without a permit.

OK, where do you get a permit for said mongoose? (BTW, I know the reasoning behind this law)

According to (Illinois) state law, it is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is ``American.''

Nice. Someone really thought that one out didn't they?

(Kentucky) State law stipulates that a person is considered sober until he or she ``cannot hold onto the ground.''

:laugh: