Case Lerner COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lerner only accepts about 35 students. Anyone know anything about what my chances are, interviewing in Dec or Jan in the cycle? I think they interview about 200 students, so chances are slim anyway. Anyone know someone from there or go there and can give me info on how "good" this program is and/or whether it's worth interviewing this late for a small class??? :)

Members don't see this ad.

discus said:
Lerner only accepts about 35 students. Anyone know anything about what my chances are, interviewing in Dec or Jan in the cycle? I think they interview about 200 students, so chances are slim anyway. Anyone know someone from there or go there and can give me info on how "good" this program is and/or whether it's worth interviewing this late for a small class??? :)

I interviewed in september and I fell in love with the school. :love: Still haven't heard anything. If they really like you, they will call you a few days after the interview, otherwise, I think it is not roll in admission and they wait until the very end. I don't know how they evaluate their applicants. My stats are somewhat average and if I get accepted, I'll be the luckiest and happiest person alive. :D :thumbup: :D

Their class size is 35 so they will accept more than 35. I would say about 100.

Members don't see this ad :)
tennisnr2 said:
Their class size is 35 so they will accept more than 35. I would say about 100.

I guess last year they accepeted around 70, and about 200 people interviewed. I'll be going up there during the 2nd week of Dec, I can't wait! :)

Ashanti Rock said:
I guess last year they accepeted around 70, and about 200 people interviewed. I'll be going up there during the 2nd week of Dec, I can't wait! :)
December 8th for me. It'll be a wicked ripper... If only I could speak intelligently about my research.
:scared:

Class size is 32... what other questions do you have? Happy to answer them as best I can.

Good luck on your interviews. CCLCM is a great place. I bet you'll like it. The number of positions is small and the number of applicants is rising each year. Makes it harder and harder to figure out what "they" are looking for.

stopper10 said:
Class size is 32... what other questions do you have? Happy to answer them as best I can.

Good luck on your interviews. CCLCM is a great place. I bet you'll like it. The number of positions is small and the number of applicants is rising each year. Makes it harder and harder to figure out what "they" are looking for.

How often are they changing the curriculum? Is it working for you? Does the small class size help out a lot? Maybe elaborate on day to day activities and the opportunities that you have been given at CCLCM (if you have the time).

Thanks!

firebird69guy said:
How often are they changing the curriculum? Is it working for you? Does the small class size help out a lot? Maybe elaborate on day to day activities and the opportunities that you have been given at CCLCM (if you have the time).

Thanks!

they answer all these questions at the interview!

DetectiveChubby said:
they answer all these questions at the interview!

it'd be nice to hear it from an actual student beforehand

firebird69guy said:

Thanks!
as far as i know the college program isnt changing anything. the university program (case) is changing dramatically next year.

firebird69guy said:
How often are they changing the curriculum?

As mentioned by another poster, the Case curriculum is undergoing a major change. I don't really know anything about it as it is almost totally separate from our curriculum. Our curriculum is not changing majorly, but is tweaked constantly. We give feedback all the time (weekly, end of block, informally, formally, etc) and thsi feedback is used to change things abotu the program and curriculum.

firebird69guy said:
Is it working for you?

Is the curriculum working? Definitely. Its a little different not studying for the "test" but once you adjust you start to really take off and enjoy what you are learning. I know, med school isn't supposed to be fun, right? Well, I am having a better time than I ever thought I would.

firebird69guy said:
Does the small class size help out a lot?

I think that the small class size is a huge part of this. Workign in small groups, you are really responsible for participating and moving the group forward. If you need it, this will motivate you to do the work. Also, the opportunities we get, going out into a fantastic hospital to learn about these concepts durign the first year! Unbelievable and unmatched from what my friends at other major med schools tell me. For instance, going and watching catheterizations during the time we are learning about coronary arteries helps really cement the knowledge. With a larger group of students, this just wouldn't be possible.

firebird69guy said:
Maybe elaborate on day to day activities and the opportunities that you have been given at CCLCM (if you have the time).

Thanks!

Every day is different. Really, it is. You'll get more info at the interview and you can also check out the website

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/cclcm/

it has some info on general schedules and stuff. Happy to answer questions and help spread some info on the best med school out there.

Thanks for the info.. =)

Glad to hear you're having a good time. :thumbup: Right now I'm thinking that I'd do well at a school like this.. From what I have read, it looks like a good fit for me. Hopefully the interviewers think that on Dec. 16th!

so is this accurate:

about 200 interviewed vs. 70 accepted?
what makes them really sold on a student (besides of course research and numbers)

does it help to tell them that they are your top choice?
thanks!

bsteves4 said:
so is this accurate:

about 200 interviewed vs. 70 accepted?
what makes them really sold on a student (besides of course research and numbers)

does it help to tell them that they are your top choice?
thanks!

The best advice is to be yourself. The interview is the one way to assess your individual personality, your enthusiasm for research, and your maturity. I would have to say that the class is a diverse collection of personalities and backgrounds so it's hard to say exactly what they are looking for.

However, it's always a good idea to let the school know they are your top choice after interviewing with a letter of intent.

Good luck!
Nina

Anyone know how many people gets in off the waitlist? I interviewed early Nov, and got wailisted last week.