Case matched 8 ophtho? Can someone confirm this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by exmike
http://cerebrum.cwru.edu/newsrelease/MatchDay.htm

Says 8 matched in this press release? If so, thats amazing.

I believe CWRU had 10 people applying. If so, what happened to the other two? If this is the case, then it's pretty much like the national average of about 80% match rate. Regardless, that's not bad and that speaks highly of the individuals. I have heard from some of the Case applicants on the interview trail that their program is not very good, and their department is mediocre. When I went Case to interview, I was not impressed. However, some of the Case applicants did mention that they rotated through the Cleveland Clinic and got letters from influential faculty there. So I suppose the potential to do well in the match is there. It is not my intention to bash CWRU. I think the med school is excellent, I just was not impressed by their ophtho program.

By the way, where did they match?

Good luck with your decision, and I think you should still go to Case. Just do an ophtho rotation at the Cleveland clinic and you will be fine.

Originally posted by SnapperK
When I went Case to interview, I was not impressed. However, some of the Case applicants did mention that they rotated through the Cleveland Clinic and got letters from influential faculty there.

Welcome to the ophthalmology forum!

Where did you match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
Welcome to the ophthalmology forum!

Where did you match?

Thanks for the welcome! I matched at one of the top 10 eye departments on the USNews ranking. I would defer being more specific for now. From reading the posts of the many applicants on this board, I'm just happy that I matched!

Originally posted by SnapperK
Thanks for the welcome! I matched at one of the top 10 eye departments on the USNews ranking. I would defer being more specific for now. From reading the posts of the many applicants on this board, I'm just happy that I matched!

Awesome! Just make sure you come back and contribute as a resident. ;)

Wash U
U Chicago
UNC
U Michigan (2)
U Illinois-Chicago
MEEI
Akron
Cleveland Clinic (graduate of last year's CWRU class)

Only 9 applied, one of which was the class of 2003.

That is certainly an impressive list of programs! Way to go for those guys and gals!

A prior poster came strong on CWRU Ophtho, and as I really liked the program and matched there, I would like to point out something.

Case is a top tier medical school in the US. This is not just US News, but also national reputation. With that said, the students coming out of Case are excellent and matched as such this year (several top 20 programs).

The word "mediocre" is harsh, as I firmly believe CWRU to be an above average training program. It is not a top 20 program, and if you are in the top 20 boat, I understand why you are "not impressed" and why it would pale in comparison to the high caliber programs you might have visited.

Regardless, I only posted this to point out that people that are "top 20" caliber tend to make loaded comments that are skewed towards the higher caliber applicants.

If you love ophthalmology, want above average training, were an above average applicant, but didn't have Wilmer, Bascom, and Jules Stein knocking on your door, take some of the comments made on this forum with a grain of salt.

Isnt it better to look at the average number of students matching into a specialty over a period of a few years. I was looking at a couple schools match lists over a period of 2 years, and noticed HUGE variation in the number of matches in specific fields.

I just wished schools made that information more available!

Originally posted by Gleevec
Isnt it better to look at the average number of students matching into a specialty over a period of a few years. I was looking at a couple schools match lists over a period of 2 years, and noticed HUGE variation in the number of matches in specific fields.

I just wished schools made that information more available!

Congrats on your acceptance to Baylor! Great program.

Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
Congrats on your acceptance to Baylor! Great program.

Oh wow thanks! I apprecate it :)

But yeah, its kind of interesting to see the sometimes extreme variation in match lists from year to year. I think that really lends credence to the belief that it has less to do with the institution and more to do with individuals.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Oh wow thanks! I apprecate it :)

But yeah, its kind of interesting to see the sometimes extreme variation in match lists from year to year. I think that really lends credence to the belief that it has less to do with the institution and more to do with individuals.

I noticed that and was thinking the exact same thing.

University of Alabama at Birmingham

We had 7 out of the 8 who applied match out of our class. This is the match list.

1) Medical Univ of South Carolina Charleston, SC Ophthalmology

2) U Tennessee Coll of Med Memphis, TN Ophthalmology

3) U Alabama Med Ctr Birmingham, AL Ophthalmology

4) U Mississippi Med Ctr Jackson, MS Ophthalmology

5) Pacific Presbyterian Med Ctr San Francisco, CA Ophthalmology

6) U Texas Medical School Houston, TX Ophthalmology

7) U Alabama Med Ctr Birmingham, AL Ophthalmology

I heard Harvard had 12 matching in Ophtho this year.

Can someone tell me where they matched? I know 1 of them is going to Baylor.

I agree that individual performance is more important than school name. People with very good scores and other impressive credentials have to worry least about their school reputation as long as they don't want to go to Wilmer/Bascom/MEEI.