Case of the Month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeping beauty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is a real case i grossed yesterday.

can you guess which following foreign body is the one removed from rectal-sigmoid colon of 43 yo M:

A, condom
B, toy
C, light bulb
D, roll of tissue
E, screwdriver
F, carrot

Members don't see this ad.

All are plausible answers, as I've heard stories from ER physicians / seen CTs-xray films of all of these, well, except the roll of tissue...

Since you had to gross it, I'm going to guess C, light bulb, which broke and resulted in massive hemmorage requiring a partial colectomy... although I suppose if you had some ER docs/surgeons with a sense of humor they could've sent you a screwdriver as a "gross only"...

When I was doing my Surg Path elective, we had someone submit an insect from someone's ear canal as a "foreign body"...

BH

(later edit: since it is so singularly unique, I have to think now, maybe it was the roll of tissue...)

It definitely was the carrot in this guy...

Members don't see this ad :)
A toy can be defined as something that is used for amusement. So, this must be the right answer. Unless it's like the case I had where a dude claimed he was assaulted, knocked unconscious, and woke up with a huge foreign body in his rectum.

this is a real case i grossed yesterday.

can you guess which following foreign body is the one removed from rectal-sigmoid colon of 43 yo M:

A, condom
B, toy
C, light bulb
D, roll of tissue
E, screwdriver
F, carrot

All of the above?

We had a repeat offender...the best was a ripe green papaya. I also received a carrot, to which my tech replied "how did it get through his entire GI tract intact?!":laugh:

anyone else wants to bet before i give the answer?

I'm going to have to go with roll of tissue, just because the others are just too common:)

Although he could have been using the roll of tissue to insert small mammals up there (supposedly they will crawl through the tubing :eek::eek::eek:)

I'll go with screwdriver. It could've perfed the patient and... necessitated a resection? Hmm, now that I type that, it seems like a fairly radical cure for a screwdriver-induced perf. But maybe if it was a Phillips head?

final answer: screwdriver 20cm in length and 3cm in diameter.

obviously it was not long enough for him. that's why it was lost in sigmoid colon.:laugh:

I'll go with screwdriver. It could've perfed the patient and... necessitated a resection? Hmm, now that I type that, it seems like a fairly radical cure for a screwdriver-induced perf. But maybe if it was a Phillips head?

Original post just says foreign body, not colon with foreign body.

What do I win?

And if it is a screwdriver , I DON'T want it.

obviously attendings are more experienced in diagnosis, including diagnosis of weird thing.

Original post just says foreign body, not colon with foreign body.

What do I win?

And if it is a screwdriver , I DON'T want it.

If it's a carrot, will it stands a chance to just be pooped out? I am sure a condom can.

final answer: screwdriver 20cm in length and 3cm in diameter.

Phillips or flathead? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

In my 6 week surgery rotation I saw a golf ball and pink dildo stuck up young guys asses and a ketchup bottle and small vibrator in the asses of two different 18-20 year-old females. The vibrator was still vibrating when I manually removed it.

The things people do when they are alone...