Case or UNLV or Creighton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weissbj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now, Im only in Case. I should be hearing back from both UNLV and Creighton this month. Assuming I got into both...where should I go? And why?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you live in Utah?

i've heard a rumor that too many people accepted case's offer again, so i'd say go to one of the others.

...i have no idea if that rumor is true though, it is just something i over heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV all the way. That school has a lot going for it.
Here's my ranking...although they're all great schools.
UNLV>Case>Creighton

UNLV all the way. That school has a lot going for it.
Here's my ranking...although they're all great schools.
UNLV>Case>Creighton

Go for Case for sure (I'm still waiting to get in to creighton or UNLV) - but seriously if it were me - cost of living in Omaha cant be beat and you will be better prepared clinically than UNLV (dont know about case) - but UNLV does have nice weather and the las vegas scene going for it.

Yes I live in Utah...but Im a California resident. So the Utah-Creighton program doesn't apply. My wife is from Ohio though

If you don't qualify for the RDEP, then I wouldn't consider Creighton due to location, cost, and facilities. The clinic was outstanding, but there are too many cons.

I was actually accepted to all three and had great experiences at all three interviews.

I have many concerns about UNLV, I actually spoke with Brownstein a few times on the issue of losing state funding. I understand that everything right now is rumors, but hearing rumors from important poeple within the field scared the shat out of me. The cirriculum is tough and great at the same time. Housing is a bitch in Vegas. The numbers keep going up and then leveling way off. I wouldn't consider buying a home there. It is way too risky.

All of that said, I would choose Case by default. Housing is relatively cheap and near the school. The cirriculum is working out great according to D-1's, and the school has a superb reputation. The cost at Case is the only cause for concern, but compared against the other two schools $270,000 isn't much more than UNLV's $250,000. I never ran the numbers for your situation on Creighton, as I am RDEP. I am assuming it will be closer to Case's cost than UNLV's cost.

For what its is worth, I would feel most comfortable at Case given my situation and alll the variables involved. Good Luck my man.:luck:

EDIT: oh and if your wife is from Ohio, then your decision may be already made. ::wink::

If you don't qualify for the RDEP, then I wouldn't consider Creighton due to location, cost, and facilities. The clinic was outstanding, but there are too many cons.

I was actually accepted to all three and had great experiences at all three interviews.

I have many concerns about UNLV, I actually spoke with Brownstein a few times on the issue of losing state funding. I understand that everything right now is rumors, but hearing rumors from important poeple within the field scared the shat out of me. The cirriculum is tough and great at the same time. Housing is a bitch in Vegas. The numbers keep going up and then leveling way off. I wouldn't consider buying a home there. It is way too risky.

All of that said, I would choose Case by default. Housing is relatively cheap and near the school. The cirriculum is working out great according to D-1's, and the school has a superb reputation. The cost at Case is the only cause for concern, but compared against the other two schools $270,000 isn't much more than UNLV's $250,000. I never ran the numbers for your situation on Creighton, as I am RDEP. I am assuming it will be closer to Case's cost than UNLV's cost.

For what its is worth, I would feel most comfortable at Case given my situation and alll the variables involved. Good Luck my man.:luck:

EDIT: oh and if your wife is from Ohio, then your decision may be already made. ::wink::

I've spoken with Dr. Brownstein about this as well and I attended an AGD meeting with some faculty from UNLV to discuss this rumor. It's NOT true. Also, you get in-state tuition after your first year. Therefore, UNLV comes out being cheaper than Case. Good luck with your decision.

That is exactly what I said, UNLV is cheaper than Case. I even gave the figures.

About the rumor, that is also what I said, it is only a rumor. But it definitely is something that has been discussed by the faculty. So there is always that concern with a new school.

i would choose Case because i feel i would be a better clinician straight out of dental school after having gone there as opposed to the other two. plus, it's just more well established. if money is a major concern, i think creighton's area is one of the least costly in the US, or so they claim.