case presentation

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by APACHE3, Nov 24, 2005.

1. APACHE3

APACHE3 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Just how do I go about preparing a case presentation for my IM interview?
    I didn't have many zebra cases? What do they (PD's) want to hear? Any suggestions? :eek:

2. BigBadBix

BigBadBix Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I didn't have many zebras either. I think they just want to hear about a patient that was interesting and memorable to you in some way. I would suggest using a case that represents what you enjoy about internal medicine, or that taught you something new.

3. APACHE3

APACHE3 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I had many cases I thought were interesting. Hmmm, maybe Mr. Smith's impaction problem??? :D

4. BStein76

BStein76 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just used one of cases I had used for my required internal medicine EBM write-up (from my medicine core rotation). It was easy because I already did the research and I could quote articles about the patient case. I also checked Up to date and did a Pubmed clinical query for any new trials about my topic just to make sure nothing changed in the last year.

5. APACHE3

APACHE3 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks, thats a very good suggestion. I guess I do have a couple of good cases I can discuss. But I need to do so quick homework..up to date sounds good. thanks :thumbup: