Case Report - When is it acceptable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is it acceptable to write case reports? Only if rare disease and if uncommon presentation of a normal disease?

What is classified as a "rare disease"?

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of reasons actually even beyond rare diseases. Look at the author guidelines for any major journal in your field that accepts case reports for a sense of what they publish.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rare diseases, uncommon presentation, mysterious presentation, interesting/complex management, etc. Plus, what operaman said.

Thanks guys. Pushing father to write more case reports as lately he has seen many interesting cases. Father is pathologist.

Do you think this would look odd having father and son on paper? I'm an M2

Thanks guys. Pushing father to write more case reports as lately he has seen many interesting cases. Father is pathologist.

No. At this stage, just get yourself on any paper.

Reactions: 1 users

Do you think this would look odd having father/son on paper? I'm an M2

I've seen plenty of husband/wife combos. If you're an author that should mean that you had a significant role, although there are of course instances where this isn't true. Still, I don't really see a big problem with writing papers with your father.

Case reports are easy to write but hard to get published. They are fun, but worth the effort only if the case is VERY unusual and interesting.

My brother is on 3 of my publications as a pre-med. If you do the work, there is nothing wrong with being on the same publication if you are family.

Case reports are easy to write but hard to get published. They are fun, but worth the effort only if the case is VERY unusual and interesting.

Maybe it depends on the field, but this has not been my experience. Getting something into JVS is hard, but lord knows there are a ton of other publications that will take anything remotely interesting.

Definitely do it, but be ready to talk about it in person... you don't want to look like a tag-along