Case Second Look Weekend!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I just got an envelope from Case. They WILL have a Second Look Weekend April 1-3. Who from SDN is plannin' to go? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if I get an envelope such as yours I'll be there. When did you interview? I'm trying to gauge their turnaround time.

What did the letter say? I just interviewed there, and I liked it. Right now its my 2nd choice, if I get accepted :) My 1st waitlisted me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Larsitron said:
Well, if I get an envelope such as yours I'll be there. When did you interview? I'm trying to gauge their turnaround time.

I interviewed on November 7th and I received the acceptance on December 1st.

gbiz said:
What did the letter say? I just interviewed there, and I liked it. Right now its my 2nd choice, if I get accepted :) My 1st waitlisted me.

The letter is an invitation for a Second Look Weekend. It comes with a program of the activities they have planned for the three days (Fri-Sun). They pay for your hotel room for both nights and they will reimburse you for travel expenses (up to $300). So essentially everything is covered. Sweet! :thumbup:

Do they invite everyone for second look or just specific people?

TMag said:
The letter is an invitation for a Second Look Weekend. It comes with a program of the activities they have planned for the three days (Fri-Sun). They pay for your hotel room for both nights and they will reimburse you for travel expenses (up to $300). So essentially everything is covered. Sweet! :thumbup:

Damn! I haven't received the invite, but I'll be there if I get one.

leiface said:
Do they invite everyone for second look or just specific people?

I'm pretty sure they invite everyone who received an acceptance. If you were accepted and haven't gotten the invite yet, you'll probably get it early this week. I got mine on Friday, so I'm sure these will pop up in people's mailboxes within the next few days.

TMag said:
I'm pretty sure they invite everyone who received an acceptance. If you were accepted and haven't gotten the invite yet, you'll probably get it early this week. I got mine on Friday, so I'm sure these will pop up in people's mailboxes within the next few days.

Sweet!!!!! Hopefully I'll get it in the next day or two... Thanks for the heads up, TMag.

Mr. Seeds said:
Sweet!!!!! Hopefully I'll get it in the next day or two... Thanks for the heads up, TMag.

No prob. Just seeing how many people from SDN are planning to go.

Word on the street is that you guys will get to stay at the four star intercontinental hotel (but dont take my word for it, it might be lerner program only). You guys also get to go to our "Doc Opera" student theatrical show which is a fundraiser for the cleveland free clinic. It's usually pretty entertaining. Welcome :)

Whee! I'm excited.

Last time I was in Cleveland (interviewing), I stayed in Richmond Heights with challenging relatives. This sounds much more fun.

hey peeps,

guess i'll see you guys there. i'm still pissed that case's 2nd look is on the same day as ohio state's (what the hell? lots of people are trying to decide between those two schools. sheesh), but all may be forgiven if they put us up in that fancy hotel exmike mentioned!

btw, is anyone bringing a spouse/etc? is that kosher? i guess i'm kinda new to this 2nd look stuff. sorry if that question is stoopid! :D

sd

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of bringing my spouse (well boyfriend of 6 years, isn't that good enough?) Does anyone think that they might reimburse travel costs for him too, I doubt it.

exmike said:
Word on the street is that you guys will get to stay at the four star intercontinental hotel (but dont take my word for it, it might be lerner program only). You guys also get to go to our "Doc Opera" student theatrical show which is a fundraiser for the cleveland free clinic. It's usually pretty entertaining. Welcome :)

Yup! The letter said they'd put us up in the InterContinental Suites hotel!! They give us a program too...and the Doc Opera is definitely on there. I cant wait.

Just got the invitation today! I will definately be there. :thumbup:

See ya there, TMag and everyone else.

Some more good new for the Class of '09

The school has been evaulating Tablet PCs for your class (as you know, every case med student gets a laptop). They've given us a few of them to play with and they are awesome. For you guys that dont know, Tablet PC's have a swivel and tilt screen that folds over the keyboard so you can write on it like a notebook. The reason for this is because our Syllabi are online as well as in print. With the tablet PC, you can directly annotate your syllabus while in class direcly into the computer! Should be cool. Some of us joke about flunking year one so we can get our hands on a tablet PC.

I got my invitation today too! yay! Though I think they forgot to send the itinerary with mine because I can't find anything that says doc opera. Can someone give a run down on what's going on this weekend? Thanks!

leiface said:
I got my invitation today too! yay! Though I think they forgot to send the itinerary with mine because I can't find anything that says doc opera. Can someone give a run down on what's going on this weekend? Thanks!

Friday, April 1, 2005 3:30pm-11pm
* Registration
* Reception and dinner
* Tour of Cleveland Sites
* Entertainment

Saturday, April 2, 2005 8am-11pm
* Dean's Breakfast
* Variety of presentations by key school leaders
* Individual financial aid consultations at student request
* Lunch
* Small group sessions with faculty
* Tours of school and local areas
* Dinner with students and alumni
* Entertainment - medical school's Doc Opera presentation
* Optional student party following Doc Opera

Sunday, April 3, 2005 9am-11am
* Breakfast
* Questions and Feedback
* Continue to explore Cleveland on your own if you would like

exmike said:
Some more good new for the Class of '09

The school has been evaulating Tablet PCs for your class (as you know, every case med student gets a laptop). They've given us a few of them to play with and they are awesome. For you guys that dont know, Tablet PC's have a swivel and tilt screen that folds over the keyboard so you can write on it like a notebook. The reason for this is because our Syllabi are online as well as in print. With the tablet PC, you can directly annotate your syllabus while in class direcly into the computer! Should be cool. Some of us joke about flunking year one so we can get our hands on a tablet PC.

Did they officially decide that '09 students would get the Tablet PCs? If so, did they announce which manufacturer?

only accepted applicants are invited for second look? anyone get invited from highpriority hold? I WANTA GO!!

How do you find out if you're a regular bozo hold or a high-priority hold? I wanna go toooooo.....

Has anyone heard about merit scholarship applications yet?

mmarine said:
Has anyone heard about merit scholarship applications yet?

word here at SDN seems to be that only selected people get to apply, and that they let you know if you are one of them in your acceptance letter. I have absolutely no idea if there is any truth to this, though.

Yeah, I dropped the ball on the merit scholarship info...I'm going to call tomorrow. I also haven't received a second look invite. I was accepted and all, but shouldn't I have gotten something closer than less than a month in advance?

Larsitron said:
Yeah, I dropped the ball on the merit scholarship info...I'm going to call tomorrow. I also haven't received a second look invite. I was accepted and all, but shouldn't I have gotten something closer than less than a month in advance?
hehe, don't worry, i called. the lady said if you didn't get any info with your acceptance, your ass is grass.

straight bullsh.t, i tells ya!

superdevil said:
the lady said if you didn't get any info with your acceptance, your ass is grass.

Were those her exact words? :D

Larsitron said:
Were those her exact words? :D
nah, just paraphrasing. ;) i'm still pretty pissed about it, though. i kind of wanted to argue with her and resort to childish name-calling when i learned that i wasn't qualified for a case scholarship, but i figured that would not bode well for my financial aid package.

superdevil said:
nah, just paraphrasing. ;) i'm still pretty pissed about it, though. i kind of wanted to argue with her and resort to childish name-calling when i learned that i wasn't qualified for a case scholarship, but i figured that would not bode well for my financial aid package.

damn, SD, if you aren't qualified for a merit-based scholarship I wonder who in the hell is.

Mr. Seeds said:
damn, SD, if you aren't qualified for a merit-based scholarship I wonder who in the hell is.
:D hey, thanks a million, seeds. :oops: seriously, though, it does make me wonder. a 95th percentile mcat and a 99th percentile gpa with 3 years of research doesn't cut it to apply? hell, i even live just a hop, skip, and jump away from case! i would have attended in a heartbeat with a scholarship, but now things are back to being clear as mud. :laugh:

hope the rest of you have better luck than me! :luck:

I had a two line letter way back, but I haven't heard anything from them in awhile. I was wondering about actual applications. It seems like decision time is getting kind of close, so they would maybe be sending that out and letting us know in time to make an informed one...