Case vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eerie234

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I've got to make this decision in about 2 days (if i want to decide by NYU's May 1 deadline). Do you have any thoughts about which school I should pick? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I kind of feel like thinking about it myself I might forget something important.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough decision. Did you get fin aid packages from either institution? where are you a resdient of? where do you want to practice?

You know, I think it is BS that NYU is making you decide by May 1st. They won't know you are still accepted to Case for quite some time, so if you needed more time, you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, but I would pick NYU because of location.

I'm not a resident of either state, so that doesn't matter. I am interested in emergency medicine right now, and I can't really tell who is better with that (although i know Bellevue wouldn't be a bad place to learn).

Jalby said:
Oh, but I would pick NYU because of location.

Location is obviously important to some people and not to others. OP is the only one that can judge that of course. I personally find the opportunity to rotate at cleveland clinic an opportunity hard to pass up.

In that case, NYU all the way. You can't underestimate the type of training you would get at Bellevue for ER.

Jalby said:
In that case, NYU all the way. You can't underestimate the type of training you would get at Bellevue for ER.

I'd have to wonder how much "training" you'll really get going through one rotation at a given hospital though. I would think that is something you would consider more for where you choose your residency. For example, a ER resdiency at bellevue NYC is probably a lot better than one at boondocks community hospital.

Although NYU has Belleveue I think it's a no-brainer for Case. Case by far has one of the best integrated curriculums I've seen and is one of the jewels of the Midwest. I think the BSTP exemplifies the committment of CWRU to creating free thinking doctors and the fact that there is constant continuous interactions between all the graduate schools helps put CWRU within the top 20 every year!

On an aside, I am MORE THAN P*SSED that I did not apply. Grrr

jesus....it doesn't matter whether the OP goes to Case or NYU. Go to wherever he/she feels most comfortable and gets the best FA package. There is no difference in rep or residency prospects between these schools.

southbelle said:
Go to wherever he/she ... gets the best FA package.

FA doesn't always matter if you won't be happy for four years!

I agree with southbelle,

This is going to come down to whether you want to spend four years in Greenwich village or Cleveland. I don't think you should base your decision on what you want to go into now. That will change 5 times. And even if you did know you wanted EM, the EM training at Case would be at Metrohealth, our main county hospital which is a level 1 trauma center and which sees the same sorts of stuff that Bellevue does. In fact, it probably sees one sort of thing bellevue does not, and that is traffic accident trauma. We love our cars out here, you know.

Seriously, I would not base it on the hospitals. They are comparable, and if anything the opportunities (hospitalwise) is better at Case because of the Cleveland Clinic.

Still, location, location, location. Also, financial aid. I lived three years in manhattan and if I had one peice of advice to a non-new yorker contemplating moving to NY, I would suggest they spend three weeks there first. Honestly, that's GOOD advice. You may freaking love New York. But to hate it is tragic. I am reminded of some good advice I read in a canooing trip brochure:

"When looking up at the base of rapids, it is always preferable to wish you had taken them than to wish you had not."

Judd

Members don't see this ad :)
keep in mind that the cost of living in new york is significantly higher than in cleveland. where else but in new york does a bagel, a cup of yoplait and a small glass of orange juice cost $10!!

so judd...did you love manhattan, or did you live out the tragedy?

A) NYU is in midtown Manhattan, NOT the village!

SoulRFlare said:
keep in mind that the cost of living in new york is significantly higher than in cleveland. where else but in new york does a bagel, a cup of yoplait and a small glass of orange juice cost $10!!

B) I'd say that $10 is too cheap, I'd assume closer to $15! Uggh

SoulRFlare said:
so judd...did you love manhattan, or did you live out the tragedy?

I was no fan. Truth be told, it was no tragedy either. But i lived in Morningside heights, which is like manhattan "lite"

Judd

BioMedResearch said:
A) NYU is in midtown Manhattan, NOT the village!

Oh, this I did not know. I just assumed it was located next to the undergrad. Either way, you either love it or hate it, I guess.

Judd

Overall, I think it's clear that Case is the better school. SDN is very biased towards NY schools though, and you'll get a lot of people telling you to go there for the location. If living in NY is important to you, then you won't go wrong with NYU. But if you want to live somewhere with trees and affordable bagels (;)), then I say go to Case. Personally, I would choose Case.

quideam said:
SDN is very biased towards NY schools though, and you'll get a lot of people telling you to go there for the location.

what an interesting and obvious (now that you mention it) observation! :thumbup:

Newquagmire said:
any opinions on baylor vs nyu?

I don't know much about either school, but it would seem (based on the rankings...and we all know how that goes...) that baylor is primed to shoot into the top ten at some point, so it would be an excellent choice. Furthermore, it seems their out of state tuition is comparable to some in-state rates (specifically the ohio schools) consequently you'll end up with less debt coming from Baylor. (oh...consider cost of living in ny versus texas...i'm sure there's a substantial difference) Finally, i'll temporarily shrug my personal feelings aside regarding the location issue and point out that texas doesn't get cold (except at night). ny does. horribly horribly cold. Texas will turn you into a bad$$ cowboy/girl ...um...cowperson. new york will turn you into a morning show newsanchor or the next contestant on the apprentice.

i'll be the first to admit that an ideal medical school would lock students into vast, dank caverns...caverns whose walls were lined with thousands and thousands of spools of EKG tape that must be read and discussed before dinner...caverns filled with the screams of interns who had inadvertantly enraged a slumbering frecklefrack beast. no one leaves these caverns...NOT one. until the spools have been analyzed, discussed, and woven into intricate origami sculptures of impressive scale.
the students are then marched, single file and silent, to their quarters where they are to study until lights out. these students are happy students because they are ignorant; unaware of what they are missing. The are utterly dependent, no care remains unaddressed for more than a few minutes at the most. what's important is that these students bring to bare the full intellectual capabilities we have instilled in them. To these students, location makes no difference--one cavern, or another. one highrise---or another ?
All the same

ok...after my bizarre not-quite-novellette, it may or may not be clear that the "location" factor is pretty much nil to me. for example: i got into eastern virginia and would love to live in the hampton roads area (beaches, boating gals dressed in bikinis) I turned them down for what i percieve to be a better school.

but i've made one exception, because the location game seems to be the game to play...and it happens to works in my favor:
baylor, an incredible school, happens to be in texas, which is a warm and rather interesting state. if you were to move to Texas for climate alone and offhandedly enroll in the "Texas Teechery of Docterrin' Stuf" you would be making a grave mistake. may God have pity on our soul. But you are choosing an excellent school in a nice enviornment (maybe too hot sometimes but eh) as oppopsed to a good school in a crowded, expensive, hostile, polluted city that just happens to be the number one target of certain radical religio/political groups.

as for myself: I'll be in cleveland next year, winters and all. when it comes to the weather, i could justify going to another school in a better clime (such as atlanta) but the way i see it, cleveland winters provide to perfect excuse to forget excuses and study. when I'm frozen in my apartment with nothing but a cracker, a jollyrancher, and a fervent wish for something to do: study.

now take this advice wisely and shrewdly, with a big ole heaping block of (we couldn't find pure salt in such short notice, so i went with the next best thing :thumbup: :spam: :thumbup: shooo is salty :D

heres an important question. are you a female? we're having a serious gender imbalance in the offical case thread.

naw, i'm male like all the rest of the people in the case thread. kinda hope thats not the way it is there.

eerie234 said:
naw, i'm male like all the rest of the people in the case thread. kinda hope thats not the way it is there.

I recall they were close to 50/50. Its so odd that the SDN sample is so skewed. I think even with such a small sample size its statistically significant compared to the gender composition of SDN. I'm willing to be there are more men then women on SDN, but not enough to account for the case thread imbalance. Hmm.. the eternal mysteries of SDN.

but it seems also that the case thread has less people in general. for example, just a few days after the pittsburgh announcements went out, there were maybe 20-25 people alreading posting that they had gotten in. After I got rejectd i stopped looking at the thread, but I'm sure there were a lot more after that. that could be accounted for by the fact that pitt is non rolling, and ppl were eager to post after such a long wait. nevertheless, my impression is that there are less case ppl here that post than other schools.

SoulRFlare said:
I don't know much about either school, but it would seem (based on the rankings...and we all know how that goes...) that baylor is primed to shoot into the top ten at some point, so it would be an excellent choice. Furthermore, it seems their out of state tuition is comparable to some in-state rates (specifically the ohio schools) consequently you'll end up with less debt coming from Baylor. (oh...consider cost of living in ny versus texas...i'm sure there's a substantial difference) Finally, i'll temporarily shrug my personal feelings aside regarding the location issue and point out that texas doesn't get cold (except at night). ny does. horribly horribly cold. Texas will turn you into a bad$$ cowboy/girl ...um...cowperson. new york will turn you into a morning show newsanchor or the next contestant on the apprentice.

for what it's worth, baylor *dropped* a rank this year. a lot of the big research names have actually left in the past few years, even though the nih funding $'s somehow increased in the '05 us news report. i feel like the weather in nyc is preferable to houston humidity :( on the other hand, i feel like nyu is going through the bottom of a trough and is on the rise (despite the drop in their rank too). probably taking a risk either way.

i'll be the first to admit that an ideal medical school would lock students into vast, dank caverns...caverns whose walls were lined with thousands and thousands of spools of EKG tape that must be read and discussed before dinner...caverns filled with the screams of interns who had inadvertantly enraged a slumbering frecklefrack beast. no one leaves these caverns...NOT one. until the spools have been analyzed, discussed, and woven into intricate origami sculptures of impressive scale.
the students are then marched, single file and silent, to their quarters where they are to study until lights out. these students are happy students because they are ignorant; unaware of what they are missing. The are utterly dependent, no care remains unaddressed for more than a few minutes at the most. what's important is that these students bring to bare the full intellectual capabilities we have instilled in them. To these students, location makes no difference--one cavern, or another. one highrise---or another ?
All the same

ok...after my bizarre not-quite-novellette, it may or may not be clear that the "location" factor is pretty much nil to me. for example: i got into eastern virginia and would love to live in the hampton roads area (beaches, boating gals dressed in bikinis) I turned them down for what i percieve to be a better school.

At first, I thought you were trying to describe Bellevue. Then I imagined some connections to Plato's Republic. Interesting take on happiness nonetheless.

I suppose I'm just trying to find any possible reason to turn down Baylor. I should be happy I have a choice :)

Thx SoulR, I'd give you some karma, but i have to spread the love first.