Case vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Case or USC?

• Case

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • USC

Votes: 27 45.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mmagnett

Hi --

I am looking for advice on where to go to school next year. I'm an Illinois resident and have lived in the Midwest for my entire life. I am kinda maybe looking to experience other things and that's why I am considering USC (that and the new LA+USC hospital looks really cool/the things that happen in the ER are AMAZING), but when I think about the affiliation with two WONDERFUL teaching hospitals and research facilities that Case has I can't help but think I am passing up a great opportunity. I am also waiting to hear from Duke which is kinda mix of the two I think.

For background, I am a graduate student in Biomedical Engineering and I am interested in the academic AND the clinical aspects of medicine; with a bit more interest in clinical.

So what do you guys think? I feel really blessed to have to make this choice, but its definitely a hard one. Thanks for you input!

PS I grew up in Cleveland, but left when I was in 8th grade so I know I can deal with it (and actually like it)!

Members don't see this ad.

i would say USC. cool place. cool school :)

I know that Case has a great BME program.. not quite like JHU (where I graduated with a B.S. in BME :smuggrin:) but I have heard great things... So if you're interested in doing BME-related research, I would strongly consider going to Case- also, the undergrad campus is right there by the SOM so you have easy access to the BME department and facilities. Something to think about, I think.

Clearly, nobody can tell ya what to do but the above is just a suggestion to consider.

If you know you'll be happy in Cleveland, versus a "maybe" in Los Angeles, then I think its good to go with the known quantity. Money can change everything, of course so try to wait for finaid first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi --

I am looking for advice on where to go to school next year. I'm an Illinois resident and have lived in the Midwest for my entire life. I am kinda maybe looking to experience other things and that's why I am considering USC (that and the new LA+USC hospital looks really cool/the things that happen in the ER are AMAZING), but when I think about the affiliation with two WONDERFUL teaching hospitals and research facilities that Case has I can't help but think I am passing up a great opportunity. I am also waiting to hear from Duke which is kinda mix of the two I think.

For background, I am a graduate student in Biomedical Engineering and I am interested in the academic AND the clinical aspects of medicine; with a bit more interest in clinical.

So what do you guys think? I feel really blessed to have to make this choice, but its definitely a hard one. Thanks for you input!

PS I grew up in Cleveland, but left when I was in 8th grade so I know I can deal with it (and actually like it)!

I hear the affiliation between Case and the Cleveland Clinic is shaky.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/05/cleveland_clinic_considers_end.html

Easily USC wins

Why?... because you are not in Cleveland
Another reason...you are not in Ohio
Another reason...the best thing to happen to Cleveland was Drew Carrey (and we all know that was even filmed in LA because who wants to live in OHIO?)

Yikes. Thats a good article to read.

Come to case with me!

I read that a while ago, the deal with Columbia fell through and I don't know of any current plans to change affiliation. At both my cleveland clinic and case interviews there was no mention of tensions.

I read that a while ago, the deal with Columbia fell through and I don't know of any current plans to change affiliation. At both my cleveland clinic and case interviews there was no mention of tensions.

Well Case is trying to convince interviewees to come to their school, so they might not be inclined to bring up the tension. CCLCM might not mention it for some other reason (so as not to appear unstable maybe?).

However, you may be right, I really have no idea

Well Case is trying to convince interviewees to come to their school, so they might not be inclined to bring up the tension. CCLCM might not mention it for some other reason (so as not to appear unstable maybe?).
There isn't any mention of it at interviews because now there is nothing to tell. That article you quoted is almost a year old, and we aren't changing our affiliation to Columbia.

However, you may be right, I really have no idea
And yet you feel perfectly free to spout off the rumors you've heard. :rolleyes:

cheasus said:
Basically, you know as much as there is to know right now. The long-standing rivalry is between UH and CCF, not between Case and CCF. As you said, the Columbia deal fell through last year, and we are Case students. The first CCLCM class is graduating from Case in less than three months. Case is being reaccredited by the LCME next month, and the CCLCM students have been part of that process all along. There are still rumors about CCLCM splitting, but no definite plans or reliable info about when or even if it will ever happen. I wouldn't not come to Case over these rumors.

mmagnett said:
Of course I am totally biased, but I think you should definitely come to Case. ;)

Ok, so seriously, wait until you get your financial aid packages and try to go to both second looks. When I was trying to decide between schools, it really helped to have a chance to see my top choices a second time in a lower pressure atmosphere. You can look around for housing and meet with more faculty. You'll also get a chance to meet more upperclassmen and your potential future classmates. If you pretty much like both schools equally after visiting again, go to the one that gives you more financial aid. Minimizing your debt = totally sweet. Don't forget to think about COL when you consider the costs of each school. Living in Cleveland is way cheaper than living in CA, especially if you have family living in Cleveland and you can get free room and board. Keep in mind that you can always go somewhere else for residency if you decide you don't want to end up in Cleveland permanently. Good luck with your decision, and try not to stress. You'll get a good education at either school, you know?

There isn't any mention of it at interviews because now there is nothing to tell. That article you quoted is almost a year old, and we aren't changing our affiliation to Columbia.

And yet you feel perfectly free to spout off the rumors you've heard. :rolleyes:

Calm down. I remembered reading that, and if there was any truth to it, it might be of interest to someone who was deciding whether or not to go to Case. Had I just heard a story from a friend of a friend, I wouldn't have said anything, I thought The Plain Dealer was more credible than that.

I think it's great that it's not true, and I'm glad you were here to point that out. No offense was meant to Case or anyone else...

Calm down. I remembered reading that, and if there was any truth to it, it might be of interest to someone who was deciding whether or not to go to Case. Had I just heard a story from a friend of a friend, I wouldn't have said anything, I thought The Plain Dealer was more credible than that.

I think it's great that it's not true, and I'm glad you were here to point that out. No offense was meant to Case or anyone else...
It's cool, I wasn't offended. It just annoys me when people post stuff they don't know is true, especially when they follow it by admitting they don't know if it's true! I think that sentence was what annoyed me the most about your post. :laugh: You're right though that the Plain Dealer is more credible than a friend of a friend, but they sell their papers by playing up conflicts, not by reporting things dispassionately. They wrote in their original article about a possible change in affiliation that the CEO was shopping the school around to a number of other universities. Of course people reading stuff like that are going to get freaked out. I felt the same way when I read it!

Edit: Just so anyone who might care knows, there are definitely some people who would like to see CCLCM split off from Case. I don't know if it will ever happen or not. But it's not true that Case and CCLCM don't mention any tension during interviews because they're trying to fool the applicants and convince them to come here under false pretenses. That was really the point I wanted to make.

Last edited:
i think i am going to wait on the financial aid package..? They're both expensive -- but the cost of living in LA is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.