Case vs. Wayne (full tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunrise03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Case Western Reserve
Pros
  • High caliber of residency programs based on Match Lists
  • Awesome research opportunities
  • Cleveland Clinic is a clinical site!
  • Loved the TBL oriented curriculum
Cons
  • Expensive!! No merit scholarship here
  • Far enough from home that I'd only be going back on holiday breaks

Wayne
Pros
  • Full Tuition Scholarship
  • Close proximity to home (half hour distance)
Cons
  • Average caliber for residency matches
  • Curriculum next year is brand new

Summary: I am mostly interested in matching into opthalmology, which I know is very competitive. Up until recently, I was decided on going to Case, but I just found about the full-tuition scholarship from Wayne. Would I be putting my career at a disadvantage if I don't go to Case? Or is the proximity to home and full tuition scholarship worth a potentially less prestigious residency? I saw that this year Case had about 10 optho matches while Wayne had 4 last year. Are Wayne students simply not competitive enough to match there or is it not a field that many try to match into from here? Any input is appreciated. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Case Western Reserve
Pros
  • High caliber of residency programs based on Match Lists
  • Awesome research opportunities
  • Cleveland Clinic is a clinical site!
  • Loved the TBL oriented curriculum
Cons
  • Expensive!! No merit scholarship here
  • Far enough from home that I'd only be going back on holiday breaks

Wayne
Pros
  • Full Tuition Scholarship
  • Close proximity to home (half hour distance)
Cons
  • Average caliber for residency matches
  • Curriculum next year is brand new

Summary: I am mostly interested in matching into opthalmology, which I know is very competitive. Up until recently, I was decided on going to Case, but I just found about the full-tuition scholarship from Wayne. Would I be putting my career at a disadvantage if I don't go to Case? Or is the proximity to home and full tuition scholarship worth a potentially less prestigious residency? I saw that this year Case had about 10 optho matches while Wayne had 4 last year. Are Wayne students simply not competitive enough to match there or is it not a field that many try to match into from here? Any input is appreciated. Thanks all!

I had the option between Boston, Cincinnati, and Wayne and choose Wayne without the scholarship with an in state cost. The school was better but I didn't see the extra prestige mattering because I thought I'd kill it at Wayne and save tons of money because that line of reasoning worked for me in undergrad (take the less prestigious school and still get into medical school). That was a lofty assumption on my part as competition is fierce everywhere and I dont even stand out at Wayne.

I still think Wayne is the better option just because of there is such a significant monetary difference (you're talking like 100-150k) but I will say that there is a very real benefit of going to a school like CW over Wayne when it comes to residency prestige. You're also interested in a competitive field so that may even make more of a difference. If you go to Wayne, you better be ready to for grueling work from day 1 and if you go to Case, you may already be motivated by the high price tag you're paying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd agree follow the money. If you do well on step, get good clerkship grades, and do some research you should match just fine at either place.

Now if you're dead set on a Cleveland clinic residency, or aiming for an academic career, then sure consider Case a bit more, but ultimately I'd still follow the money and just be ready to get to work once you start medical school.

1. Reading match lists is a fools errand.
2. Wayne's curriculum is not changing
3. 300K is a lot of money.
4. Jalby would say to pick case over wayne due to ranking.
5. Look at home residency programs for optho.

I would pick wayne myself, but there are arguments to be made that top 25 might be worth the money.

I think your pros and cons list is very odd, especially for Wayne. Genuinely curious, did you apply to both of those schools on a whim?

Anyway, for Ophtho, Wayne.

Granted idk about their department at Case but I have come to find out a lot about ophtho at Wayne as I have a friend who is a part of it.

I think your pros and cons list is very odd, especially for Wayne. Genuinely curious, did you apply to both of those schools on a whim?

Anyway, for Ophtho, Wayne.

Granted idk about their department at Case but I have come to find out a lot about ophtho at Wayne as I have a friend who is a part of it.
Thank you for your input! No I didn't reply to either school on a whim. Wayne is one of my state schools (I originally applied as a backup, but ended up liking the clinical opportunities and hospital systems), and Case Western was within reach given my stats. Why do you say that my pro/cons list is odd?

Thanks a lot for your advice everyone! I am not interested in academic medicine, so for that reason, and the proximity to home and financial reasons, I do think that I will be accepting Wayne State. It also made me feel much better to know that the curriculum is not changing until at least the year after I matriculate!

Reactions: 1 user