1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Case vs. Wisconsin-Madison vs. Georgetown

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ohmedschool, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ohmedschool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys, I have been fortunate enough to be accepted at three schools that I absolutely love. I just wanted to hear some of your thoughts and opinions. If you had to make a decision, which would you choose and why?

My thoughts:

Case - Good: awesome curriculum, tremendous resources, pass/fail, early clinical exposure. Bad: the city, cost, and I'm so-so on the required research and thesis.

Wisconsin - Good: new facilities, collaborative and friendly learning environment, faculty really committed to students, Madison. Bad: state school, not as many resources as Case, patient pop. not very diverse.

Georgetown - Good: close to home, educational philosophy, clinical training for surgery, the city. Bad: SO expensive, very cut-throat learning environment, hospital and med school in financial trouble, religious affiliation.

Thanks!! :laugh:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cheasus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wait to see if you receive any scholarships/grants from any of the schools to decide but I would probably choose UW-Madison or Case.

4. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If finances could sway you, I would wait for sure. My guess is Case would win the aid packet, because of their scholarships. I too would vote either Case or UW madison, but I didn't apply to Georgetown so I don't know much about them. If you are going into primary care, UW madison is famous for that. If you are interested in academic medicine, Case has probably got your back.

5. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

If you are instate at UWisc, I would go there.

6. ohmedschool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yah, I'll be waiting for financial aid and it will play a pretty significant role.

I don't know what I'm interested in, at all. You are right about Wisc being about primary care and Case about academic medicine. I guess my question then is, all things being equal, which school would give me a better residency match? I know there are a lot of factors involved etc. But from the residency director's eyes, again all things being equal, would they pick a Wisc grad or a Case grad?

7. ohmedschool

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am out of state, but remarkably the out of state tuition + living expenses for Wisc is cheaper than my state school (University of Maryland)

8. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think either will hurt your chances at a good residency. If you're interested in the Cleveland clinic or University Hospital, Case is the better choice. I don't really know that much about U of W's hospital system and connections, but you would naturally have a better shot at them.

9. 229141

Pre-Medical
    I'd probably pick Wisc just because I'd rather go to a state school...but I love research so Case is tempting.

10. geekOCD

geekOCD passionate people rock
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Out of curiosity, why are you so-so on the research requirement at Case? It's completely open-ended, you can do whatever you want with it (clinical research, public health, epi, etc.)...several friends and I all work ~12 hrs or less a week on our various projects. You can do it wherever you want so lots of people go back to their home cities or visit girl/boyfriends or go abroad. and it's a great break from rotations.

G'luck on the decision. =)

11. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

With Case vs UWisc, I don't think either name outshines the other. Yes, Wisconsin is a "state school" but I believe they have a pretty good reputation as far as state schools go. The advantage to going to Case would be that your research, or whatever you did, would make you stand out during the residency application process. Of course, this is not to say you wouldn't be able to do research at Wisconsin if you were motivated enough, you'd just have to pave your own way, whereas at Case you'd already have something set up for you.

As for "primary care" vs "academic medicine"-oriented school - I go to what would be considered a "academic medicine"-oriented school and I can tell you that I don't really think it matters. There are plenty of primary care opportunities and things we can do to be involved in the community. Aside from our research requirement, I don't think there's that much of a difference between our curriculum and a state school's. And I have a friend who goes to a state school and there are plenty of research opportunities to go around. Your education will be what you make of it no matter where you go. No one is going to push you into primary care or academic medicine. The only other place where this might matter is rotations - look at the length of all the rotations and how much elective time you get. State schools tend to have longer primary care rotations than private schools.

12. Crelal

Crelal So close, yet so far away...
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UWSMPH does have options to do rotations in Milwaukee/Racine/Kenosha, which is a much more diverse area. Also, Madison is becoming much more diverse than it was even five years ago.

I am biased though, I have an interview coming up soon at Madison, and if I am accepted there, that is where I will be!

Good luck with your decision!:luck:

13. exoslimjim

2+ Year Member

I think madison has one of the best graduate biochemistry departments. Also, this isn't a guage, but a comparison: Madison has 4 hhmi vs 1 at Case. If you are looking for research, i think madison would be your top choice.

14. SDN2013

SDN2013 Athens
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I was at an office hour next to one of the HHMI's office, he was yelling at his grad student. I was scared lol.

15. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    <With Case vs UWisc, I don't think either name outshines the other. Yes, Wisconsin is a "state school" but I believe they have a pretty good reputation as far as state schools go. The advantage to going to Case would be that your research, or whatever you did, would make you stand out during the residency application process. Of course, this is not to say you wouldn't be able to do research at Wisconsin if you were motivated enough, you'd just have to pave your own way, whereas at Case you'd already have something set up for you.

As for "primary care" vs "academic medicine"-oriented school - I go to what would be considered a "academic medicine"-oriented school and I can tell you that I don't really think it matters. There are plenty of primary care opportunities and things we can do to be involved in the community. Aside from our research requirement, I don't think there's that much of a difference between our curriculum and a state school's. And I have a friend who goes to a state school and there are plenty of research opportunities to go around. Your education will be what you make of it no matter where you go. No one is going to push you into primary care or academic medicine. The only other place where this might matter is rotations - look at the length of all the rotations and how much elective time you get. State schools tend to have longer primary care rotations than private schools.>

I agree with this.
    IMHO not sure Georgetown is worth the money, unless you are just dead set on staying near home. Both Cleveland and Wisconsin get cold in winter, so keep that in mind.

I would not let the "research" @Case scare you away. It will actually end up helping you, because it will be another resume booster to put on your application when you apply for a residency.

If you don't have a strong preference between Case and Wisconsin, I'd consider the financial aid packages. If one place is going to cost you >10k or so less per year than another, I think that really ought to factor into your decision. Remember, the $40-50k difference in what you borrow will be more than that in the end, because the interest will build up while you are in school and perhaps while you are in residency. If parents are helping you out a lot with tuition, this might not be as much of a consideration.

16. exoslimjim

2+ Year Member

Sorry I should hav clarified... You're right tho, some hhmi are sorta... pressuring and high maintenance. However, a hhmi lab is one with a lot of money but would still use core facilities

17. SDN2013

SDN2013 Athens
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    he might of been just having a bad day, either that or his grad spilled beta mercap or something. From what my friends tell me he's actually a nice guy and a great great lecturer.

18. JLC

JLC
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Wisconsin Madison is def one of the best research schools in the country and has an international presence as well.

19. vadd0

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Madison is more beautiful than the industrial gothic that is Cleveland.

20. Stewie2008

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not Georgetown... can't go wrong with the other two... I would personally pick Madison.

21. blackbird11384

blackbird11384 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well gee...that's a solid argument against attending Georgetown.;) Do I think Case Western or Wisconsin will give you a slight advantage if you want to go into Academic Medicine down the road...maybe. Do I think Case Western and Wisconsin get better matches...absolutely not. Check out Georgetown's Match list for yourself. I refuse to believe that Wisconsin's or Case Western's is vastly better. If you want to match somewhere on the east coast, I would recommend Georgetown since many of our grads match along the East Coast. I would bet that Case's match more in the mid-west, and wisconsin's students match near wisconsin. Obviously this may just be self selection, but I'm just throwing it out there.

As for cost, you have us beat. Georgetown will wind up being the most expensive of your choices, no way around it. But you get to live in one of the best cities in the country, so take your pick.

As for research. You would think Georgetown does no research at all the way people throw it to the curb on here. We had close to $180 million in NIH grants reported last year in US News (if this figure is wrong than please correct me). Plus, we have the NIH about 15 minutes from campus. Yes, the NIH is 15 minutes from campus. If you can't find a research project there that you aren't interested in, you are out of luck.

Georgetown Hospital and the Medical Center are not in financial trouble. Just google for articles on their financial situation. We were in a poor financial state some years ago but have turned things around. Many academic hospitals have found it hard to stay above the red in the past 10-15 years. As for the cut-throat learning environment, it does not exist. Most everyone here is competitive with themselves and want to achieve their best. But I have never, ever, seen any malicious or "cut-throat" behavior. Honestly.

Finally the religious affiliation. Ahh, those evil-evil catholics. I attended Georgetown University Undergrad, and can assure you that the Catholic presence is much more pronounced on the undergrad campus than on the medical campus. While many of the undergrad students are catholic, the same is not true for the medical campus. We even had a Jesuit, a Rabbi, and Reverend speak at our first Gross Anatomy Lab about the gift our donators gave us (I know, sounds like a joke right?).

Georgetown doesn't have enough supporters on this board so I am stepping up to the plate. Georgetown University School of Medicine is a wonderful place (if you look past the so-so facilities). To the OP - We should be having our first second-look day ever in February, so you may want to look into that.

#20 blackbird11384, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  22. Stewie2008

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I apologize if my post came off as rude. I interviewed at Georgetown this year and immediately withdrew. The town is awesome, however, I can't say the same from the school in my opinion. The cost, facilities, attitudes of admissions members, and the impression from the students that I met justified my immediate withdraw of my application.

I'm glad you like it at Georgetown, to each their own.