Case Western 2ndary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by uclabruins47, Jul 26, 2002.

1. uclabruins47

uclabruins47 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi fellow SDNers out there who got the CWRU 2ndary, i have a few questions.

I can't seem to find anywhere in their email or online app how many and what kind of Letters of Rec they want, and I also don't know how I'm going to send the paper application that they want.

If anyone know the answers, please post! Thanks :cool:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mr. H

Hey I got that too. they say they want it within 2 weeks!

Luckily my letters should be in soon!

Good question, I'm not sure how many they want.

I think their essay question is kick a$$, finally something I can enjoy writing about that doesn't require so much thought!

4. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist

Resident [Any Field]
    They'll mail you the paper app. As for letters, I think they want a minimum of two.

5. mws99

mws99 Senior Member

They say they want a 2 page limit--is that double spaced?

6. uclabruins47

Resident [Any Field]
    i'm gonna assume it's single spaced since we're only typing into that cubbyhole on the online app. Can't write too much if it's double spaced

7. Resident Alien

It's single spaced.

8. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong

Resident [Any Field]
    My email from Case was all garbled. I couldn't read it at all, as it printed out everything all over the web browser, not just the field where the email is supposed to appear (Yahoo). It's like the HTML is messed up. Anyone else have this problem?

9. uclabruins47

Resident [Any Field]
    you have to see it through outlook or outlook express i thikn or something email program. I used MS outlook and it displayed fine, but when I used web browser, it's garbled. HOPe this helps!

10. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Ok, I want to say the following:
    I hate CWRU's secondary. I am an MSTP applicant, so maybe it's different for me.

First of all, the web form stuff is very buggy, with IE 6.0 I had a hell of a time entering the people who were going to recommend me and having it show up right on the screen. I finally found a trick to make it work, but it took me a half hour of finagaling to get it right. +pissed+

When you click tech help in the main admissions screen, it says that you need 2 - 4 letters of recommendation, 2 of which are from the same science professor. What do they mean 2 from the same guy!? :confused:

Also, they want to know all the other schools to which you are applying. :eek: That's pretty lame.

Lastly, what the hell do they mean this is a transition year and we're going to get a paper app as well? Does this mean we're going to have to fill out the same thing again on paper? Are you kidding me?
    +pissed++pissed++pissed+

Ok, enough rant. At least their secondary fee is only $25.

11. uclabruins47

Resident [Any Field]
    i haven't seen all the application, but if we have the same app, i must say it's pretty wussy of them to want to know where we are all applying. for some shcools that want a printed copy of your amcas, they even demand that you dont send in the school designations... oh well, i'm applying to 31 schools, prolly can kiss case goodbye.

$25 (can add another school on amcas)

12. Resident Alien

You sure its 25 bucks? Thats a 50$ slash from last year!!

13. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    That's another thing I didn't like. The app said "Send your check to:" and then had an example check, completed to CWRU in the amount of $25.

I don't know if $25 is the right amount or not. That's all I have to go on. It says nowhere on their website exactly how to fill out the check (AAMC ID? SSN? In notes part), how much it is for, who to make it out to (I'm sure Case Western Reserve University), just that sample check.

Perhaps MSTP secondary is cheaper at CWRU, but somehow I doubt it.

14. Resident Alien

It was $75 last year.
    The paper app. was clear enough, maybe you should wait for that. They should be sending you one soon (I think they've stopped screening).

15. Mr. H

I must say that this has been one of the most enjoyable secondaries I have ever filled out. The essay about what we foun interesting really shed light on why I do some of the things I do. I finished the essay today and the closing came in a rush, like I was posessed. Have any of you got that feeling when you write? Where sentences and words come out that you didn't know you had the ability to write? I felt like a true writer

that was fun, now I take a break and work on some other essay tomorrow.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. bruinkid

bruinkid Senior Member

i know that the application must be completed within 2 weeks, but do the letter of rec have to reach there in 2 weeks?

18. uclabruins47

Resident [Any Field]
    we meet again fellow bruin :)

anyways, i emailed them alot of application-related questions this weekend so i'll post once they give me a reply

i *heard* somewhere that ur LORs don't need to be there in 2 weeks.

19. Resident Alien

As an earlier poster said, the 2 week deadline does not apply to your LOR's. You can call the admissions office at 216-368-3450 to check it out.

20. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know about MSTP, but the regular MD secondary is $75 this year. My check is in the mail.