case western adcom meeting today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cleveland is a total dump. There is no advantage in being the only medical school in a region (thats just case western trying to find something different about their school). The cleveland clinic, although affiliated with case western, is a separate entity. I have no reason to bad mouth case western, as I have been accepted to 5 schools including NYU and Columbia. And, I'm waiting to hear from penn and hopkins post-interview. Good luck living in creepville for the next four years!!!

Wow... bitter and immature.

Yes, cleveland clinic is one of the hospitals Case students can rotate at. While it is an independent teaching school, it is very much affiliated and allows Case students many benefits.

Sure, Cleveland isn't amazing, but it has many benefits as well.

I'm still deciding if I will attend CWRU, but knowing that they rejected you is a huge plus for them in my book.

Members don't see this ad.

Arggghh! Waitlisted again!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... bitter and immature.

Yes, cleveland clinic is one of the hospitals Case students can rotate at. While it is an independent teaching school, it is very much affiliated and allows Case students many benefits.

Sure, Cleveland isn't amazing, but it has many benefits as well.

I'm still deciding if I will attend CWRU, but knowing that they rejected you is a huge plus for them in my book.

benefits, benefits, benefits..what are the benefits that you speak of? they don't exist. average school, in a subpar location, with subpar people (presumably you'd fit in though)!

jackson123, wherever you go, i doubt your classmates/peers/co-workers will like you. if you were my doctor and you spoke to me in that tone, i would f*** you up and sue your a**. i've read in the Allopathic Thread that, during residency, you need to know when to shut your mouth. jackson123, you better learn this quick. i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate negative comments about a school that pple are really wishing to go to. sure, you can bash the city. cleveland is not the greatest city. but there are pple who are checking iApply many times to see if they get off the waiting list.

good luck to y'all on the waiting list... i really hope you get in.

some benefits of rotating at cleveland clinic:
- researching with reputable physicians
- networking within a top-ranked hospital
- getting a dean's letter with recommendations from top-name physicians

some benefits of case:
- ending class every day by noon...
- four months time put into the curriculum during which you can do research to get published (essential for landing top residencies/fellowships)
- pre-clinical years graded completely pass/fail (no ranking whatsoever)
- clinical rotations begin March of second year (at one of my interviews, a M4 student at Pitt told me that it's key to go to a med school that starts clinical rotations early)
- new laptop provided by the med school
- can take any undergrad class for free (like scuba diving, tennis, etc)
- cheap housing
- taking a mini-board exam after every block (to prepare you for the actual boards step 1)

if you wanna know more, then just come out to second look weekend :cool:

i say we just stop indulging him

so.. changing the topic

does anyone know how many deans merit scholarships there are? the website just says that there are a bunch that range between 20-40 grand... no indication of how many

also do we get notified about these at the second look? or has anyone found out earlier in the past?

In the scholarship application letter they said decisions would be out by April 9, which is after second look and pretty close to the April 15 deadline for CCLCM.

Hey guys, I'm waitlisted too, got emails from Christian Thursday afternoon and and iApply update in the evening. I am crossing my fingers on this one, probably like many of you hehe. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

i say we just stop indulging him

so.. changing the topic

does anyone know how many deans merit scholarships there are? the website just says that there are a bunch that range between 20-40 grand... no indication of how many

also do we get notified about these at the second look? or has anyone found out earlier in the past?

In the scholarship application letter they said decisions would be out by April 9, which is after second look and pretty close to the April 15 deadline for CCLCM.

i'm guessing it won't happen at second look, but that we'll get an email shortly afterward from that woman who talked to us about "financing your education" at interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or is Case very numbers oriented... the only other school that seems to top it is WashU

It seems as though admission to case is almost guaranteed with a 36+ and a 3.8+
very formulaic .. anyone find this to be true?

From the people who've been waitlisted (who have mdapps), almost all did not have both a 36 and a 3.7+ Most had one or the other. Just an observation ofcourse.... from someone who hasn't applied yet lol

Is it just me or is Case very numbers oriented... the only other school that seems to top it is WashU

I got accepted in October at Case, but my numbers aren't quite that impressive. They're not bad, but not quite what your estimations are (see MdApps). I hope that helps.

Case seem to care a lot about the MCAT, but I feel that they give much less of an emphasis on the GPA. Their average MCAT/GPA of the 2007 entering class are both lower than that of their neighbor - OSU.

some benefits of rotating at cleveland clinic:
- researching with reputable physicians
- networking within a top-ranked hospital
- getting a dean's letter with recommendations from top-name physicians

some benefits of case:
- ending class every day by noon...
- four months time put into the curriculum during which you can do research to get published (essential for landing top residencies/fellowships)
- pre-clinical years graded completely pass/fail (no ranking whatsoever)
- clinical rotations begin March of second year (at one of my interviews, a M4 student at Pitt told me that it's key to go to a med school that starts clinical rotations early)
- new laptop provided by the med school
- can take any undergrad class for free (like scuba diving, tennis, etc)
- cheap housing
- taking a mini-board exam after every block (to prepare you for the actual boards step 1)

if you wanna know more, then just come out to second look weekend :cool:
Is it truely pass/fail, because some of my friends that are fourth years say they rank you anyway without you knowing?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get your award letter after your file in the financial aid office is complete?

Is it truely pass/fail, because some of my friends that are fourth years say they rank you anyway without you knowing?

Okay, I'm not there yet but I'll be starting this summer.
Yes, 1st and 2nd year are pass/fail.
Yes, you get graded in each of your rotations.

This just means that they allow the USMLE 1 score to stand in for grades the first two years and your clinical grades to count for the clinical part. You have to have your residency match based on SOMETHING. Just figure the USMLE is your "final to end all finals" on which your entire "grade" for the first two years is based.

Okay, I'm not there yet but I'll be starting this summer.
Yes, 1st and 2nd year are pass/fail.
Yes, you get graded in each of your rotations.

This just means that they allow the USMLE 1 score to stand in for grades the first two years and your clinical grades to count for the clinical part. You have to have your residency match based on SOMETHING. Just figure the USMLE is your "final to end all finals" on which your entire "grade" for the first two years is based.
So you will be matriculating in the class of 2012? If so, it looks like we will be classmates.

From the people who've been waitlisted (who have mdapps), almost all did not have both a 36 and a 3.7+ Most had one or the other. Just an observation ofcourse.... from someone who hasn't applied yet lol

Interesting that you think that. In talking to my fellow classmates and what I know about the admissions process, Case seems to be one of the least numbers oriented and more focused on fit. Naturally, your numbers can't be horrible, but the adcom looks at the whole picture when evaluating an applicant. There have been plenty of people with under 36 and 3.8 that have received acceptances so far as well as plenty of people over those numbers that never got interviews or rejected post-interview.

Does anyone that has been accepted to Case know if we need to pay a fee for a criminal background check? I know some other schools I got into required a fee for a background check. I am not sure if Case does it on their own before they accept us or whether they just build it into our tuition right before school starts when they do it then. Any ideas?
Thanks,
THR

Does anyone that has been accepted to Case know if we need to pay a fee for a criminal background check? I know some other schools I got into required a fee for a background check. I am not sure if Case does it on their own before they accept us or whether they just build it into our tuition right before school starts when they do it then. Any ideas?
Thanks,
THR

Don't think they do a background check and if they do, there was no separate fee for it.

hey iceman,

as I recall, you are a current student at case and have provided very good information regarding the admissions process. what can you say about the odds of getting off of the WAITLIST at this point? apparently last year there was little to NO movement at all as far as the waitlist at this point in the game. your thoughts?

hey iceman,

as I recall, you are a current student at case and have provided very good information regarding the admissions process. what can you say about the odds of getting off of the WAITLIST at this point? apparently last year there was little to NO movement at all as far as the waitlist at this point in the game. your thoughts?

I have no idea what the odds of getting off the waitlist are at this point. I would imagine that it varies from year to year just based on the composition of the new class, how enthusiastic they are about Case, etc. A statistic that I've heard often is that half of the class (so about 77 people) were initially put on hold post-interview. I don't know how many they've taken off the hold list so far, but the waitlist should have the most movement after May 1, when those holding Case acceptances have to withdraw from all other schools. Good luck.

yup!! got a medium-sized one! very excited! this will complicate things.

congrats to anyone who got the full ride!

Yeah I got a medium one too, updated through iApply (I find it funny that the amounts aren't round numbers, they must be dividing up some sort of sum), congrats to all the others!

yup got the 21,500 one too. I think its divided by the 43,500 tuition.

Got one too (the 21,500)! Very excited, and will be going to Case next year

i as well. def. a pleasant surprise

i got the 21500 one today too. does anybody know of any advantages that merit scholarships confer over need-based grants, i.e. will being a merit scholar recipient help me when its time to apply for residency? also, does being awarded a merit scholarship mean i won't get need-based grants from case?

has anybody gotten their financial aid award packages from case yet? when are they supposed to be announced?

bozz....no. be smart. if you are looking to mdapplicants for average numbers, then WOW. #1 half of that stuff is probably made up and #2 think about how many ppl are NOT on SDN. there's like 20 profiles per school out of how many ppl applying?? exactly.

THE ONLY RELIABLE places to get info on avgs like that are the MSAR and school websites.

whew.. just withdrew recently. tough decision, but i decided on the college program. I guess that means there is a half-tuition scholarship out there.
good luck to you all and i'll be seeing you in Cleveland next year!!

so, what's the story on waitlist movement? ;)

so, what's the story on waitlist movement? ;)

I'm guessing nada yet.

I think it's scary that last years waitlist moved so little (or at all in the thread about it).

Does anybody know whether Case sees significant waitlist movement?

I'm guessing nada yet.

I think it's scary that last years waitlist moved so little (or at all in the thread about it).

I'm no expert, but I would guess that after May 1st there will be some waitlist action. I think many people right now are still deciding where they want to go so there's probably a whole lot of nothing going on right now, but I'm sure that will change.

Stay optimistic and I hope to see you here next year! :luck:

I'm guessing nada yet.

I read that thread too and it made me wanna cry. Here's hoping we are more fortunate this year.

just curious... has anyone gotten their fin aid packages yet?

just curious... has anyone gotten their fin aid packages yet?

I did, but only because I pestered them since I had to make a decision by April 15th (deciding between CCLCM and Case). I chose, Case btw. Hope to see you here in July!

Does anyone know what's going on with the alternate list?

Probably not much. It should start moving more in mid-may.

Seems like it could move earlier, since Case's multi-school deadline is May 1.

For example, I withdrew today. I loved Case on my interview day, so this was a tough decision, and I didn't want to make it earlier than I had to. I bet there are other people in the same boat, and it seems like you could start seeing a lot of movement later this week.

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting. Hopefully one of you will get the spot I opened up...

I decided to keep mine and go. Sorry.

I plan on with-drawing by the end of today...opening up my spot that came with a nice scholarship...one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make in my life.....hope one of you picks up one or both of these things I am dropping off....good luck....