case western adcom meeting today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I decided to keep mine and go. Sorry.

I don't think there's any reason you should feel inclined to apologize for that. Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

I also withdrew my acceptance to Case today, along with a half-tuition scholarship. Best of luck to those of you waiting to hear, it won't be long now!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking at secondaries from previous years... and I came across Case's:

explain a problem you encountered in your research and how you overcame that problem

How specific were you guys? I mean, I've messed up data, made mistakes but the "big picture problems" have been part of a project my mentor and I are working on. It's never been a specific problem that I encountered myself and chose to solve. So does it have to be a problem you specifically faced.. or more of a roadblock your "research group" faced?

I've been looking at secondaries from previous years... and I came across Case's:

explain a problem you encountered in your research and how you overcame that problem

How specific were you guys? I mean, I've messed up data, made mistakes but the "big picture problems" have been part of a project my mentor and I are working on. It's never been a specific problem that I encountered myself and chose to solve. So does it have to be a problem you specifically faced.. or more of a roadblock your "research group" faced?

Not sure where you got that prompt from. Here's what we had (2007-2008 application cycle)

1) One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum 2 is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in a scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non medically-related investigations. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

2) The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining insight into you as a person. Please describe an experience or situation which you found personally challenging and discuss how it helped to shape you as a person. You may discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, situation of personal adversity or other life-event you believe to have been important in your personal development. Please limit your essay to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs

1) One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum 2 is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in a scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non medically-related investigations. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

2) The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining insight into you as a person. Please describe an experience or situation which you found personally challenging and discuss how it helped to shape you as a person. You may discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, situation of personal adversity or other life-event you believe to have been important in your personal development. Please limit your essay to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs

I actually only answered the second question. I had no substantial research experience at the time of my app (who am I kidding, I have none now). So, for the first question I said something like "Although my work with __________ has provided many opportunities to employ my creative problem-solving skills, I do not have any academic research experience to adequately answer this question."

Oh yeah, and I'm starting at Case in July.

I actually only answered the second question. I had no substantial research experience at the time of my app (who am I kidding, I have none now). So, for the first question I said something like "Although my work with __________ has provided many opportunities to employ my creative problem-solving skills, I do not have any academic research experience to adequately answer this question."

Oh yeah, and I'm starting at Case in July.

As a non-trad applicant leaving the information security/technology consulting world, I had no substantial research experience (medical or otherwise). But a lot of project work for clients required me to use similar problem solving logic to handle. I called Case to ask, and was told that it was perfectly acceptable to write about my work-based experiences. Mrs. Rosenblum said, "Sure! Why not? You'll be telling the committee something more about you that they didn't already know."

I was accepted in October.

And for those on the alternate list, I have deferred my acceptance until next year for personal reasons, so that's one more spot opening up in this year's class.

anyone know if i should direct my update letter to mrs rosenblum, mr essman, or dr mehta?

im going to email them my update letter and im just trying to figure out who i should send it to

thanks

anyone know if i should direct my update letter to mrs rosenblum, mr essman, or dr mehta?

im going to email them my update letter and im just trying to figure out who i should send it to

thanks

I addressed my letter to the admissions committee, but sent the letter to Ellen Rosenblum. She'll make sure it gets to Christian and Dr. Mehta.

As a non-trad applicant leaving the information security/technology consulting world, I had no substantial research experience (medical or otherwise). But a lot of project work for clients required me to use similar problem solving logic to handle. I called Case to ask, and was told that it was perfectly acceptable to write about my work-based experiences. Mrs. Rosenblum said, "Sure! Why not? You'll be telling the committee something more about you that they didn't already know."

I was accepted in October.

And for those on the alternate list, I have deferred my acceptance until next year for personal reasons, so that's one more spot opening up in this year's class.

sweet, i had similar work experience. guess i lucked out when i chose not to write an essay. honestly at that point it might have sucked because i was already quite tired of writing essays.

I addressed my letter to the admissions committee, but sent the letter to Ellen Rosenblum. She'll make sure it gets to Christian and Dr. Mehta.

i second this. you can find her email address at the directory, http://phonebook.case.edu/global/

email her and she will print it out to add to your file

withdrew my spot w/ 21.5k/yr scholarship. good luck to those on the alternate list!

Hey everyone, waitlist movement has begun! I got a phone call at noon today from Dr. Mehta AND Mr. Essman (they were using speakerphone) and they accepted me off of the waitlist! I will most definitely be going to Case, they are my top choice :laugh:. I had emailed my second update letter addressed to Mr. Essman earlier on Monday of this week. Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! i guess well be classmates in july.

Congratulations to you two, hopefully more of us on the alternate list will be joining you soon!
Sorry guys, unfortunetly I did not come in off of the waitlist. I just meant that I just decided to attend Case. I hope you guys have some luck soon, and hang in there.

Hey everyone, waitlist movement has begun! I got a phone call at noon today from Dr. Mehta AND Mr. Essman (they were using speakerphone) and they accepted me off of the waitlist! I will most definitely be going to Case, they are my top choice :laugh:. I had emailed my second update letter addressed to Mr. Essman earlier on Monday of this week. Good luck to everyone else!

congrats!

Reporting more waitlist movement, got a call today. I'm in! The super secret identity is because of my extreme paranoia at SOMEHOW screwing this up. CASE WESTERN!

Reporting more waitlist movement, got a call today. I'm in! The super secret identity is because of my extreme paranoia at SOMEHOW screwing this up. CASE WESTERN!

Welcome! This is going to be a fabulous class! (There's a Facebook page for the Case class of 2012 too. Check it out!)

I love Case. They were the first school to offer me an acceptance, and the faculty and staff were amazing, but I received another offer I couldn't refuse.

I just gave up my spot + merit award, and I hope this results in someone hearing some very happy news today!

May 15th comes and goes, I'm all set in my mind - I know where I'll be . . . and I get a voicemail at 9 this morning from Dr. Mehta. Off the waitlist I go! I'm on the clock - have no idea what I'll do. I really never even thought Case would be an option, it's been my dream school all along.

Of course something like this would happen to me... I was planning on calling Case yesterday to withdraw my app from the waitlist, but they called me first to offer me a spot. Too little, too late for me, I'm set on another school. Good luck to fellow waitlistees, hope one of you gets my spot.

i'm wondering the same thing. seems awfully quiet....

Oops I just posted but something with my message got garbled. My message said that I heard from Case Western and will be attending in a month!! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!