Case Western (CWRU) vs Mount Sinai (Icahn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianPremed7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian citizen completing my master’s degree and have been accepted to both CWRU and Mount Sinai. I think both schools are great. They have unique advantages and disadvantages and I am having a hard time picking one. I have until next week to choose between these two schools. I am interested in academic medicine and would like to study psychiatry or neurology. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Pros
  • NYC (more exciting city, more diversity of patient population?)
  • Better chances of NYC residency
  • Better known for neurology and psychiatry (fields I am interested in)
  • Most lectures are optional and video-recorded (may not have to attend all classes)
  • Quizzes every week (tested more frequently, will be able to stay on top of my studies)
  • Will get a chance to rotate at 7 different hospitals.
  • Has almost double the amount of NIH funding (not sure if this matters - it might get me good paid research opportunities)
  • Subsidized residence (about $700 a month) at a 5 minute walk to the medical school building
  • Right next to Central Park (I enjoy going out for walks and runs)
  • Every room in the admissions building and the student residence has big windows - more natural light!
Cons
  • Traditional 2-year long subject-based curriculum
  • Quizzes every week (tested more frequently, more stress)
  • Students generally seemed more stressed out at interview day and were also less friendly
  • Only get one half day off a week
  • Clinical affiliates not as highly reputed as Cleveland Clinic

Case Western Reserve University

Pros
  • Better chances of residency at Cleveland Clinic
  • Can do research and clinical rotations at Cleveland Clinic (well reputed hospital with amazing research opportunities)
  • Had a 100% match rate in the last cycle
  • Get afternoons off and one full day off a week (less stressful!)
  • Shorter preclinical term (more clinical experience)
  • Mandatory research thesis (I like doing research)
  • Some lectures are recorded but IQ (PBL) sessions are mandatory
  • Students generally seemed happier
  • The clinical affiliates of Case Western (UH, Cleveland Clinic) may be better reputed than the ones at Mount Sinai.

Cons
  • Need a car
  • It is about $11000/year more expensive
  • Cleveland is a more boring city
  • Larger class size compared to Mount Sinai
  • Need to rent a place that would be at least a 15 minute walk to the school and would cost about the same or more as the residence at Mount Sinai

Questions:
  • How are the match rates at mount sinai? (where can I get this information?)
  • How are the average step scores at the two schools?
  • Is CWRU better for me if I am interested in academic medicine?
  • Which one would make it easier for me to come back to work in Canada?
  • Which city is safer to live in?

Summary: I’m drawn toward Mount Sinai because of its location, lower tuition, and because it is better known for neurology/psychiatry. I’m drawn to Case Western because of its curriculum and because I perceived students to be happier at Case on interview day.

Members don't see this ad.