case western hold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

shamthis

damn-- that was my first choice...does anybody know how many people who are 'held' eventually get in?

really bummed about this-- a big hit.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone previously posted that CWRU was inclined to offer few of their acceptances until January - and then would take a big chunk of their interviewees. So, it's not a waitlist...yet.

thanks x

yeah i got waitlisted at 3 schools last year, so to me, waitlist pretty much equals rejection...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by shamthis
thanks x

yeah i got waitlisted at 3 schools last year, so to me, waitlist pretty much equals rejection...

Did you apply and interview at CWRU last year? A statistic CWRU likes to tout, but I've never checked up on is that 90% of those that interview at CWRU get into med school somewhere.

CWRU takes a decent amount of people off the waitlists. I had classmates come in off the waitlist as late as July.

If CWRU is sincerely your #1 choice, I would be aggressive, but nonpestering, in letting Dr. Kirby know. Write him a letter. Then I would call every month or so and reaffirm this.

Sometimes admittance is a little harder for non-residents, as they take 60% of their class from Ohio due to a large state grant.

mike

Thanks Mike

I did not apply to Case Western last year. I think at the the post-interview point, residents and non-residents of Ohio have a roughly equal shot. I also agree that perserverence is key. I am gathering some thoughts for a long letter to Dr Kirby restating why I want Case Western. There are other schools I am interested in, but Case is most remarkable.

Thank you for your advice. It is roughly in-line with what I had in mind. Then again, I went nuts post-interview wait last year with Georgeotwn and this year they flat-out rejected me. There's a delicate balance of tact and pesterance here, and I want my pursuit to fall more on the 'tact' side.

I appreciate this....any other stories/insight?

Sham

Thanks Mike

I did not apply to Case Western last year. I think at the the post-interview point, residents and non-residents of Ohio have a roughly equal shot. I also agree that perserverence is key. I am gathering some thoughts for a long letter to Dr Kirby restating why I want Case Western. There are other schools I am interested in, but Case is most remarkable.

Thank you for your advice. It is roughly in-line with what I had in mind. Then again, I went nuts post-interview wait last year with Georgeotwn and this year they flat-out rejected me. There's a delicate balance of tact and pesterance here, and I want my pursuit to fall more on the 'tact' side.

I appreciate this....any other stories/insight?

Sham

Well, the short, rough reality of it is, you went the distance with Georgetown, shot your wad, and they ended up not wanting you. They rejected you quickly because they knew after all was said and done last year, they'd rather just say no thanks. Forget them now and concentrate on the places that have shown interest.

CWRU accepts outright roughly 2x their class size and even this isn't enough. CWRU sits around the bottom of all the "good schools," so there is a mix of students that get into all sorts of Ivy League places then come to CWRU because of financial incentives, and those of us lower class who were happy to get into Case. :)

Dr. Kirby should be able to give you more solid #s re: accepted, waitlisted, final acceptance. BTW, did you interview with him?

Good luck. CWRU is a pretty good school compared to others. It has its flaws, but remember, I'm at the end, you're at the beginning, so look for other peoples' opinions as well.

mike

Thanks Mike.

Regarding CWRU, I certainly have seen the light. I think the most impressive aspect of Case is its promise for the future. And, as you mentioned, it is a real treat for those of us who consider Case a 'reach'. I was real impressed by the facilities and comfortable with the surroundings. My student hosts were hospitable and we had a good time.

On the hold letter, Dean Kirby explicitly requests our "(...) patience during this year. Please do not call our office (...)". My perserverence will stop at letter-writing; I will honor his request. Dr David McCoy was my interviewer. Really nice guy- I think he is a toxicologist or something along those lines... I have his card on my desk at home. If I gather the 'gall' (for the lack of a better word) to email Dr McCoy, I might do so and ask what he suggests. But I already know the answer, "write love letters to Dr Kirby and the committee". Right now I favor the conservative approach: one long letter in the next week or two. As time goes on I may or may not update my file with new developments.

Fact is, Case IS my top choice and I'll try my darndest not to let this one slip through the cracks.

Thanks again
Sham

I was tossed into the "hold" pit back at the end of the October, and I sent them a letter a couple weeks ago just updating them on a few small developments since my interview, but mostly indicating continued interest and thanking them for keeping me under consideration. I won't send them anything else until March-ish, when I'll make another small packet with new letters of recommendation, update on activities, and reiterate my interest.

I have a bad feeling I'm not going to receive any outright acceptances, and am going to be playing the waiting list begging game with all of my favorite schools this year - Vanderbilt, CWRU, Emory, Pittsburgh, and Columbia.

Sham--

I interviewed with Dr. McCoy as well! He was a really nice guy...
did you tell him whether or not Case was your #1 choice during the interview? He asked me where Case ranked on my list, and at the time, I wasn't sure so I told him probably 2 or 3...

I guess it didn't hurt me, I got in the next week, but I just wondered if he had asked you that. If they don't already know its your top choice, you should definitely let them know.

Maybe you can have my spot... I'm thinking of turning my spot down in the next few weeks.

Good luck, hope you get in soon!!

Scott

Scott,

You lucky summbidge...I'd love your spot :) --yes, I told them Case was my first choice and wrote a letter confirming...

Sham

Last cycle I gave up my spot at Case the last week in July (I was offered a spot at UCSF that same day). So don't give up on wait lists, someone in this year's class there got in less than two weeks before orientation. Hope you get in sooner, though. Good luck.

I'm in this hold category too, and Case is also my first choice. I've already written one letter, about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I was thinking about updating my transcripts and sending another letter soon. I really really want to go to Case.

Originally posted by paean
Last cycle I gave up my spot at Case the last week in July (I was offered a spot at UCSF that same day). So don't give up on wait lists, someone in this year's class there got in less than two weeks before orientation. Hope you get in sooner, though. Good luck.

As you are well aware, you're sorely missed :(

Thanks Mike.

Regarding CWRU, I certainly have seen the light. I think the most impressive aspect of Case is its promise for the future. And, as you mentioned, it is a real treat for those of us who consider Case a 'reach'. I was real impressed by the facilities and comfortable with the surroundings. My student hosts were hospitable and we had a good time.

On the hold letter, Dean Kirby explicitly requests our "(...) patience during this year. Please do not call our office (...)". My perserverence will stop at letter-writing; I will honor his request. Dr David McCoy was my interviewer. Really nice guy- I think he is a toxicologist or something along those lines... I have his card on my desk at home. If I gather the 'gall' (for the lack of a better word) to email Dr McCoy, I might do so and ask what he suggests. But I already know the answer, "write love letters to Dr Kirby and the committee". Right now I favor the conservative approach: one long letter in the next week or two. As time goes on I may or may not update my file with new developments.

Fact is, Case IS my top choice and I'll try my darndest not to let this one slip through the cracks.

Thanks again
Sham

As a side bar, sorry if I detract from the OP, but does anyone know how you would become a toxicologist? What type of residency would you do? Any idea what their typical day is like? I am getting my undergrad degree in toxicology and am interested in future medical options related to it. Thanks

oh okay but i have heard of clinical toxicologists :confused: , anyways thanks for the info sham and i will keep those fingers crossed for you and case

Probably a residency in Endocrinology and a fellowship in toxicology.

Hi guys- for this "hold", does anyone recommend not doing anything...and waiting? Or is that the kiss of death?

Hi guys- for this "hold", does anyone recommend not doing anything...and waiting? Or is that the kiss of death?

You should do something about it. If you have new grades/activities, update them on it. Reaffirm your interest. And pray.

I am post interview, and I am kind of confused now. Here is the order of things:

-Tuesday (yesterday), mid-afternoon, 3:00 PM, I checked my iApply, and saw that I was on "hold."
-Tuesday evening the email comes saying my status has been updated.
-Wednesday (today) at 1:00 PM another email comes saying my status has been updated.
-I check iApply, and see nothing.

Can I expect an actual update this afternoon? Or do you think it is just an iApply glitch that I received 2 emails?

I am post interview, and I am kind of confused now. Here is the order of things:

-Tuesday (yesterday), mid-afternoon, 3:00 PM, I checked my iApply, and saw that I was on "hold."
-Tuesday evening the email comes saying my status has been updated.
-Wednesday (today) at 1:00 PM another email comes saying my status has been updated.
-I check iApply, and see nothing.

Can I expect an actual update this afternoon? Or do you think it is just an iApply glitch that I received 2 emails?

Same situation here - almost definitely a glitch.