Quantcast

Case Western MS in Medical Physiology 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was your reason to not move forward?
I got accepted to a local SMP less than 10 minutes from my home that is affiliated with an allopathic school. I also felt that although an excellent education, Case was driven more towards producing scientists and researchers rather than preparing students for medical school. It is very heavy on physiology and not much else. Great program regardless!

Wolverine9518

Reaction score
How do they notify upon their decision? Just waiting.

I received an email from Case with a PDF file of my acceptance. Both the letter as well as the email contained information on how to accept the offer and next steps. They are pretty prompt in their application process.

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Case with a PDF file of my acceptance. Both the letter as well as the email contained information on how to accept the offer and next steps. They are pretty prompt in their application process.
I you are accepted say for this coming semester do they allow you to start or defer to the next?

Wolverine9518

Reaction score
I you are accepted say for this coming semester do they allow you to start or defer to the next?

I think it depends on your situation. From my understanding, you can request to defer for up to two semesters and they may or may not grant your request. Since technically your application/admission was accepted for a specific class and specific start date, and standards might change with each incoming class. I’d recommend their website below:

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been accepted on this friday. Anybody else here going? How is financial aid looking?

Reactions: 1 user

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted friday and can't do much yet but wait for my info.

Hey how many credits you take before you apply for med school? Is there early release?

IV_Thoughts&Prayers

Reaction score
Ive been accepted on this friday. Anybody else here going? How is financial aid looking?

congrats on your acceptance! I'm a first year student here that just started in the summer.

What exactly do you want to know about financial aid? It's all federal loans, unfortunately, and the program is quite expensive. However, the reputation of the school and the possibility for making connections is what sold me on the program.

You have to take a minimum of 32 credits before you can graduate. How fast you complete that requirement is up to you and there are a good number of electives to choose from. As soon as you have the credits, you can graduate.

My experience is limited but I'm here for any other questions you may have

Last edited:

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
congrats on your acceptance! I'm a first year student here that just started in the summer.

What exactly do you want to know about financial aid? It's all federal loans, unfortunately, and the program is quite expensive. However, the reputation of the school and the possibility for making connections is what sold me on the program.

You have to take a minimum of 32 credits before you can graduate. How fast you complete that requirement is up to you and there are a good number of electives to choose from. As soon as you have the credits, you can graduate.

My experience is limited but I'm here for any other questions you may have
Are you an online student? I am and am in Michigan. I'm thinking of moving there for fall. What classes are you taking? I was going to start this semester too but wasnt set up for financial aid yet. I'm all caught up now

IV_Thoughts&Prayers

Reaction score
Are you an online student? I am and am in Michigan. I'm thinking of moving there for fall. What classes are you taking? I was going to start this semester too but wasnt set up for financial aid yet. I'm all caught up now

I'm a resident student. I moved because I wanted to be here in person to make connections. I figured these people will be able to better vouch for us when we reapply if they've actually established a relationship with us. For the summer I'm only taking one elective: Clinical Reasoning. I highly recommend the class.

Moving was a pain but I think it's going to be worth it. Have you 100% committed to this program?

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a resident student. I moved because I wanted to be here in person to make connections. I figured these people will be able to better vouch for us when we reapply if they've actually established a relationship with us. For the summer I'm only taking one elective: Clinical Reasoning. I highly recommend the class.

Moving was a pain but I think it's going to be worth it. Have you 100% committed to this program?
Yep I'm starting in the fall. I just came into this idea partly for what u stated.

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Where'd u move from?

hiasm

Reaction score
Online it said that tuition is approx 22k per semester. If students complete the program in 2 years, they pay ~88k!? Or am I misunderstanding something?

frosted2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Online it said that tuition is approx 22k per semester. If students complete the program in 2 years, they pay ~88k!? Or am I misunderstanding something?
Nope, its about that much! Crazy expensive.

IV_Thoughts&Prayers

Reaction score
Mannn... so even BU is cheaper. i will definitely aim to finish in 1.5 years

Tuition is only ~22k per semester for the Core part of the curriculum since you're not supposed to take more than 10 credit hours per semester (exceptions exist). Keep in mind that you only need 32 credit hours to graduate so after the Core, you will have 20 credits. At the Graduate rate of ~2k per credit hour, the remaining 12 credits that you'll need should be $24k total. It does not matter how quickly you finish the program since you're charged per credit hour. If you want to finish in 1.5 years you'll pay the same as completing in 2 years. All in, tuition should be around $66k which is definitely expensive. Keep in mind, this does not include any room/ board fees so that's something you want to be aware of. Given then significantly cheaper housing in Cleveland, I would say this program actually works out to be similar if not a little bit cheaper than BU/ Tufts.

hiasm

Reaction score
Tuition is only ~22k per semester for the Core part of the curriculum since you're not supposed to take more than 10 credit hours per semester (exceptions exist). Keep in mind that you only need 32 credit hours to graduate so after the Core, you will have 20 credits. At the Graduate rate of ~2k per credit hour, the remaining 12 credits that you'll need should be $24k total. It does not matter how quickly you finish the program since you're charged per credit hour. If you want to finish in 1.5 years you'll pay the same as completing in 2 years. All in, tuition should be around $66k which is definitely expensive. Keep in mind, this does not include any room/ board fees so that's something you want to be aware of. Given then significantly cheaper housing in Cleveland, I would say this program actually works out to be similar if not a little bit cheaper than BU/ Tufts.
Thank you sooo much for this clarification. I feel so much lighter now lol

B.G.M.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any insight would be appreciated.
On the website it says

The Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine will guarantee our students an interview if they meet these benchmarks:
Undergraduate GPA > 3.4; Graduate GPA in our program > 3.5 ; MCAT score > 90th percentile

But with these stats wouldn't these students have a shot at Case Western and many other medical schools regardlessly?

Do they not guarantee students with uGPA below 3.4? or MCAT score below 90th percentile?

IV_Thoughts&Prayers

Reaction score
Any insight would be appreciated.
On the website it says

The Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine will guarantee our students an interview if they meet these benchmarks:
Undergraduate GPA > 3.4; Graduate GPA in our program > 3.5 ; MCAT score > 90th percentile

But with these stats wouldn't these students have a shot at Case Western and many other medical schools regardlessly?

Do they not guarantee students with uGPA below 3.4? or MCAT score below 90th percentile?

With an undergraduate GPA of 3.4 you are definitely not guaranteed to get in to an MD school even if you have an MCAT in the 90th percentile. You have a shot but it's still possible to not get into an MD program with those stats. The MSMP would be more than enough to give those candidates that extra little push in the right direction. For DO schools you should be good with those stats.

As for the interview at Case's med school, my understanding is that if you have a uGPA of <3.4 OR an MCAT <90th percentile then you're not guaranteed to receive an interview invite. They say some people below these parameters that do well in the MSMP program do get interview invites but, again, nothing is guaranteed.

DrMcStuffins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I'm a Case Western MSMP grad! I'm taking my Step 2 on Friday and trying not to study or stress so I decided to come on here to answer any questions you have about the program, so ask away!

DrMcStuffins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

How long did it take for them to respond to your application? I completed my application last Friday and I know it's really early but I would want to get a decision asap since I'd only have a month to move to Cleveland.
Honestly, I called haha. I wanted mine to go through quickly and they didn't seem to mind. And yes, it did speed up the process

berriemilkshake

Reaction score
Graduated from this program recently. Glad to answer any questions!

Hi, I recently got accepted to Case's program starting in Spring 2020 (semester starts on January 15th I think). I really wanted to finish the course in 1 year- not recommended, I know, but I'm kind of limited on time- assuming that I do, could I theoretically apply for med school for the 2020 cycle since I'd already have 2 semesters of grades in?

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One year Is insane. Im in the first semester I work only two days and Im decelerated. The core med phys is a lot a 6credits.

berriemilkshake

Reaction score
One year Is insane. Im in the first semester I work only two days and Im decelerated. The core med phys is a lot a 6credits.

Hey, are you taking the online course right now or in-person? And can you tell me a little bit more about your experience so far? I've been stalking so many SDN threads about the program, and I came across a really scary thread where a few people in the program were encouraging applicants to stay away from the program because they thought it was too much money with little to no benefits afterwards. Thoughts?

Mcs0503

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, are you taking the online course right now or in-person? And can you tell me a little bit more about your experience so far? I've been stalking so many SDN threads about the program, and I came across a really scary thread where a few people in the program were encouraging applicants to stay away from the program because they thought it was too much money with little to no benefits afterwards. Thoughts?
I'll inbox you. What thread can you link me to it? That's news to me? Online has been great. I'm doing really well. It's a lot to keep up with but it is doable.

berriemilkshake

Reaction score
I'll inbox you. What thread can you link me to it? That's news to me? Online has been great. I'm doing really well. It's a lot to keep up with but it is doable.

I found it in this thread:

It starts with post #63 (Sodium12's comment) and continues all the way down to the bottom of the page.

lyMD

Reaction score
Hope I am not too late to the party. I am considering applying this year for the PRIME program. I do not need a boost in gpa ( undergrad sgpa 3.9), but might benefit from other aspects of the program: such as having more research opportunities, shadowing opportunities... that I wasn't eligible for in undergrad because I am an international student. After speaking with an admissions officer of the school and sharing my resume and transcript, I was told I am eligible for the merit scholarship. Did anyone here receive the merit scholarship, and if yes, how much did it cover? Does the PRIME program offer research and clinical opportunities that are inclusive to all students? Thank you!