Case Western MS in Medical Physiology 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What was your reason to not move forward?
I got accepted to a local SMP less than 10 minutes from my home that is affiliated with an allopathic school. I also felt that although an excellent education, Case was driven more towards producing scientists and researchers rather than preparing students for medical school. It is very heavy on physiology and not much else. Great program regardless!

Members don't see this ad.

How do they notify upon their decision? Just waiting.

I received an email from Case with a PDF file of my acceptance. Both the letter as well as the email contained information on how to accept the offer and next steps. They are pretty prompt in their application process.

I received an email from Case with a PDF file of my acceptance. Both the letter as well as the email contained information on how to accept the offer and next steps. They are pretty prompt in their application process.
I you are accepted say for this coming semester do they allow you to start or defer to the next?

Members don't see this ad :)
I you are accepted say for this coming semester do they allow you to start or defer to the next?

I think it depends on your situation. From my understanding, you can request to defer for up to two semesters and they may or may not grant your request. Since technically your application/admission was accepted for a specific class and specific start date, and standards might change with each incoming class. I’d recommend their website below:

Ive been accepted on this friday. Anybody else here going? How is financial aid looking?

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted friday and can't do much yet but wait for my info.

Hey how many credits you take before you apply for med school? Is there early release?

Ive been accepted on this friday. Anybody else here going? How is financial aid looking?

congrats on your acceptance! I'm a first year student here that just started in the summer.

What exactly do you want to know about financial aid? It's all federal loans, unfortunately, and the program is quite expensive. However, the reputation of the school and the possibility for making connections is what sold me on the program.

You have to take a minimum of 32 credits before you can graduate. How fast you complete that requirement is up to you and there are a good number of electives to choose from. As soon as you have the credits, you can graduate.

My experience is limited but I'm here for any other questions you may have

Last edited:
congrats on your acceptance! I'm a first year student here that just started in the summer.

What exactly do you want to know about financial aid? It's all federal loans, unfortunately, and the program is quite expensive. However, the reputation of the school and the possibility for making connections is what sold me on the program.

You have to take a minimum of 32 credits before you can graduate. How fast you complete that requirement is up to you and there are a good number of electives to choose from. As soon as you have the credits, you can graduate.

My experience is limited but I'm here for any other questions you may have
Are you an online student? I am and am in Michigan. I'm thinking of moving there for fall. What classes are you taking? I was going to start this semester too but wasnt set up for financial aid yet. I'm all caught up now

Are you an online student? I am and am in Michigan. I'm thinking of moving there for fall. What classes are you taking? I was going to start this semester too but wasnt set up for financial aid yet. I'm all caught up now

I'm a resident student. I moved because I wanted to be here in person to make connections. I figured these people will be able to better vouch for us when we reapply if they've actually established a relationship with us. For the summer I'm only taking one elective: Clinical Reasoning. I highly recommend the class.

Moving was a pain but I think it's going to be worth it. Have you 100% committed to this program?

I'm a resident student. I moved because I wanted to be here in person to make connections. I figured these people will be able to better vouch for us when we reapply if they've actually established a relationship with us. For the summer I'm only taking one elective: Clinical Reasoning. I highly recommend the class.

Moving was a pain but I think it's going to be worth it. Have you 100% committed to this program?
Yep I'm starting in the fall. I just came into this idea partly for what u stated.

Where'd u move from?

Online it said that tuition is approx 22k per semester. If students complete the program in 2 years, they pay ~88k!? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Online it said that tuition is approx 22k per semester. If students complete the program in 2 years, they pay ~88k!? Or am I misunderstanding something?
Nope, its about that much! Crazy expensive.

Mannn... so even BU is cheaper. i will definitely aim to finish in 1.5 years

Tuition is only ~22k per semester for the Core part of the curriculum since you're not supposed to take more than 10 credit hours per semester (exceptions exist). Keep in mind that you only need 32 credit hours to graduate so after the Core, you will have 20 credits. At the Graduate rate of ~2k per credit hour, the remaining 12 credits that you'll need should be $24k total. It does not matter how quickly you finish the program since you're charged per credit hour. If you want to finish in 1.5 years you'll pay the same as completing in 2 years. All in, tuition should be around $66k which is definitely expensive. Keep in mind, this does not include any room/ board fees so that's something you want to be aware of. Given then significantly cheaper housing in Cleveland, I would say this program actually works out to be similar if not a little bit cheaper than BU/ Tufts.

Tuition is only ~22k per semester for the Core part of the curriculum since you're not supposed to take more than 10 credit hours per semester (exceptions exist). Keep in mind that you only need 32 credit hours to graduate so after the Core, you will have 20 credits. At the Graduate rate of ~2k per credit hour, the remaining 12 credits that you'll need should be $24k total. It does not matter how quickly you finish the program since you're charged per credit hour. If you want to finish in 1.5 years you'll pay the same as completing in 2 years. All in, tuition should be around $66k which is definitely expensive. Keep in mind, this does not include any room/ board fees so that's something you want to be aware of. Given then significantly cheaper housing in Cleveland, I would say this program actually works out to be similar if not a little bit cheaper than BU/ Tufts.
Thank you sooo much for this clarification. I feel so much lighter now lol

Any insight would be appreciated.
On the website it says

The Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine will guarantee our students an interview if they meet these benchmarks:
Undergraduate GPA > 3.4; Graduate GPA in our program > 3.5 ; MCAT score > 90th percentile

But with these stats wouldn't these students have a shot at Case Western and many other medical schools regardlessly?

Do they not guarantee students with uGPA below 3.4? or MCAT score below 90th percentile?

Any insight would be appreciated.
On the website it says

The Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine will guarantee our students an interview if they meet these benchmarks:
Undergraduate GPA > 3.4; Graduate GPA in our program > 3.5 ; MCAT score > 90th percentile

But with these stats wouldn't these students have a shot at Case Western and many other medical schools regardlessly?

Do they not guarantee students with uGPA below 3.4? or MCAT score below 90th percentile?

With an undergraduate GPA of 3.4 you are definitely not guaranteed to get in to an MD school even if you have an MCAT in the 90th percentile. You have a shot but it's still possible to not get into an MD program with those stats. The MSMP would be more than enough to give those candidates that extra little push in the right direction. For DO schools you should be good with those stats.

As for the interview at Case's med school, my understanding is that if you have a uGPA of <3.4 OR an MCAT <90th percentile then you're not guaranteed to receive an interview invite. They say some people below these parameters that do well in the MSMP program do get interview invites but, again, nothing is guaranteed.

Hey!

I'm a Case Western MSMP grad! I'm taking my Step 2 on Friday and trying not to study or stress so I decided to come on here to answer any questions you have about the program, so ask away!

Hello!

How long did it take for them to respond to your application? I completed my application last Friday and I know it's really early but I would want to get a decision asap since I'd only have a month to move to Cleveland.
Honestly, I called haha. I wanted mine to go through quickly and they didn't seem to mind. And yes, it did speed up the process

Graduated from this program recently. Glad to answer any questions!

Hi, I recently got accepted to Case's program starting in Spring 2020 (semester starts on January 15th I think). I really wanted to finish the course in 1 year- not recommended, I know, but I'm kind of limited on time- assuming that I do, could I theoretically apply for med school for the 2020 cycle since I'd already have 2 semesters of grades in?

One year Is insane. Im in the first semester I work only two days and Im decelerated. The core med phys is a lot a 6credits.

One year Is insane. Im in the first semester I work only two days and Im decelerated. The core med phys is a lot a 6credits.

Hey, are you taking the online course right now or in-person? And can you tell me a little bit more about your experience so far? I've been stalking so many SDN threads about the program, and I came across a really scary thread where a few people in the program were encouraging applicants to stay away from the program because they thought it was too much money with little to no benefits afterwards. Thoughts?

Hey, are you taking the online course right now or in-person? And can you tell me a little bit more about your experience so far? I've been stalking so many SDN threads about the program, and I came across a really scary thread where a few people in the program were encouraging applicants to stay away from the program because they thought it was too much money with little to no benefits afterwards. Thoughts?
I'll inbox you. What thread can you link me to it? That's news to me? Online has been great. I'm doing really well. It's a lot to keep up with but it is doable.

I'll inbox you. What thread can you link me to it? That's news to me? Online has been great. I'm doing really well. It's a lot to keep up with but it is doable.

I found it in this thread:

It starts with post #63 (Sodium12's comment) and continues all the way down to the bottom of the page.

Hope I am not too late to the party. I am considering applying this year for the PRIME program. I do not need a boost in gpa ( undergrad sgpa 3.9), but might benefit from other aspects of the program: such as having more research opportunities, shadowing opportunities... that I wasn't eligible for in undergrad because I am an international student. After speaking with an admissions officer of the school and sharing my resume and transcript, I was told I am eligible for the merit scholarship. Did anyone here receive the merit scholarship, and if yes, how much did it cover? Does the PRIME program offer research and clinical opportunities that are inclusive to all students? Thank you!

Hello,

I was recently granted acceptance into the medical physiology program. Is the program worth it pertaining matriculation into a M.D. or D.D.S. Program?

Hello,

I was recently granted acceptance into the medical physiology program. Is the program worth it pertaining matriculation into a M.D. or D.D.S. Program?
If you have previously applied unsuccessfully or feel that your application needs a boost, yes it's 100% worth it. The vast majority of graduates successfully matriculate into some professional school. The program is for sure expensive, but the Committee letter carries a good bit of weight when applying to schools. You asked about MD and DDS. Are you interested in both and havent made up your mind about career path?

If you have previously applied unsuccessfully or feel that your application needs a boost, yes it's 100% worth it. The vast majority of graduates successfully matriculate into some professional school. The program is for sure expensive, but the Committee letter carries a good bit of weight when applying to schools. You asked about MD and DDS. Are you interested in both and havent made up your mind about career path?
Thank you so much. I haven’t applied in the cycle just yet, my MCAT needs to boost dramatically. I have a good gpa, research, clinical hours, and leadership. I want a program to help me drastically in the MCAT arena.

Thank you so much. I haven’t applied in the cycle just yet, my MCAT needs to boost dramatically. I have a good gpa, research, clinical hours, and leadership. I want a program to help me drastically in the MCAT arena.
In my humble opinion, if your GPA and extracurriculars are all good (and you havent been out of school for multiple years), no master's program is right for you. Master's programs are more meant for people that have low GPAs or need the connections for research and/or shadowing. Case's MSMP program would likely help you to become a better test taker because of the fast-paced program, the weekly quizzes, and the monthly block exams, but to me that's not a good reason to spend >$50,000, just to increase your MCAT score. You would be much better off signing up for a schedule through MCAT Bros for $500ish (I promise I'm not sponsored/ work for them) and take as many practice questions and exams a possible. That is a much cheaper and better plan than enrolling in a "special master's program" like Case. So unless you just have endless money that you want to spend, spend a year doing something meaninful to you, and get a specific MCAT tutoring system, like the one mentioned above. That is what you need, not an extra set of initials after your name.

Last edited:
Awesome, I'm a pre-dental student that will be attending the program also.
Hey, I was pre-med but I am leaning more toward dentistry now. I was recently accepted to the program and was wondering if it is worth the loan? Also, how hard is it to find apartments in that town?