Case Western --> On Hold Category

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doko

holla atcha boy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep posting things that have probably been discussed a number of times, but I don't have the search button.

I was recently placed on the Hold category after interviewing there a few weeks ago, and was wondering how many people come off of this?

I'm assuming that the on Hold is the same as a Waitlist.

Can anybody elaborate or help out?

Members don't see this ad.

Doko said:
Sorry to keep posting things that have probably been discussed a number of times, but I don't have the search button.

I was recently placed on the Hold category after interviewing there a few weeks ago, and was wondering how many people come off of this?

I'm assuming that the on Hold is the same as a Waitlist.

Can anybody elaborate or help out?

I'm in the same situation. It was my understanding that on hold differed from traditional waitlists in that they continue to review your file throughout the year, not just at the end as is the case with waitlists. I may be wrong, anyone who knows please give details.

Nothing new to add, but I'm on hold there too. They do continue reviewing your file, but I'm not sure of the dates they meet, or how many are eventually accepted. I don't have high expectations for finding out anytime soon though...they're currently going thru piles of apps from August MCATers and decigin who to accept from that category. That's gonna keep them busy for a while. If you do get accepted though, let us know!

Doko, were you accepted into the CCLCM program already? I remember you posting there.

Members don't see this ad :)
funshine said:
Nothing new to add, but I'm on hold there too. They do continue reviewing your file, but I'm not sure of the dates they meet, or how many are eventually accepted. I don't have high expectations for finding out anytime soon though...they're currently going thru piles of apps from August MCATers and decigin who to accept from that category. That's gonna keep them busy for a while. If you do get accepted though, let us know!

Doko, were you accepted into the CCLCM program already? I remember you posting there.

Hey Funshine,

I haven't been accepted at CCLCLM. I actually haven't heard back from them at all, and it's been almost 3 weeks since I interviewed there. I thought my interview went great there, but I seem to be getting waitlisted at all of my top choice schools... something has gotta be DEFINITELY wrong with my application. >sigh<

Good luck to everyone... I really hate this process.

Doko, where did you stay for your Case/CCLCM interviews? With a student host or at a hotel? PM me if you want. Thanks!

rhystheprince said:
Doko, where did you stay for your Case/CCLCM interviews? With a student host or at a hotel? PM me if you want. Thanks!

Hey Prince,

I actually rented a car because I found it to be cheaper than paying for transportation and an expensive hotel. I stayed at a Comfort Inn about 10 miles away for $50 a night while I was interviewing at both places.

But there was traffic and so I was almost late to my Case interview... I would recommend staying at that nice hotel place next to CCLCM.... you'll be comfortable there and won't have any worries about being late.

Doko.

Doko said:
Hey Funshine,

I haven't been accepted at CCLCLM. I actually haven't heard back from them at all, and it's been almost 3 weeks since I interviewed there. I thought my interview went great there, but I seem to be getting waitlisted at all of my top choice schools... something has gotta be DEFINITELY wrong with my application. >sigh<

Good luck to everyone... I really hate this process.

I hate that! Feeling like there has to be SOMETHING wrong with your application, but you don't know what, and you start wondering if your recommendation writers ratted you out about that one incident involving the rattlesnake and the 6-iron after all...

But seriously, I get the same feeling, too. I'm tempted to start asking admissions offices: "OK, what the hell is wrong with me???"

Thanks Doko.

I'm a Cali guys so renting a car would not be my top choice right now (unless it's a care that could fly!!!) I did check out that hotel you are talking about, and it's really expensive. I mean for a night, sure, why not. But 2 nights in a row, that would be a real disaster. Thanks for the reply though.

To anybody else who has interviewed at CWR/CCLCM, where did you stay? I am in desperate need for a good deal...

rhystheprince said:
Thanks Doko.

I'm a Cali guys so renting a car would not be my top choice right now (unless it's a care that could fly!!!) I did check out that hotel you are talking about, and it's really expensive. I mean for a night, sure, why not. But 2 nights in a row, that would be a real disaster. Thanks for the reply though.

To anybody else who has interviewed at CWR/CCLCM, where did you stay? I am in desperate need for a good deal...

the best deal is to stay with a current student, it's free. I stayed 3 nights with a wonderful host, and learned a LOT about Case, not so much about Lerner, but a little anyway. You get to see how your lifestyle can be... free time, area activities, the students' dispositions, etc.
I wasn't sold on Cleveland as a city, but staying with the students really opened my eyes to the life that can be had there.

You should have gotten a master list along with your Case interview packet. I just went down the list and emailed a few people.

Good Luck!

Oh and fyi, you might want to offer them gas money to pick you up from the airport if they have time, b/c it's an expensive cab ride. You can take the train, though. takes longer but is only like 2 bucks.

Thanks muzikbuf.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I have not received an "interview packet" though. Did you get it after you scheduled your interview, or do they send it at the time they email the invite?

rhystheprince said:
Thanks Doko.

check the alcazar hotel. its nearby case and thus close to cclcom. any hotels located directly downtown would be fine as well, as the RTA (cleveland's equivalent to a subway system) runs from downtown to case. that should help.

rhystheprince said:
Thanks muzikbuf.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I have not received an "interview packet" though. Did you get it after you scheduled your interview, or do they send it at the time they email the invite?

well if you call ellen rosenblum ( i think that's her name) she'll send you one. she's the administrator you talked to when you made your interview date. if you aren't able to contact her, PM me and i'll scan you my list.

It's scary...the Admissions committee meets today (Monday) and I'm in the pool to potentially be reviewed. *crosses fingers* G'luck to everyone who's in this pool w/ me!

I was on the hold list last year, and I got the feeling after calling their admissions office that they really like people who show interest/declare Case to be their top choice. I didn't get in, but then Case wasn't my top choice and I wasn't going to lie about it to try to get in.

I think that for schools like Case (upper tier, but not top 10) showing interest and sending updates on what you're doing is a very good thing.

From my experience, schools that like getting interest BEFORE giving out interviews:
Jefferson, SLU

Schools that like getting interest AFTER you get put on a hold/waitlist:
Case, Pitt

Hey,
I interviewed at case last year and was put on the hold list. In April, they cut the list in half and call it the alternate list. After talking to the dean of admissions several times last year, she told me that they accepted less than 20 people from the alternate list.

Borat7 said:
Hey,
I interviewed at case last year and was put on the hold list. In April, they cut the list in half and call it the alternate list. After talking to the dean of admissions several times last year, she told me that they accepted less than 20 people from the alternate list.
So, pretty much "Hold" means "we're going to reject 50% of you and then waitlist the rest"?

The feeling of doom overwhelms me. I thought my interview there went really well. Maybe when they reviewed my file again, they noticed all my grammar errors and that's the end of that. :*(

And the thing is, in the "hold" letter, they asked that you don't call to ask what your status is. I feel so confused and helpless.

Man, you guys are scaring me, I just interviewed at Case last week (11/22), obviously still waiting for a decision. 20 people off the waitlist? I wonder if that's a lot or very little...I'd sure love to attend CWRU.

Quick question, after secondary is submitted does it take a few weeks for CWRU to upload letters of rec, b/c I've had mine if for a month (plus resent them) and they are still not up. Office assistant told me that is common....?
Truth or easy answer?

UNC-or-BUST said:
Quick question, after secondary is submitted does it take a few weeks for CWRU to upload letters of rec, b/c I've had mine if for a month (plus resent them) and they are still not up. Office assistant told me that is common....?
Truth or easy answer?

I was having the same problem.....but supposedly it only takes a few seconds to upload the letters. And the catch is if you're applying to Case and CCLCM, CCLCM will not see your file until Case has uploaded everything. I finally caved in and actually called CCLCM explaining how everything was already there and asking when my file would be reviewed. The lady was super nice and actually went and uploaded everything herself which finally made my file complete. I got an offer for interviews at both places a week after this. Thank GOD for her cuz I think I probably would still not be complete at this school.

Moral of the story......try getting someone at CCLCM to upload your file if you applied to both programs. If not...sorry I can't be of more help.

Messerschmitts said:
Man, you guys are scaring me, I just interviewed at Case last week (11/22), obviously still waiting for a decision. 20 people off the waitlist? I wonder if that's a lot or very little...I'd sure love to attend CWRU.

20 out of 132 non MSTP first years isnt a small amount! regardless, suffice it to say that it is quite early in the decision process here at case. take my word that there are many slots still left to be given out.