Case Western Rainbow Babies vs. Metrohealth (Med-Peds)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatUpDoc!

The Sign Says It All
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These programs both look great on paper, but I was wondering if anyone could offer personal experiences with either program or shed some light on the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm the Med-Peds Chief Resident at Rainbow/UH. Our website hasn't been updated for the new year yet. Please feel free to e-mail with any questions.

I'm sure my counterpart at Metro is also willing to field questions. Her name is Anjali.

Brian Chow
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump.

I have read that MetroHealth is CWRU's community program? And that RBC/University Hospitals is the university based. Can anyone verify this?

Bump.

I have read that MetroHealth is CWRU's community program? And that RBC/University Hospitals is the university based. Can anyone verify this?

Yes, that's correct. One of my attendings trained at the Rainbow program. The MetroHealth program is more a community/"university-associated" program. Also, taking a look at the residents at each program it looks like the MetroHealth program tends to take more IMGs, which would fit with a more community-based program.

Hope this helps!

I'm kind of embarassed about this, but in my mind I had switched the two programs and so I applied to Metrohealth instead of Rainbow Babies. I kind of wondered why Case-Western was so quick to give me an interview.

I'm kind of embarassed about this, but in my mind I had switched the two programs and so I applied to Metrohealth instead of Rainbow Babies. I kind of wondered why Case-Western was so quick to give me an interview.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Metrohealth is a bad program in any way. I don't think I know enough about it to judge it accurately, I just happen to know more about the Rainbow program b/c of my attending. For many, Metrohealth might be a great program. I mean, let's be honest, we're not all going to match at Mass Gen nor would we be happy there. It takes all kinds, right? So I'm not sure I'd be so quick to call it the "wrong" program until you learn more about it.

metro based on my experience (i have none with uh/rb)

Med/peds dept is very supportive, all PD and 3 assistant PD are very helpful to the residents.
IM - very strong. Lots of autonomy without losing attending teaching.
Peds - also strong, but the numbers are not as high as with IM, but that is for most combined programs. Lots of teaching done by faculty and as the residents rotate through CCF, it becomes more apparent how much more autonomy one has even as an intern.

PS this is not to knock CCF peds, as they are very busy, but the attending has to be called with every admission even if it is a straightforward case.

Hope that is helpful for anyone who is potentially looking at MH.

BTW if you would like to do any electives at UH/RB/CCF, almost never a problem.