case western reserve info/perspectives/interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaelia

neenlet
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be at CWRUSOM next Monday, and I don't really know much about it beyond its reputation and location (reputation good; location Cleveland). :)

I would welcome anyone's comments or perspectives, whether current medical students, past interviewees, or their sister's ex-boyfriend's cousin said "...."

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by xaelia
I'll be at CWRUSOM next Monday, and I don't really know much about it beyond its reputation and location (reputation good; location Cleveland). :)

I would welcome anyone's comments or perspectives, whether current medical students, past interviewees, or their sister's ex-boyfriend's cousin said "...."

Case is an awesome school. Very similar to Pitt in some respects:
ranking, organ based, PBL, p/f. Case has somewhat better teaching hospitals- UH and Cleveland Clinic. What's more, Case looks very favorably upon applicants with large wingspans.

I've got to agree with Octo. Case is awesome. I am acquainted with 2 of the docs that teach there, and they are two of the coolest, most impressive people I know. It's my first chioce (read: some bias) but I think it's up there with the best. Also, they pretty much invented PBL.

Good luck, and Let us know how the interview goes!!

PS - Cleveland aint so bad. You could do much worse. PM me if you want ideas for places to go/eat/etc. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've been reading on the web it seems awfully nice; I'm looking forward to seeing it. Their class doesn't seem terribly diverse, though; lots of CWRU undergrad and even more Ohio residents.

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
What's more, Case looks very favorably upon applicants with large wingspans.

Are you trying to imply that they like tall folk? Someone was telling me that I think Haverford undergrad likes really short males. Like apparently they have a line, and if you're over it, you don't get in. ;) At least that was her take on the situation.

-RA

Originally posted by Random Access
Are you trying to imply that they like tall folk? Someone was telling me that I think Haverford undergrad likes really short males. Like apparently they have a line, and if you're over it, you don't get in. ;) At least that was her take on the situation.

-RA

:laugh:

A friend of mine who went to Bryn Mawr always talked about 'Havermen' being very short. I thought she was just kidding!!

what sort price increase for case can we expect? It's already toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooexpensive !@

I'll be at case nest monday too.!!!

You're lookin at tuition to be at least around 35 grand. CWRU is a very good school, but...very expensive. One of the reasons I'm not staying (I went to CWRU undergrad), plus the fact that I want to explore something new. A lot of the CWRU SOM undergrads were in the pre-professional program, so were guaranteed a spot in the med school upon entering undergrad. I have quite a few friends at CWRU SOM....all of them from families able to afford it. The "money is not an issue" type. If only all of us were so lucky!

Well, it's not significantly more or less expensive than the rest of the private medical schools. For those of us who only have one state medical school our lists are full of schools that will be $30k for tuition costs alone.

And, my state school, OHSU, is still $18k for in-state, so it's cheaper, but not so cheap that it makes any decisions between programs/curricula/impressions etc. more clear-cut.

And, my state school, OHSU, is still $18k for in-state, so it's cheaper, but not so cheap that it makes any decisions between programs/curricula/impressions etc. more clear-cut.

But you would save $70,000 by going to your state school. That's a ton of money.

Is anyone else still experiencing an extremely LONG lag for the CWRUSOM status page? I submitted my letters 3 weeks ago, and my application had yet to show up complete on the status page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck with your interview... we look forward to seeing you also! One thing you will note is that next monday, both the first years and second years have interim exams in the morning so you may see some stressed students... normally we are a little more relaxed!

The school is required to admit 60% of the class as Ohio residents since we receive funding from the state of Ohio. Additionally, there are many pre-professional scholars students here. There is a decent population of URM students are here, although the Latino population is fairly small.

Cleveland is okay. There are things to do if you look, much like many other medium to large midwestern cities, it was very industrial and has undergone some urban renewal to bring nightlife and business back to the city center. Chicago or New York, it is not. You will appreciate having a car here as public transportation is not perfect. Cost of living is reasonable compared to Chicago, Detroit, Ann Arbor, most east coast cities. Our faculty is approachable, our curriculum is solid, and allows room for exploration of personal interests. There are many resources available to students, like school-paid tutoring. I find the environment to be supportive and collaborative for the most part. Our professors are approachable and seem to want to teach, although we have a few not-so-great lecturers also (all schools have the occasional brilliant researcher who can't teach for anything...) We also get a decent amount of early patient contact.

Our teaching hospital situation is currently in flux. We do not regularly rotate through Cleveland Clinic as a previous poster stated. University Hospitals, Metrohealth Medical Center, and the Cleveland VA are our primary sites as well as various ambulatory care centers in the Cleveland area, although we have elective available at CCF, and ObGyn rotations. We also used to rotate at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, although currently that relationship is questionable. The CCF and HFH relationships may change though.

Good Luck, have fun, and remember that Case interviews tend to be incredibly laid back... don't be nervous...

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to pm.

pcl
MSII
CWRU SOM

From what I've been reading on the web it seems awfully nice; I'm looking forward to seeing it. Their class doesn't seem terribly diverse, though; lots of CWRU undergrad and even more Ohio residents.

Is the Case secondary online or do they send materials? If they sent the materials...when do they do it? after MCAT scores are in (yes, I am an august MCATer:( ), or do they send after your application is verified by amcas?

thanks!!

Originally posted by Angel_Eyes
Is the Case secondary online or do they send materials? If they sent the materials...when do they do it? after MCAT scores are in (yes, I am an august MCATer:( ), or do they send after your application is verified by amcas?

thanks!!

Actually both. You get an online and then a paper (same stuff to fill out.) Some people got the paper immediately after the online but for others (myslef included) the paper lagged behind by almost a month.

I'm not sure what an Aug MCAT will do to the timing...

Hope this helps!

i'm an august mcat'er too and i just received the 2ndary from case. i sent in amcas last week.

Case has high tuition, but they offer a significant number of $15-20K/year merit scholarships, and decent need based financial aid. Cost of living is less too. I almost went there (with a scholarship) and am saving only about 3K/year by going to my state school.

There did seem to be a lot of midwesterners there, and diversity (from a Californian perspective) seemed to be mostly about balancing blacks with whites, which seemed to reflect Cleveland in general, but all the people are really friendly, and it seemed like a great learning environment. I was surprised how politically liberal the school and area is.

Case is the best!!:clap: It's my dream school. Good luck at ur interview and bring us back some juice!

xaelia, how did it go?!?! :)

I loved case!!! The faculty is super nice. The pass/fail system sounds good. The only bad thing is cleveland. I got a feeling that cleveland is very segregated

Originally posted by Zoobaby
xaelia, how did it go?!?! :)

A very, very nice school. Everyone was quite friendly, they seemed relieved not to be competing against each other for a change with the truly pass/fail coursework, there were great opportunities for dual degrees, the facilities seemed awfully new, the courseload seemed more than managable, and they have great integration of information resources with their curriculum (and free laptops with wireless internet to boot).

Of the three I've been to, Vanderbilt and Pitt the other two, I would have a very difficult time choosing between Case and Vandy, with Pitt just behind. They all have a very similar level of appeal....

And, heh, I guess I also met Ni1980 though I avoid the predetermined "SDN Hookups" like the plague....she was very nice, too. ;)

Did you guys post interview feedback??? ;)

Lovin it at Case.
Actually saw a couple of interviewees today, running across the room.
Wondering when they'll let us be tour guides!! ;)

Originally posted by Resident Alien
Wondering when they'll let us be tour guides!! ;)

Go tell Ellen / Marlene you want to be a tour guide... they are happy when they find new helpers...

hope biochem went well.

:)

SWEET!! Just got the invite.

SOOOOOOOOO excited. :)