Case Western Reserve School of Medicine...thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CytochromeP450

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know much about Case SOM and their new PBL (?) med school cirr. based around public health? I looked at the website already and the info is so-so, would really like input from people who actually go to Case SOM or interviewed there recently. Thanks-a-bunch. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Umm, what exactly are your questions? By the way, the curriculum is case-based not problem-based i.e. you're given the diagnosis, you just need to research what it means, how it's treated, etc.

Umm, what exactly are your questions? By the way, the curriculum is case-based not problem-based i.e. you're given the diagnosis, you just need to research what it means, how it's treated, etc.

For some reason, I aways thought they meant the same thing. Anyway, I would just like some perspectives on the school (i.e. curriculum, grading, match list, living in Ohio, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)

i want to pet the bunnieeeee, *pets, forget med school going to go breed bunnies

For some reason, I aways thought they meant the same thing. Anyway, I would just like some perspectives on the school (i.e. curriculum, grading, match list, living in Ohio, etc.).
lol, this could be a very long conversation. I'll start short & you can flesh it out w/ further questions if you want. Starting with the easy quick things...

Grading - pure P/F, no ranking. An essay per week (short answers, your choice out of 2 topics, not graded but reviewed by your small group facilitator). Tests every 3 months. Pretty much as relaxed of a system as you could get in med school (w/ maybe the exception of yale or something).

Match List - umm...I've always been told it's good, tons of folks in rads, derm, etc. I'm not planning on going into those specialties, but there's plenty of folks going into the specialties I'm interested in. Long story short, I don't worry about our reputation or our match list, every one I've spoken to from current students to residents to physicians knows and respects Case.

Living in Cleveland - the last thing my student interviewer at Case told me, as I pestered him with questions about cleveland, was "PLEASE do not choose not to come here because of cleveland; trust me that it's really not that bad, you'll be totally fine." In the end I listened to his advice and I'm glad I did since I'm finding that I actually like cleveland. It's a small city, so yes, it's annoying that there aren't many restaurants open after 10/11pm...but it's easy to get around, it's diverse, cheap!, there are good restaurants, it's actually a very green pretty city once you're outside of the inner city, more than enough to do given your time constraints.The weather's even been pretty decent this year,which is often what freaks people out the most regarding coming to cleveland. From talking to fourth years, they say that everyone always says they're "definitely" leaving cleveland/ohio for residency when they first arrive, and then a huge proportion end up staying because it's a pretty decent city to live in and there's amazing clinical resources (i.e. all of our hospitals rock).

Curriculum - I saved this for the last b/c it could take a while, and now this is already so long... We're only in class from 8-12pm four days a week (thurs. off). It's 50% small group (case based) and 50% lecture or medium group (basically a smaller lecture that's potentially more interactive b/c it's a smaller group per lecturer/expert). The controversial part is small group (8-9 students + facilitator), so I'll talk about that but ask about another aspect if you want. Small group is def. an adjustment for everyone...it's a different way of learning and forces you to do a lot more active work (looking up the pathophysiology of a disease, its treatment, the underlying normal physiology, etc.) as opposed to passively memorizing a syllabus. Small group forces you to work as a group, teach & learn from eachother, learn to use the online databases that clinicians use to find info., etc. Basically, small group has its cons - it can be frustrating either b/c you're annoyed w/ your group or just annoyed b/c you feel you're doing a lot of work on your own as opposed to getting a nice easy lecture or because sometimes you hit on things in small group that you haven't hit in lecture yet so you're lacking a foundation. It also has its pros - you learn the material better from all the active learning (both your research and sharing it w/ your group), you become an expert at using the online medical/diagnostic databases that clinicians use EVERY day, you become comfy working in teams which is how a lot of medicine is practiced today, and most importantly you become comfy looking up material you have to know and teaching yourself which is how the rest of your medical career (residency + post) will be. There is a minority group in my class who hate small group but most ppl I know have either always liked it or have eventually realized that it is working for them. It's a basic pro/con equation, if the "pros" of small group don't do anything for you, the cons will be paramount for you. If the pros work for you - if you feel you are learning better and are learning long-term skills, then the cons won't amount to more than the occasional bitch session with your friends. I'll stop there b/c this is a book, but feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Awesome post goongirl - makes me happy I mailed my LOI to Dr. Mehta today :)

Thanks for the THROUGH input on Case SOM...I really appreciate it :) :D :thumbup:

goongirl, wow thank you for such a detailed response!

It would be great if we had more med schools evals like this.

Thanks for your comments, Goongirl. The only thing I have been concerned about is Cleveland and you are reassuring.

That was some great information about Case goongirl! The only thing concerns me is that you only have tests every three months. Does that mean you only have three tests a year. It seems like there would be an awful lot of material that would be tested on each tests. Basically a third of the material you learn each year will be placed on one test?

perhaps I'm missing something...?

my thoughts on case are reserved, get iT!!#@@$##@ :sleep: :sleep: :eek: :sleep:

Cleveland isn't all that bad. There are a LOT of nooks and crannies to explore if you are adventuresome and have the time. Take it from a california boy, anyone can adapt to this city. Sure, it is a small city, but it is still considered a "major" city. But cheap enough to seem like a small town. Big enough to be continental's hub at least.. damn them and their stranglehold on the airport.

In any case (hah), considering that from the class of 2008 and on, 70% of the class is non ohio residents, its not suprising that most people want to leave ohio for residency - I would say that opinion is more reflective of origins of the student body. Inevitably, students remain because of the stellar clinical programs at our great hospitals - as was stated by the ms2(1?) above.

Cleveland isn't all that bad. There are a LOT of nooks and crannies to explore if you are adventuresome and have the time. Take it from a california boy, anyone can adapt to this city. Sure, it is a small city, but it is still considered a "major" city. But cheap enough to seem like a small town. Big enough to be continental's hub at least.. damn them and their stranglehold on the airport.

In any case (hah), considering that from the class of 2008 and on, 70% of the class is non ohio residents, its not suprising that most people want to leave ohio for residency - I would say that opinion is more reflective of origins of the student body. Inevitably, students remain because of the stellar clinical programs at our great hospitals - as was stated by the ms2(1?) above.

So based on the match list, it seems many students remain in Ohio or somewhere in the midwest to do residency. Can we assume it is becuase the majority of students currently at Case are Ohio residents?

630670 - It works out to be 2 exams per semester 1st year (block 1 is short), and then another 2 exams during the six months of 2nd year. I also didn't understand how we could be tested on so much material and thought it'd be impossible. But somehow believe me that even though it's a lot, it's very do-able. Our exams are concept based rather than minutia-based and in general you'll find towards the end of a block that you really did learn a lot of it the first time through so a lot of it is just about reviewing (over and over...except for something like biochem, but even then they make it easier - we didn't have to know structures or entire pathways, just major steps, regulation, start/end products, etc.). I know there's no way to convince you, and it's still quite possible you could come here and not do as well as you'd like...but that's true of every med school. =)

AIRMJ4 - I've heard two reasons given for why a lot of the 4th years stayed in ohio/midwest. One is like you said, that they're the last class (I think) where 70% of them were from ohio. Second, that all the people staying in cleveland specifically are a sign that the various case-affiliated residencies & hospitals are great and everyone doesn't just want to get the hell out of dodge. I have no idea what the truth is but those are the two reasons I've heard from administration and other students.

thanks for clarifying goongirl

I wanted to add an example that I'd forgotten about last night...this year, 3 case students matched to orthopedics at the cleveland clinic. The clinic only has 5-6 ortho spots for the nation - so half of them are going to case students, which is pretty cool.

So based on the match list, it seems many students remain in Ohio or somewhere in the midwest to do residency. Can we assume it is becuase the majority of students currently at Case are Ohio residents?
I think exmike is right about that. Most of the people in my class (CCLCM c/o 2011) are not from Ohio. Not only do most of my classmates come from other states, we have a lot of international students too. Probably when the underclassmen start matching in a couple of years, fewer of us will stay in Ohio.

Hey, do you guys know what the chaces of getting accepted after being put on the waitlist are? I was put on hold since december and in april was moved to the waitlist. I heard some people that were on hold were actually rejected afterwards, but does anyone know from previous years how many people come from the waitlist? percentage wise how many gets in form the waitlist?