Case Western Reserve University (2020-2021) - Master's in Medical Physiology Program (MSMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onibini

Reaction score
Starting a thread for this year! Did anyone else apply for the program this year?

If you were/are currently part of the program, can you please share your experience? What kind of resources would you say helped you prepare for your entry to medical school or any other health professional schools? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Starting a thread for this year! Did anyone else apply for the program this year?

If you were/are currently part of the program, can you please share your experience? What kind of resources would you say helped you prepare for your entry to medical school or any other health professional schools? Thank you!

hi!! I applied as well. I was accepted and am deciding between this program and BU MAMS

Would love to hear from current students/alumni as well!! My question would be what made you choose this program over others?

I got accepted today! Still waiting on other schools, but I would like to learn more about personal experiences with the program!

Applied 4/18
Acceptance 5/1

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I've been accepted this program as well as Rutger's Medical Scholars. Still waiting on BU MAMS. If anyone has insight on other programs, please let me/us know in the thread!

Hey guys! Those of you that were accepted, could you please share stats and whether you took the GRE/MCAT? I know the test requirements were cancelled but I’ve already purchased a GRE spot so I’m riding it out at this point, I think it should make my app stronger to balance out a lower GPA, just hate waiting for a decision when I’ve had the app submitted for a while now.

Hi recent CWRU MSMP grad here!

If you were/are currently part of the program, can you please share your experience?
Loved it. Study groups = key to your success. Share your material and help others. I gained a lot out of the program personally. It improved my MCAT score by a lot and allowed me to reinvent my studying habits which def prepared me for med school. Because I was doing the program in-person, I was able to volunteer at the Cleveland Clinic, did all my shadowing there, and scribe there as well during the school year. (They advise against any extracurriculars the first year but I was doing well enough so I decided to pursue some.)

What kind of resources would you say helped you prepare for your entry to medical school or any other health professional schools?

For the MCAT, I religiously used AAMC materials and ExamKrackers.

@eggsan I chose CWRU MSMP over BU-MAMS because living conditions seemed more affordable in Cleveland, more access to renowned hospitals (Cle Clinic, UH), no thesis required, (personally felt like CWRU had a more personable vibe than BU). But I hope you make the best choice for you!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi recent CWRU MSMP grad here!

If you were/are currently part of the program, can you please share your experience?
Loved it. Study groups = key to your success. Share your material and help others. I gained a lot out of the program personally. It improved my MCAT score by a lot and allowed me to reinvent my studying habits which def prepared me for med school. Because I was doing the program in-person, I was able to volunteer at the Cleveland Clinic, did all my shadowing there, and scribe there as well during the school year. (They advise against any extracurriculars the first year but I was doing well enough so I decided to pursue some.)

What kind of resources would you say helped you prepare for your entry to medical school or any other health professional schools?

For the MCAT, I religiously used AAMC materials and ExamKrackers.

@eggsan I chose CWRU MSMP over BU-MAMS because living conditions seemed more affordable in Cleveland, more access to renowned hospitals (Cle Clinic, UH), no thesis required, (personally felt like CWRU had a more personable vibe than BU). But I hope you make the best choice for you!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much for your response! What are you currently doing now after graduating if you don't mind me asking. Also had another quick question too, what is the area of Cleveland like? And can you elaborate on what you mean by "personal vibe"?

Thank you so much for your response! What are you currently doing now after graduating if you don't mind me asking. Also had another quick question too, what is the area of Cleveland like? And can you elaborate on what you mean by "personal vibe"?

In med school (MD program). Cleveland is not the most exciting place but you’ll be too busy studying to notice haha. It does get pretty cold in the winters so be prepared. There aren’t really any affordable/decent grocery stores on campus so I lived on Instacart and friends who had cars. By personal vibe, I mean the faculty specifically. My advisor was incredibly helpful and gave me really great advice since she was on the admission committee for CWRU med school. The program has a linkage with CWRU med in the sense that if you have a certain gpa (both undergrad and grad) and a certain MCAT score then you are guaranteed an interview with them. You can DM me also if you’d like!

I was accepted into the program and was hoping anyone can share their experiences with me? I have not taken the MCAT yet and wanted to know if anyone studied for the MCAT while in this program.

Thanks!

Its basically impossible to study for it during your first year so I studied for it during the summer after (and after the comprehensive exam). But your first year classes is essentially the entire biology portion of the mcat so it does make studying a little easier.

Does anyone know how doable it is to finish the program on the 12-month track? I'd like to finish within a year and I'd love some feedback on how manageable it is under that time frame.

Does anyone know if the program will be online or in person this upcoming fall ?

@StayClassy22 There is an online option, but for those who have opted for the in-person classes, they have told us that classes will be in-person up to Thanksgiving Break and remote for the rest of the Fall semester. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much that helped out a lot. Is there a Group Me for this upcoming class ? I am apart of one of the Facebook groups (not sure if there is more for this class) but there really isn't discussion on the upcoming semester and I was wondering where I would be able to get vital information on this

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I just got an acceptance email :) but my third recommender has not submitted his LOR for me and my portal hasn't updated. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I want to make sure this isn't a mistake. :lol:

Hi everyone! I just got an acceptance email :) but my third recommender has not submitted his LOR for me and my portal hasn't updated. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I want to make sure this isn't a mistake. :lol:

when i applied 2 years ago, i only had 1 LOR in when I got accepted haha

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
hey guys, I received the first acceptance letter yesterday. I’m looking online for answers to some questions.
1. Does anyone complete this in 1 year?
2.How are you aspected to matriculate I go medical school the following year? Are t you suppose to apply a year before ?

3. does this program offer Conditional interview for their medical school?

1. Yes, people have finished it in one year - but it is very VERY difficult to do so
2. You have to apply in the summer before the start of your second year in order to matriculate right after the completion of the program
3. Yes, but only if you have 3.4+ uGPA, 3.7+ gGPA and 514+ mcat score

hey guys, I received the first acceptance letter yesterday. I’m looking online for answers to some questions.
1. Does anyone complete this in 1 year?
2.How are you aspected to matriculate I go medical school the following year? Are t you suppose to apply a year before ?

3. does this program offer Conditional interview for their medical school?

Hello,

For those of you who've applied to medical school, do you know if the clinical reasoning/applied medical physiology courses count towards science gpa?

Hello,

For those of you who've applied to medical school, do you know if the clinical reasoning/applied medical physiology courses count towards science gpa?
Recent graduate here. Yes, all of them count, including the seminar course (I think it is still graded?).

How many semesters did you all take to complete the curriculum? And how many classes did you take each semester? Also, was the guaranteed interview linkage helpful? Thanks

How many semesters did you all take to complete the curriculum? And how many classes did you take each semester? Also, was the guaranteed interview linkage helpful? Thanks
I used 5 to fully utilize my free course allowance (you can take 8 courses for free during your entire career at Case), but you can take 3 or 4 if you don't need to raise your GPA. Didn't get the guaranteed interview (if you meet the undergrad GPA requirement you shouldn't be in this program) so idk about that.

I used 4
Took all the core courses the first year
Finished my electives to reach the minimum 30 credits needed to graduate
Did not qualify for guaranteed interview due to lower mcat score (514 was needed when I did this program)

@StayClassy22 There is an online option, but for those who have opted for the in-person classes, they have told us that classes will be in-person up to Thanksgiving Break and remote for the rest of the Fall semester. Hope that helps!
Hey there ! if that’s the case what about the spring semester ?

1. Yes, people have finished it in one year - but it is very VERY difficult to do so
2. You have to apply in the summer before the start of your second year in order to matriculate right after the completion of the program
3. Yes, but only if you have 3.4+ uGPA, 3.7+ gGPA and 514+ mcat score
Thanks for this information. Can you tell me more about the process after submitting a primary application? When is the interview, if invited? How many MSMP students matriculate each year? Anything else you can share? Any recent changes to the program? Thanks