Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think they'd apply this discount to an iphone?

Members don't see this ad.

notebook prices will be up by noon today (c/o casemedIT twitter feed)

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a macbook for me! :D

The MacBook Pro clocks in at just under what I was willing to pay for it, so I'll be going that route. :)

I wonder if the macs will be more heavily represented this year, or if the higher pricepoint will be a huge selling point for the lower-priced dells. :)

Aaaand they're up

http://casemed.case.edu/admin_computing/student_services/class2013/notebooks.cfm

Not a bad deal, but not quite as good on the MacBook Pro as I'd hoped. I speced out the same machine via the Apple Education store and it cost $2,465.90, vs. the $2,380.85 via Case. But the big difference is Apple isn't currently running the free iPod promo for student purchases (although it's a fair assumption that they'll run it again this year). So about $85 cheaper than buying it direct. With all their fanfare, I'd hoped for a better deal than that, but hey, $85 is $85.

I wonder if the macs will be more heavily represented this year, or if the higher pricepoint will be a huge selling point for the lower-priced dells. :)

Well, I already have a macbook pro at home, so I'm thinking of going for just the macbook, which isn't much more than the dells (especially considering the free ipod). I'm looking online for reviews of the macbooks and/ or dells, though... if anyone finds anything interesting, please post.

Well, I already have a macbook pro at home, so I'm thinking of going for just the macbook, which isn't much more than the dells (especially considering the free ipod). I'm looking online for reviews of the macbooks and/ or dells, though... if anyone finds anything interesting, please post.

This guy seems to have assembled quite a few reputable reviews of the 13" unibody macbook, but they may be from last year, so keep the spec table handy for comparison.:thumbup:

sirius08,

If you already have a comparable macbook at home you might be able to swing a deal so that you don't have to buy a new one. Worth asking about.

sirius08,

If you already have a comparable macbook at home you might be able to swing a deal so that you don't have to buy a new one. Worth asking about.

A capital idea!:thumbup:

Hear anything about upgrading to iPhone?

Those prices seem a little whack to me. From what I can tell the main difference between the macbook and the macbook pro is slightly faster processor, slightly bigger HD and a bigger screen. Does that justify a 46% increase in price? Am I missing something.

Don't get me wrong, I want a good starcraft machine, but that seems a little ridiculous. I might just get the macbook and get the big HD (since we're going to be running windows as well, I think it makes sense).

I emailed david about the iphone, I'll let you know if/when I hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
This guy seems to have assembled quite a few reputable reviews of the 13" unibody macbook, but they may be from last year, so keep the spec table handy for comparison.:thumbup:

thanks myuu!

sirius08,

yeah, thanks for the suggestion! i think i read that the 2008 models wouldn't be sufficient... i don't really mind investing in a "work-only" computer, though, and the macbook is also a bit lighter than the macbook pro, which is a plus for me.

i don't know about the rest of you, but all of this fascination with new toys almost helps me forget the staggering debt i'm about to take on! :p

Those prices seem a little whack to me. From what I can tell the main difference between the macbook and the macbook pro is slightly faster processor, slightly bigger HD and a bigger screen. Does that justify a 46% increase in price? Am I missing something.

Don't get me wrong, I want a good starcraft machine, but that seems a little ridiculous. I might just get the macbook and get the big HD (since we're going to be running windows as well, I think it makes sense).

I emailed david about the iphone, I'll let you know if/when I hear back.

Hmmm! Looks like you're paying for the extra speed and the extra video card.

(Will come back and format this into legibility later. Alternatively, you may reference the spec pages http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html and http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html )

15" MacBook Pro:
15-inch, 2.4GHz MacBook Pro

(MB470LL/A)
Enclosure Precision aluminum unibody
Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 cache 3MB shared
System bus 1066MHz
Memory 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 4GB
Hard drive 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
Graphics memory 256MB GDDR3
Video Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately)
Display 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
Expansion Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out
Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification)2; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
Hardware accessories 60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

13" 2.0GHz MacBook
(MB466LL/A)

Enclosure Precision aluminum unibody
Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 cache 3MB shared
System bus 1066MHz
Memory 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500); supports up to 4GB
Hard drive 160GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
Video Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately)
Display 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
USB Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps) (Myuu's note: No firewire on this machine, not that most are likely to use it...!)
Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out
Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification)2; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
Hardware accessories 60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

Last edited:
The bigger display for the macbook pro is another significant difference from the macbook.

thanks myuu!

i don't know about the rest of you, but all of this fascination with new toys almost helps me forget the staggering debt i'm about to take on! :p

if anything it's making me more aware of it :(

Anyone have any debt strategies?

I think I'm going to take the maximum first semester, but then set a frugal budget and monitor it. Once I figure out reasonable living expenses for a month I'll try to return what I can, and pay off the interest on my unsubbed loans while I'm in school. I'll keep 3 months living expenses as a reserve. that's my plan...

I think I'm going to take the maximum first semester, but then set a frugal budget and monitor it. Once I figure out reasonable living expenses for a month I'll try to return what I can, and pay off the interest on my unsubbed loans while I'm in school. I'll keep 3 months living expenses as a reserve. that's my plan...

i'm going to do the same thing with the loans... try to only take as much as i need. i also have unsubsidized loans from grad school, so i might try to pay the interest on those, too. other than that, i'm just planning to live frugally, cook a lot of my food, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the touch Ipod, but only 8 GB? Those ipods can do all kinds of things--movies, music, apps, etc. I'm not a technology guy by any means, but that doesn't seem like much memory.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the touch Ipod, but only 8 GB? Those ipods can do all kinds of things--movies, music, apps, etc. I'm not a technology guy by any means, but that doesn't seem like much memory.

It isn't, but for most people it's plenty. I mostly use my hard drives for media storage and then only carry a few non-music items on my iPod at a time.:thumbup:

Heard back from David.

He updated the faq

http://casemed.case.edu/admin_computing/student_services/class2013/faq.cfm

it includes a comparison between the macbook and the macbook pro. Long story short, I think the macbook will be fine for our needs.

He also said that there aren't any upgrades from the touch to the iphone but that apple does have a deal for those looking to get an iphone. He said he'd offer more info when you get there :)

i emailed David regarding engraving the ipods and this is what he said:

"

I agree it is a bit outlandish. But, I asked Apple anyhow. They said it might be possible. We would have to come up with what would be engraved on the back. Give me some exact suggestions. I'll discuss it with the president of the Committee of Student Representatives. I don't know if all iPods will have the exact same engraving or if all or some can be customized. I will check into it further. If you don't hear back from me by the middle of next week, send me a reminder.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Thanks,
"

so lets come up with suggestions

here's my spciffic suggestion:

"CWRU MED Class of 2013"

the review linked to in the faq said:
If you've ever sat there watching a Windows person pushing your MacBook display past its rotation point, you'll recognize just how important this update will be.

Noooooooooooooooooes! MAKE IT STOOOOOOO--ooh, upgrades!

i emailed David regarding engraving the ipods and this is what he said:

"

I agree it is a bit outlandish. But, I asked Apple anyhow. They said it might be possible. We would have to come up with what would be engraved on the back. Give me some exact suggestions. I'll discuss it with the president of the Committee of Student Representatives. I don't know if all iPods will have the exact same engraving or if all or some can be customized. I will check into it further. If you don't hear back from me by the middle of next week, send me a reminder.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Thanks,
"

so lets come up with suggestions

here's my spciffic suggestion:

"CWRU MED Class of 2013"

We've got two lines of 23ch each to play with. Let's see what we can do! :)

I propose the following!

Line 1: CWRU School of Medicine
Line 2: Class of 2013

Not terribly creative, I know.

We've got two lines of 23ch each to play with. Let's see what we can do! :)

I propose the following!

Line 2: Class of 2013

Not terribly creative, I know.

check out this website, http://www.case.edu/its/archives/symbols/seals.htm it has a history of CWRU seals and stuff. what you notice is that the theme of 'light' or the rising sun is prominent in the past and in the current logo. i cant find a latin motto for the current logo, but in the past the latin 'lux' which means 'light' has been used. maybe we should incorporate it. so here is my modification of Myuu's suggestion:

Line 2: Class of 2013 ~ Lux

or

Line 1: CWRU SOM Class of 2013
Line 2: LUX

of if somebody could translate 'the rising sun' top latin that would be cool. i dont know anything about latin. if we could translate 'the rising sun, then i would recommend:

Line 2: 'the rising sun' (which would be in latin)

tell me what you think

http://casemed.case.edu/admin_computing/student_services/class2013/faq.cfm

it includes a comparison between the macbook and the macbook pro. Long story short, I think the macbook will be fine for our needs.

Thanks for posting this! The macbook dual review is very helpful. One feature I'm not thrilled about with the macbook, though, is the glossy screen (my macbook pro has a matte display). To compare:

macbook - far superior operating system (in my experience)
dell - better display, better technical support

Hmm.

check out this website, http://www.case.edu/its/archives/symbols/seals.htm it has a history of CWRU seals and stuff. what you notice is that the theme of 'light' or the rising sun is prominent in the past and in the current logo. i cant find a latin motto for the current logo, but in the past the latin 'lux' which means 'light' has been used. maybe we should incorporate it. so here is my modification of Myuu's suggestion:

Line 2: Class of 2013 ~ Lux

or

Line 2: LUX

of if somebody could translate 'the rising sun' top latin that would be cool. i dont know anything about latin. if we could translate 'the rising sun, then i would recommend:

Line 2: 'the rising sun' (which would be in latin)

tell me what you think

Of course, we could also consider a logo for the CWRU School of Medicine (rather than the University in general). I tried to attach one here, let's see if it works...

Edit: I realize that we probably can't engrave a logo... just brainstorming.

Attachments

• Placeholder.jpg
    Placeholder.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for posting this! The macbook dual review is very helpful. One feature I'm not thrilled about with the macbook, though, is the glossy screen (my macbook pro has a matte display). To compare:

macbook - far superior operating system (in my experience)
dell - better display, better technical support

Hmm.

A word of warning about that review: the MacBook being offered by Case does not have the same specifications as the one in the article.

Of course, we could also consider a logo for the CWRU School of Medicine (rather than the University in general). I tried to attach one here, let's see if it works...

Edit: I realize that we probably can't engrave a logo... just brainstorming.

Yeah, I wish. T_T

Supposedly, a long while back they said that sandblasting the back of iPods in order to generate images did not void your warranty, but I don't think anybody's willing to try...

A word of warning about that review: the MacBook being offered by Case does not have the same specifications as the one in the article.

Good point, but I don't think that the matte display is an option for any of the current macbooks. Sigh.

On a different note, my financial aid award email said to wait for further instructions (to be emailed after May 1) before returning the signed award letter. Has anyone received this instructional email? Also, I did the online entrance counseling, but didn't see anything about choosing a lender. Maybe that information is also forthcoming?

On a different note, my financial aid award email said to wait for further instructions (to be emailed after May 1) before returning the signed award letter. Has anyone received this instructional email? Also, I did the online entrance counseling, but didn't see anything about choosing a lender. Maybe that information is also forthcoming?

I talked to Jesse about that and she said that we all need to wait for the "instructional email" before returning the signed letter. Basically she told me to sit tight until that second email comes.

I talked to Jesse about that and she said that we all need to wait for the "instructional email" before returning the signed letter. Basically she told me to sit tight until that second email comes.

Okay, thanks! :thumbup:

anyone else one of those still in undergrad? graduation next week for me!

anyone else one of those still in undergrad? graduation next week for me!

i just finished my last exam last week. my convocation (i.e. the part where i waste 2 hours sitting there, while they call our names and we walk up all awkward to get out degre) is in june.

i just finished my last exam last week. my convocation (i.e. the part where i waste 2 hours sitting there, while they call our names and we walk up all awkward to get out degre) is in june.

nice! must feel good to be done :)

my finals are next week and my ceremony is next saturday. it will last ~4 hours :cool:

CaseMED_IT twitter feed says that the laptop ordering page is nearly usable.:thumbup:

Cannot wait to start school.

Who's with me???

Me! Although I might be a little more excited to find an apartment first. :D

Srsly. I graduated from college years ago, so I'm raring to go.

Me too... let's just say that I finished grad school almost 10 years ago. I very well might be the oldest member of our class! :thumbup:

I, too, graduated college in the 20th century. At least I'll have someone I can listen to Tom Petty with.

(if any of you folks really don't know who Tom Petty is, please don't say anything, you might make me weep)

The good news is that I am totally pumped to start! Everyone is shocked and sad that our school starts in July, but I would start tomorrow if I could!

I, too, graduated college in the 20th century. At least I'll have someone I can listen to Tom Petty with.

(if any of you folks really don't know who Tom Petty is, please don't say anything, you might make me weep)

The good news is that I am totally pumped to start! Everyone is shocked and sad that our school starts in July, but I would start tomorrow if I could!

Hey, now! I know who Tom Petty is!

Cannot wait to start school.

Who's with me???

I feel the same way, I'm so glad Case starts in early July instead of the end of August. School can't start soon enough. I'm embarrassed to admit just how pumped I am to start medical school.