Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone else notice that its the same couple of people posting here? where is everybody else?:confused:

Living their perfectly healthy offline lives, I think.:laugh:

hey myuu, and anyone else who might know - did you get the sense that it would be easy to just come there and schedule appointments to see apartments? as in, could i just go one weekend and reasonably expect to find something within those couple of days?

thanks for any input! is everyone getting excited? 7 weeks!

It seems like it would be, but I would definitely call in advance.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

i'm super excited! i'm actually glad we start earlier than most

Hey myuu, thanks for all the help. I have another question about housing for everyone familiar with the area around case. I don't know which areas I should look for housing. I was accepted the week before second look weekend and was unable to attend, so I really don't know which areas around the school would be good. Also, I am in a little bit of a different situation as I am married, so we will be looking for an apartment located in a safe place where my wife and (future)son could spend some time outdoors. Which neighborhoods/areas do you recommend living in?
Also, we are trying to figure out how we are going to find a place. Would it be possible to just show up to cleveland and stay in a hotel for a few days while finding a place? (would that be enough time?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey myuu, thanks for all the help. I have another question about housing for everyone familiar with the area around case. I don't know which areas I should look for housing. I was accepted the week before second look weekend and was unable to attend, so I really don't know which areas around the school would be good. Also, I am in a little bit of a different situation as I am married, so we will be looking for an apartment located in a safe place where my wife and (future)son could spend some time outdoors. Which neighborhoods/areas do you recommend living in?
Also, we are trying to figure out how we are going to find a place. Would it be possible to just show up to cleveland and stay in a hotel for a few days while finding a place? (would that be enough time?)

to add to this, what neighbourhoods should people stay away from? i hear east cleveland is NOT a good place to live...cheap rent..but unsafe, and generally bad landlords. what other neighbourhoods should we stay away from?

to add to this, what neighbourhoods should people stay away from? i hear east cleveland is NOT a good place to live...cheap rent..but unsafe, and generally bad landlords. what other neighbourhoods should we stay away from?

East Cleveland is a disaster. Lots of metal bars and bulletproof windows. :eek:

The most popular ones seem to be Cleveland Heights, Little Italy, and Coventry.:thumbup:

i'm super excited! i'm actually glad we start earlier than most

Haha, you might not say that if you had just gotten in off the waitlist last week!

I mean, holy crap, life turned upside down!

Haha, you might not say that if you had just gotten in off the waitlist last week!

But in a totally awesome way. :hungover: Time to doubletime the apartment search efforts! Although, supposedly it doesn't take long at all to find housing. If you want Little Italy, though, move fast!

East Cleveland is a disaster. Lots of metal bars and bulletproof windows. :eek:

Watch the video above ;) "Don't slow down in East Cleveland or you'll die"

The most popular ones seem to be Cleveland Heights, Little Italy, and Coventry.:thumbup:

I'll second these. Also, if you look at the very bottom of your iApply status screen, there should be a section for materials from Second Look Weekend. There's 'Relocation Resources' which has a little, and 'Relocating to the CWRU Community' which has some basic info and two slides listing neighborhoods in East/West Cleveland where people commonly live.

Also check the Case wiki:

http://wiki.case.edu/Cleveland_Guide#Cleveland_Living

one other thing, since were only gonna be in cleveland for 10 months, do we have to get the full year leases?

one other thing, since were only gonna be in cleveland for 10 months, do we have to get the full year leases?

I'm sure there are landlords willing to work out a ten-month lease. The other alternative usually is that you can break a lease early if you can find someone to take it over for you (which admittedly may be harder in the Cleve than elsewhere).

But if you're going to be there for four years, why be worried about two months? I would imagine even people who are away for the summer months keep the same place, as the cost savings would be negated by moving and/or storage for just those few months...

Haha seriously, I was planning on traveling during July, now i have to rush to pull something off in june. That being said I'm really grateful to be here.

Haha seriously, I was planning on traveling during July, now i have to rush to pull something off in june. That being said I'm really grateful to be here.

Haha, try this on for size, I'm supposed to be on a cruise with my family from July 4 to July 9. I guess I'll just have to steal a launch and leave the boat early.

Does anyone actually see a 2013 Orientation entry in iapply? Because I totally don't...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone actually see a 2013 Orientation entry in iapply? Because I totally don't...

Well, Christian's email did say it will appear tomorrow, so... I don't think it's one of those things any of us can rush ;)

Well, Christian's email did say it will appear tomorrow, so... I don't think it's one of those things any of us can rush ;)

I knew I was illiterate! Good thing I didn't skip any grades. Can't imagine what kind of havoc that might've caused.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

So when's everyone moving in?:)

June 5th. Gotta get settled a little early to take care of some things. Already got my lease worked out.

June 15th..then I'm heading back June 30th for little bro's bday, then heading back for real July 1st...

I wish there was a smiley that could convey my excitement at typing those words..

Oh well, this :D will have to do

What lender are you guys going through? Does the school have a recommendation?

What lender are you guys going through? Does the school have a recommendation?

I went with citibank because I already have some loans with them and I'd rather only have to have one institution that I have to deal with for issues. Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if there are any risks for me if citibank goes bankrupt. I would still owe someone the money, I'm sure, but they might muck up the terms?

In other news did anyone else find the "budget" they make you do for the loans a little ridiculous? They ask you to estimate your income. Well, I won't *have* an income. Likewise estimating my expenses before I move to "the cleve" is ridiculous.

I still haven't found housing. think I'm going to try to visit in mid-june to get something.

In other news did anyone else find the "budget" they make you do for the loans a little ridiculous? They ask you to estimate your income. Well, I won't *have* an income. Likewise estimating my expenses before I move to "the cleve" is ridiculous.

I thought that question was ambiguously worded. After puzzling over it, I decided that the "income" in question was a future income that could support payback of the loans. In any case, I don't think it mattered at all - it seemed like it was intended just to get us thinking about financial planning for the future.

Did anyone try the calculator that tells you what your annual income will need to be to pay back your loans? It told me that I will need to make something like 400K if I want to pay back my loans in 10 years. :laugh:

On the Google Maps tip, if you're the type who likes or isn't scared by crime statistics, here's a map that plots crime reports on a map of the area:

http://www.spotcrime.com/oh/cleveland

...I think I'll stay out of East Cleveland.:hungover:

have any of you not had any luck finding a place or just got in off the waitlist and want to live with 2 1st year guys in a really nice place in cleveland heights? if so, send me a message and let me know

have any of you not had any luck finding a place or just got in off the waitlist and want to live with 2 1st year guys in a really nice place in cleveland heights? if so, send me a message and let me know

i got the place for you, im a first year and currently in an arrangement with 2 other guys, but i might back out. private message me, and ill give you their numbers to call. the other guys are first years

Just to clarify, the apartment is in Cleveland Heights. Here is the message I posted on the facebook group.

If any of you haven't found a place yet or just got in off the waitlist, two of us upcoming (male) 1st years found an awesome 3 bedroom place- it's a gigantic apartment that is part of a brownstone building... 1900 square feet, 2 bathrooms big and nice, huge dining and living rooms, washer and dryer in apt, study/office, granite kitchen counters, stove, dishwasher, lots of closet/pantry space, an outdoor sun deck, and optional covered parking.

The building(2100 Surrey) is very well maintained. One of the cleanest we saw and is managed by Zipkin Properties. Everything else we saw that was comparable was much more money and nowhere near as nice. The location is great- right next to the Cedar-Fairmount shopping district, a 10 min walk from coventry, and a 15 min walk from little italy and school. Feel free to give me a call at 732-236-6266, facebook me, or send me a private message so we can talk about it in more detail with pricing and stuff. The entire rent is 1200 a month, so you'd be looking at paying 350-400, which is cheap compared to many places in the area.

Feel free to get back to me ASAP. Thanks!

Super excited to meet all of you!! Instead of studying for finals (what are those?? :)) I've been reading SDN and the case webpages. Haven't even started looking for housing yet, so stressed about that! I wish there were dorms for the first year so we wouldn't have to think about it until we got used to the area!

hey all! just checking to see if anyone received any registration information yet (my last email said something about a may 22 target date for registering us all, but i'm guessing they're a bit behind schedule).

on another note, i was in cleveland last weekend looking at housing. there really seems to be lots of places available, with quite a range in quality. if you can't make it there for a few weeks, i wouldn't stress at all. i called a bunch of places on friday night (of a holiday weekend), and by saturday morning had about 6 appointments. altogether, i saw about 12 apartments in one day. i can only imagine that more will be opening up in june.

i haven't gotten any registration information yet

is tomorrow (thursday) the super strict deadline for returning the financial aid? i think the email was sent on the 18th, so the 28th would be 10 days...

oh and i emailed my t-shirt size, so i guess they know our societies but we still don't ;)

hey all! just checking to see if anyone received any registration information yet (my last email said something about a may 22 target date for registering us all, but i'm guessing they're a bit behind schedule).

on another note, i was in cleveland last weekend looking at housing. there really seems to be lots of places available, with quite a range in quality. if you can't make it there for a few weeks, i wouldn't stress at all. i called a bunch of places on friday night (of a holiday weekend), and by saturday morning had about 6 appointments. altogether, i saw about 12 apartments in one day. i can only imagine that more will be opening up in june.

Wow, nice! I haven't gotten anything about registration either. :cry:

i haven't gotten any registration information yet

is tomorrow (thursday) the super strict deadline for returning the financial aid? i think the email was sent on the 18th, so the 28th would be 10 days...

I sure hope it's not super strict... otherwise, it's off to FedEx!:scared:

Hey everyone!

Haven't posted here yet I think, I am super excited to start in ~1 month!

So... any guys out there still looking for a place to live... We have a 3 bedroom with an opening?

Email me @ [email protected] if interested!

-E

Hey everyone!

Haven't posted here yet I think, I am super excited to start in ~1 month!

So... any guys out there still looking for a place to live... We have a 3 bedroom with an opening?

Email me @ [email protected] if interested!

-E

Looks like you find roommates pretty fast! Looks like the space is already filled, sorry folks!

Woo first post in the class thread. Only about a month left!

I'm driving out next weekend to find housing. :scared:

Did people for the most part use the wikis? Anyone try craigslist? Or did y'all just drive around town?

Moving is such a pain! But I'm excited to start!

Craiglist is ok. mostly just driving around in specific areas worked for me. Such as little Italy and Cleveland heights. Idk about the wiki.

Can't wait to start! Orientation schedule starts July 9th right?

Woo first post in the class thread. Only about a month left!

I'm driving out next weekend to find housing. :scared:

Did people for the most part use the wikis? Anyone try craigslist? Or did y'all just drive around town?

Moving is such a pain! But I'm excited to start!

Why, hello there! :hello::laugh:

Craiglist is ok. mostly just driving around in specific areas worked for me. Such as little Italy and Cleveland heights. Idk about the wiki.

Can't wait to start! Orientation schedule starts July 9th right?

Indeed it does! :D

anyone else thinking of doing an MD/MS ? im moving along those lines, but im concerned about erosion of my clinical skills during 5th year. if my skills end up sucking after one year of not doing anything clinical, im gonna suck big time during first year of residency :scared:

anyone else thinking of doing an MD/MS ? im moving along those lines, but im concerned about erosion of my clinical skills during 5th year. if my skills end up sucking after one year of not doing anything clinical, im gonna suck big time during first year of residency :scared:

Which MS program were you thinking of doing? I'm pretty sure most programs with a fifth year stick it in between MSIII and MSIV, so you get a year to regain those clinical skills before you're a PGY-1. That would be a pretty rude awakening otherwise!

Yeah, I'm really interested in both the Applied Anatomy and Biomedical Engineering dual-degree programs. Hard to decide which because they both seem like a lot of fun. I'm probably going to meet with deans once we get started and discuss what both programs entail before making my decision.

It's also an option just to take the gross anatomy lab from the anatomy program without doing the full master's. That's really what I'm most interested in, so I may do that and do the engineering degree. I don't know, I'm so interested in all of it that I can't make up my mind. :)

Yeah, I'm really interested in both the Applied Anatomy and Biomedical Engineering dual-degree programs. Hard to decide which because they both seem like a lot of fun. I'm probably going to meet with deans once we get started and discuss what both programs entail before making my decision.

It's also an option just to take the gross anatomy lab from the anatomy program without doing the full master's. That's really what I'm most interested in, so I may do that and do the engineering degree. I don't know, I'm so interested in all of it that I can't make up my mind. :)

im considering the applied anatomy and the biomedical investigation myself. though im trying to find out more about thesis applied anatomy thing...what exactly can you do with that and who is it for? i mean, its not like groundbreaking research is being done in anatomy...maybe imaging...but otherwise i dunno.

and how do these masters programs work? do we graduate and then start out thesis year? or can we do out thesis year before we graduate, then do our clinical years so that we dont have erosion of clinical skills.

I'm also interested in AA but it's going to be a lot of work. From the M1s I talked to at 2nd look I think 30 people started the AA program and there were something like 4 that were still in it. :eek:

Does anyone know how the master's-level anatomy differs from the regular course? I've tried to find information about that, but have had no luck, and we didn't tour the anatomy lab on our interview day.

I'm also interested in AA but it's going to be a lot of work. From the M1s I talked to at 2nd look I think 30 people started the AA program and there were something like 4 that were still in it. :eek:

really? wow...i guess its probably cause its alot of lab work.

though im trying to find out more about thesis applied anatomy thing...what exactly can you do with that and who is it for?

From people I talked to, it seems to be a good option for people interested in surgery and other "anatomy heavy" specialties. I won't get into a discussion of which specialties are more/less heavy on anatomy, since they all require it to some degree. I don't know that it's as much geared toward doing it for the sake of research as much as it is to expand your knowledge and demonstrate a mastery of the subject. It also serves to get you much more hands-on experience with anatomy, no pun intended.

and how do these masters programs work? do we graduate and then start out thesis year? or can we do out thesis year before we graduate, then do our clinical years so that we dont have erosion of clinical skills.

Case is somewhat flexible on these, but not extremely. If you check the details they have online, you'll see. For AA, check http://www.cwru.edu/med/anatomy/graduateprograms.html and check the PDF in the left menu labeled 'Joint MD/MS.' It has a sample schedule on page two which shows you how you can plan things so that you complete the anatomy MS within four years.

http://bme.case.edu/current_students/grad/mdms.html for biomedical engineering, and http://casemed.case.edu/student_affairs/studentHandbook/Curriculum/Curr33.html for general info.

From what I hear, you don't have to take a year off to do your research or work for the MS portion of the program, but it's always an option. If we take a fifth year, to do research or a dual degree, we don't pay tuition for that year - just the miscellaneous registration fees. And I'm pretty sure we can take that year whenever - between MSII and MSIII would seem like the optimal time to me, but that's personal preference.

Does anyone know how the master's-level anatomy differs from the regular course? I've tried to find information about that, but have had no luck, and we didn't tour the anatomy lab on our interview day.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I've spoken to some people who have said it's an option to just take the gross lab from the anatomy program without having to do the full MS courseload. You'll take the same lab and do the same full cadaver dissection as those in the MD/MS program.

Hope this helps.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I've spoken to some people who have said it's an option to just take the gross lab from the anatomy program without having to do the full MS courseload. You'll take the same lab and do the same full cadaver dissection as those in the MD/MS program.

Hope this helps.

Okay, thanks. Somehow I got the idea that there was an anatomy course for the MS program that similar to, but more intensive than, that of the MD program.

Okay, thanks. Somehow I got the idea that there was an anatomy course for the MS program that similar to, but more intensive than, that of the MD program.

That's exactly correct, and that's a required class as part of the anatomy master's that you can opt to take as an MD student without having to take the full MS anatomy program. Sorry, I don't think I was clear about it. I've been up late packing boxes in prep for my move to The Cleve later this week. :)

The big difference being, as MD students, we don't do a full dissection - we do prosections instead. If you take the anatomy lab that is the class from the anatomy master's program, you do a full cadaver dissection. So yeah, there is an anatomy course for the MS program that's more intense than the regular MD anatomy lab.