Case Western secondary essay...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fusion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...on a subject outside of medicine which has been an area of great interest to you.

Two pages seems pretty long, and I don't have any particularly unusual hobbies (at least nothing that I could write two pages about). What did you write about that would help the Admissions Committee gain more insight into you as a person? Would an especially interesting personal anecdote be okay?

Members don't see this ad.

Fusion said:
...on a subject outside of medicine which has been an area of great interest to you.

Two pages seems pretty long, and I don't have any particularly unusual hobbies (at least nothing that I could write two pages about). What did you write about that would help the Admissions Committee gain more insight into you as a person? Would an especially interesting personal anecdote be okay?

i was thinking about that question also, and decided to write about a topic outside medicine *and* interrelate it with myself at the same time. this way, you're addressing both questions.

i wrote about my love of art and art history- i stayed fairly on topic explaining throughout my fascination with the fields and experiences around them.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did you guys wait before you got your secondary from Case? My AMCAS was processed on 8/20 and I haven't heard anything. Also, was it by email or snail mail?

Joplin3141 said:
How long did you guys wait before you got your secondary from Case? My AMCAS was processed on 8/20 and I haven't heard anything. Also, was it by email or snail mail?

hi, i got processed june 24 and i got the case secondary 8/10 via email. don't know why it took so long since they don't screen.

Joplin3141 said:

Case took forever...
Processed: 8/4
Rec'd 2ndary: 8/30

Fusion said:

I wrote about a previous job (not related to medicine) and how it helped to shape me as an individual...even though I have chosen to pursue a different career, it was a major influence in my personal development.

joy77 said:
I wrote about a previous job (not related to medicine) and how it helped to shape me as an individual...even though I have chosen to pursue a different career, it was a major influence in my personal development.

joy77, that's an interesting approach. I was thinking about writing on a "personal" thing outside medicine also, and how it influenced my personal development. But I thought they meant a current event topic outside medicine. I think you're right though. what do you think?

derf said:
joy77, that's an interesting approach. I was thinking about writing on a "personal" thing outside medicine also, and how it influenced my personal development. But I thought they meant a current event topic outside medicine. I think you're right though. what do you think?
I actually followed the same approach as joy77. Attending my partuicular undergrad school was a big goal for me from when i was youg. And my time here has definitely shaped my life because of some of the opportunities it has provided me. I used that framework to talk about some of the things I am passionate about, including playing football and irish history and culture. Whether this was acceptable, I am not sure, but it was all I could think of.

in an effort to recycle as many essays as possible, do you think the "subject" could be my life? in particular, my immigrant experience, which does fit the criteria of a topic that interests me...sorta detail a life story, my struggles, and how they've enriched me.

You essay doesn't have to be 2 pages long. Mine was only 3/4 of a page, single-spaced. Telling a compelling story is more important than length.

Be careful to not use the essay to explain why you want to go to medical school. I hear that it will get your application tossed because you didn't follow directions.

Taurus said:
You essay doesn't have to be 2 pages long. Mine was only 3/4 of a page, single-spaced. Telling a compelling story is more important than length.

Be careful to not use the essay to explain why you want to go to medical school. I hear that it will get your application tossed because you didn't follow directions.

Even though I didn't say specifically why I want to go into medicine, would it be possible to touch on life experiences (outside medicine) that will make me a better physician.