Case Western Secondary Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had this secondary for a while, and I'm finishing it since the MCAT is over.

"The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining insight into you as a person. Type or Copy and Paste a brief essay on a subject outside of medicine, which has been an area of great interest to you. Please limit your essay to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs."

I'm at a loss for what they want out of this essay. Do they want an academic paper I wrote for some class? Do they want me to write an essay about a subject I have "a great interest" in? I don't think there is any academic essay I have written under a page. So I guess I'll have to write up an essay about something. I'm not entirey sure what that subject will be yet, but does anyone have any suggestions? Just write about something I enjoy? Such as a hobby or something along those lines? A subject in the humanities I have studied? I guess it could be about biology too, but that would be a little too "pre-med."

Members don't see this ad.

There were a few other threads about this topic, so you may want to search to see what others have to say.

I think the general consensus is that you should write about a good essay about something that interests you, which can and probably should be completely unrelated to medicine. There's no reason why you can't use an essay that you wrote before (whether for a class, another application, etc.), but just make sure that it answers the prompt. I agree that you'd have a hard time finding a 1-page academic essay that you wrote at any point in the last 5 years. Keep in mind that it doesn't need to be an academic topic...hobbies, sports, humanities, people/family who impacted you significantly as a person...these are all fair game topics.

Good :luck:!