Case Western Secondary-Research essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweetledee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, one of the prompts for the Case Western secondary is:

"If you have had experience doing research or other scholarly work, please describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Please limit your response to 1 page(about 3,500 characters)."

I have two very different research experiences, both of which I have spent a lot of time on. My question is this: Should I discuss both in my essay or just one? If I discuss both, I probably won't be able to talk about either of them in as much detail as I would like, but then again, I would liketo bring both of these experiences to the forefront...what to do...I don't know :oops: If anyone has suggestions, I would love to know...thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I talked in-depth about the one I completed, which was a basic science independent study in undergrad. Then at the end I threw in a jab about my clinical research that's going on, just so they're aware I'm currently doing something else and opening up the door for them to ask about it if I get interviewed (I'd want to talk about in person more than the other one, anyway).

WholeLottaGame7 said:
I talked in-depth about the one I completed, which was a basic science independent study in undergrad. Then at the end I threw in a jab about my clinical research that's going on, just so they're aware I'm currently doing something else and opening up the door for them to ask about it if I get interviewed (I'd want to talk about in person more than the other one, anyway).

Thanks for the speedy response!! That's actually a good point. The research I'm doing now is also what I'd rather talk about in person in an interview :) :thumbup: Thanks for the advice! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I just pointed out that I was involved in a lot of research projects and was going to discuss the subject of the most recently published work. Then, I just went ahead and focused on the work involved toget that paper.

I have no research, no independent study whatsoever. How should I respond? Leaving it blank doesn't seem kosher.

NapeSpikes said:
I have no research, no independent study whatsoever. How should I respond? Leaving it blank doesn't seem kosher.

"If you have had experience doing research or other scholarly work"

I think that answers your question very well. ;)

leave it blank, it wont affected you adversely. they're just interested IF you have it, if not, no biggie. trust me on this one.

Does anyone know how strictly CWRU adheres to it's two week turnaround request?

btw, is anyone NOT uploading a pic, but sending a picture via snail mail instead?

I'm still working on this secondary and according to the two-week turnaround request, I'm supposed to submit it today at some point!!!! :eek:

Anyone else in the same situation? This is quite a secondary... :(

tweetledee said:

Not too strictly, I totally forgot about applying to cwru for 2 months last year after I submitted my primary and turned it in as my last secondary--I got an interview about a month after I turned it in.

I set my own 3 week turnaround for this one. I work 60-70 hrs/week and I'm under major pressure from the NIH on one of my studies right now, so the secondary has to wait. I'm not panicking about it....yet.

I've had three research expereinces. I think the question is testing you as to how well you can "break down" your research experience so that someone else not versed in your field can understand what u did and what u learned. I thought it would be helpful to show how one experience led me to puruse another one on a cellular/molecular level, talk about that experience in depth in terms of results and interpretation, and then talk about how that expereince led me to puruse my own independent project. As said before, i mentioned the third expereince lightly so there is enough material for interviews (I hope!)

tweetledee said:

I totally didn't notice that Case had a deadline and I turned mine in days (less than a week) after the deadline. They must not have cared that much because here I am! By the way, Case is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Case doesn't have a deadline, they have a guideline.

2) Don't leave the second essay blank. They ask for two pages! Write about a project you completed in college, anything. If you can't do that, I wouldn't waste my time applying to case.