Case Western-Secondary-Research Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiddly of Winks

Angus Diet Groupie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for any fellow Case Western applicants:

I haven't had any research experience, other than research papers for classes (I know, I'll never get into med shool now< sarcasm >).

In the essay portion of the secondary, there are two essays, the second of which says...

"Research Essay: (Required)
If you have had experience doing research or other scholarly work, please describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Please limit your response to 1 page."

Well, all of my work is "scholarly", right? Any suggestions on whether I should talk about a research paper (sounds weak, I know) instead of research work? That just seems kind of phony.

Anyways, thanks for any and all suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Tiddly of Winks said:
I have a question for any fellow Case Western applicants:

I haven't had any research experience, other than research papers for classes (I know, I'll never get into med shool now< sarcasm >).

In the essay portion of the secondary, there are two essays, the second of which says...

"Research Essay: (Required)
If you have had experience doing research or other scholarly work, please describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Please limit your response to 1 page."

Well, all of my work is "scholarly", right? Any suggestions on whether I should talk about a research paper (sounds weak, I know) instead of research work? That just seems kind of phony.

Anyways, thanks for any and all suggestions.

I would say, talk about a research paper... maybe make it seem like an independent research project within a class (which it could be)...

I thought that essay was required if you were applying to the college program. If you do apply to the college program, you need a research experience. If you are applying to the university program alone, you may not need to write it. You may want to contact their admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, does CWRU screen. I haven't heard from them and I've been complete for over a month. If they don't screen, can you provide me the secondary link. thanks

they do screen. i also applied a month ago and haven't heard from them

No they don't screen. They are just slow. Goto this link here https://iapply.cwru.edu/ You should be able to retrieve your password if you've been processed. That is how I got mine. There was no problem with it since they had my AMCAS info there already.

dr.z said:
No they don't screen. They are just slow. Goto this link here https://iapply.cwru.edu/ You should be able to retrieve your password if you've been processed. That is how I got mine. There was no problem with it since they had my AMCAS info there already.

thanks, it couldn't find my password. So I guess my app wasn't downloaded by adcom yet. Anyway, whats the final say on the research essay. Is it required for regular MD applicants or just certain folks.

derf said:
thanks, it couldn't find my password. So I guess my app wasn't downloaded by adcom yet. Anyway, whats the final say on the research essay. Is it required for regular MD applicants or just certain folks.
I am in the same boat derf just chill.
You are making me nervous :(

it is still early in the game

Premedtomed said:
I am in the same boat derf just chill.
You are making me nervous :(

it is still early in the game

LOL...sorry... :laugh:

In the essay, whatever you do, don't try to make it seem like it was an independent study or self-initiated project if it really wasn't. They are pretty good about screening those sorts of things out, especially in the interview process. You can bet 100% that they will grill you over what your research project was and all the minute details about it in an interview. Guaranteed.

Thanks for the various opinions, guys. By the looks of it, dr. z, when I select the University Program, that second research essay does pop up. However, I may call the office and inquire there.

At the very worst I'm out $30, which, in the scheme of things, is a drop in the bucket.

Danka

Tiddly of Winks said:
Thanks for the various opinions, guys. By the looks of it, dr. z, when I select the University Program, that second research essay does pop up. However, I may call the office and inquire there.

At the very worst I'm out $30, which, in the scheme of things, is a drop in the bucket.

Danka

Wait... out thirty bucks? Does it cost extra to apply to the Lerner program?

I'm iffy on applying to Lerner, but checked it off anyway when I submitted (and did the research essay). If the research essay isn't required for the regular program, I feel shortchanged... that was a damn long stupid essay I had to write, and I don't want to have supplied unnecessary information that I'll be grilled on during an interview :(
Well good luck folks with all this.

Call the admissions office and ask them if you should do the essay even though you haven't done any research. It sounds like the essay doesn't apply to you, and if they give you leave to skip it, you should probably do so. Don't worry - it's okay not to have the research experience as long as the rest of your application is strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
how strict do you think they are about the 1 page limit on this essay? i've tried and tried but mine is really stuck at a page and 6 lines - think this is ok? it just seems so subjective - a page could be many different lengths depending on font, size, spacing, margins....and their box doesn't seem to have a limit...grr this is frustrating :rolleyes:

WUgrl said:
how strict do you think they are about the 1 page limit on this essay? i've tried and tried but mine is really stuck at a page and 6 lines - think this is ok? it just seems so subjective - a page could be many different lengths depending on font, size, spacing, margins....and their box doesn't seem to have a limit...grr this is frustrating :rolleyes:

Mine was a little over the limit if the limit was one page single-spaced, or WAY over the limit if it was one page double-spaced.

leechy said:
Mine was a little over the limit if the limit was one page single-spaced, or WAY over the limit if it was one page double-spaced.
I should add, the way I think of it, they can always stop reading if they want.

haha true...yeah i'm definitely in trouble if it's supposed to be double spaced! i just don't want it to get cut off or anything...and then my other essay that's supposed to be 2 pages is barely making it a page right now....go figure! :p

this is strange. last year, when i applied, the research essay was only required if the applicant checked off the college program box. and, yeah, they don't screen. supposedly they just send out secondaries in groups - probably just so they dont' receive thousands of applications back all at once. as for the essay length, i went over the limit last year on both of my essays and there was no problem (got an interview). i wouldn't stress about it.

I called them today--they were very nice.

The woman I talked to spoke with some dean (of admissions?), who told her I was basically on my own.

Like several of you have said, last year, it was necessary to complete both essays only if you were applying to the college program. This year, however, both the university and college programs require both essays, I guess.

Well, maybe I'll talk about some non-research stuff like proctoring or my time in architecture or something .

For those of us waiting for the secondary, can you guys post the essay questions.
Thanks!

Reckoning said:
For those of us waiting for the secondary, can you guys post the essay questions.
Thanks!

My dilemma: I have been involved in four different research projects over the years. One was simply a "lab job" (yeah I was doing research but I felt more like a lab rat). The second two were related to one another. I really enjoyed that experience and the research went somewhere (though we don't have results yet). The final project is ongoing.

So the question is: Which one should I mention for the prompt? Can I just mention one of these research interests and mention the others in passing? I don't have the space to discuss them all.

Jason

reckoning -

1. The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining insight into you as a person. Type or Copy and Paste a brief essay on a subject outside of medicine, which has been an area of great interest to you. Please limit your essay to 2 pages.

2. If you have had experience doing research or other scholarly work, please describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Please limit your response to 1 page.

I applied MSTP and didn't get that first question at all; I don't know why. My essays were both research oriented: one about previous research and one about MD/PhD career goals.

I didn't have any research experience, so i just put in an explanation... basically i had planned to work in a lab, but due to my teaching experience was offered a t.a. position instead. I'm pretty happy i didn't end up in an R.A. (research asst.) spot... but it made filling out this part of the secondary kind of sketchy!!

Hey
I would STRONGLY urge you guys that do have research experience to apply to the College Program at Case WEstern. This is the NEW Cleveland Clinic's medical school and it is ABSOLUTELY fantastic. I was blown away by the new facilities and the new way of teaching. Also, they have a ton of money for a small class size of about 35 kids so you'll get a) alot of cool parties/conferences b) GREAT financial aid stuff. I got in there but decided to come back home to my state school, but if you are interested in case, spend the extra money...it'll be worth it!

WillHague007 said:
Hey
I would STRONGLY urge you guys that do have research experience to apply to the College Program at Case WEstern. This is the NEW Cleveland Clinic's medical school and it is ABSOLUTELY fantastic. I was blown away by the new facilities and the new way of teaching. Also, they have a ton of money for a small class size of about 35 kids so you'll get a) alot of cool parties/conferences b) GREAT financial aid stuff. I got in there but decided to come back home to my state school, but if you are interested in case, spend the extra money...it'll be worth it!

thanks dude. Even my cousin told me about this. sounds neat.
How does apply to the college program??

guys, i think i made a boo boo, i thought that if i didn't have any research experience, i didnt have to write the essay and left it blank cause it said if you had any research....... :( , i think im royally screwed and i just sent in money too...... :scared:

Hey Wends,

A week or so ago, I contacted the admissions office to resolve what to do about that research essay (i.e. whether I should leave it blank, use a non-research/scholarly experience, or explain why I haven't done any research). I talked to a secretary who had spoken to the dean of admissions (Dr. Rosen-something). The dean said that it was up to me to decide what I wanted to do with the space provided.

In years past, Case hasn't had the research essay on the University program application (which is less research-oriented than the College program), so there is really no precedent as to what applicants are supposed to do. You may be fine, but I could only speculate. Perhaps you should call the admissions office and ask them--you might get a completely different response than I did.

Bleh

Tiddly of Winks said:
Hey Wends,

A week or so ago, I contacted the admissions office to resolve what to do about that research essay (i.e. whether I should leave it blank, use a non-research/scholarly experience, or explain why I haven't done any research). I talked to a secretary who had spoken to the dean of admissions (Dr. Rosen-something). The dean said that it was up to me to decide what I wanted to do with the space provided.

In years past, Case hasn't had the research essay on the University program application (which is less research-oriented than the College program), so there is really no precedent as to what applicants are supposed to do. You may be fine, but I could only speculate. Perhaps you should call the admissions office and ask them--you might get a completely different response than I did.

Bleh

wow, thanks tiddy! yeah, i emailed them to ask this too and am waiting for the response....i dont want to put anything down cause i havent done research....but maybe i should explain i havent done research...

i spoke directly w/ someone on adcom this summer
and learned that this is a new req. for Case applicants
my interpretation is that this question was directly
(maybe not indirectly) required by Case not Cleveland
Clinic.

However, if you are only interested in Case I wouldn't
leave the question blank. I believe they are hoping for
outside of classroom research but if that's all you have
then that's all you have.

:)