Case Western University- Master's in Medical Physiology Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Took an acceptance today. Anybody else? :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

for all who got in, mind posting your stats? i'm an undergrad (rising senior) hoping to apply and matriculate in fall 2014. also do the grades in the program calculate to your undergrad science gpa since it is a postbac...leading to an MS eventually? thanks guys and congrats to those that were accepted!

I think the courses you will take in the program will count towards your graduate GPA since the program is at a Master's Level and degree bearing. If you went to a post-bac where you just took some undergraduate level classes, then it would add to your uGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
for all who got in, mind posting your stats? i'm an undergrad (rising senior) hoping to apply and matriculate in fall 2014. also do the grades in the program calculate to your undergrad science gpa since it is a postbac...leading to an MS eventually? thanks guys and congrats to those that were accepted!

My stats are uGPA 3.0 and GRE score of ~45% Quant and ~50% Verbal. I'm pretty sure I had strong letters of rec, mostly because the people who wrote them for me have known me for a long time.
Anyways, I'm still waiting to hear back from Wayne State's program before I decided on where to go, although I went to Case Western's open house and they were very convincing...

I was accepted into Case Western's MS in Medical Physiology and JHU MS in Biotechnology program (also a post bac). I like the program at Case better, so I've decided to go there. I'm excited! Does anyone know of a good place to live?

My stats are uGPA 3.0 and GRE score of ~45% Quant and ~50% Verbal. I'm pretty sure I had strong letters of rec, mostly because the people who wrote them for me have known me for a long time.
Anyways, I'm still waiting to hear back from Wayne State's program before I decided on where to go, although I went to Case Western's open house and they were very convincing...
Do you mind expanding on what they said that was very convincing? This seems like a great program, but the cost and newness of it make me a little nervous!

Do you mind expanding on what they said that was very convincing? This seems like a great program, but the cost and newness of it make me a little nervous!

I feel the same exact way!

Here's a couple things I got from the open house...
The curriculum is taught by experts in the field, so you can expect large numbers of faculty to be teaching one course. The director of this MS program, Dr. Boron, is the author of the world famous Medical Physiology book that medical students use. He will be teaching part of your medical physiology class. The hidden curriculum involves their affiliation with 4 hospitals, 4,600 full time and part time staff, the opportunities to work with this staff because they are a research powerhouse who can provide shadowing and volunteering experiences, and the ability to go on Grand Rounds with them where you basically get to meet them, read their research, and talk to them. Not to mention all the letter of recommendation opportunities you can get! The program also does not rank or curve students which eliminates competitiveness.
Here's one of my favorite things about the program: They prepare and require you to take the National Board of Medical examiners test in Physiology and Neurophysiology after one year in the program. Since all medical students have to take this exam (although they take a bigger test, the MS students just take a subject portion), you can basically rank yourself among all the medical students across the US who also took the exam. You can then show your results to medical schools and prove to them that you have the ability to do work at the medical school level.
The staff said they would also help you prepare your personal statement, especially since some of them have worked on medical school admissions boards before.

The cost of living is OK... between $400-600 per person for a room in a house. We toured the area and everything was within walking distance of the main medical school building you would be taking most of your classes in, so that was nice.

Let me know if you have any questions! I loveee this program, but I still have lots to consider. Also, if any previous students want to chime in, please do so! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I was accepted into this program and I'm looking for a place to live. I found this place called Hazel8 apartments..really nice and rent is $2000 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. I was wondering if anyone is interested. Here is the link for the apartments:http://www.hazel8.com/. PM if interested

Hey everyone,

I was accepted into this program and I'm looking for a place to live. I found this place called Hazel8 apartments..really nice and rent is $2000 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. I was wondering if anyone is interested. Here is the link for the apartments:http://www.hazel8.com/. PM if interested

Might hit ya up in the next few weeks.

I'm coming from Texas, so I wont know anybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. You?

not sure yet dude, leaning towards VCU though waiting to hear from Toledo. I went to the open house, didn't like the Cleveland vibe honestly...we'll see though.

Is there anyone that's still waiting for a response from case? for the people that got a response, how long did it usually take from the point your application is complete til your response? and do they respond by snail mail, email, or phone call?

Is there anyone that's still waiting for a response from case? for the people that got a response, how long did it usually take from the point your application is complete til your response? and do they respond by snail mail, email, or phone call?

e-mail. took about 2 weeks for me.

thanks! neuroglia, what's making you sway toward VCU instead of case? if you don't mind me asking. also what day of the week did you get the email? was it tuesday?...sorry getting a bit anxious because i have to reply to 3 other schools by the end of this week and I'm 80% sure i would accept the case program if I am accepted.

thanks! neuroglia, what's making you sway toward VCU instead of case? if you don't mind me asking. also what day of the week did you get the email? was it tuesday?...sorry getting a bit anxious because i have to reply to 3 other schools by the end of this week and I'm 80% sure i would accept the case program if I am accepted.

It was Wednesday. Honestly I just didn't like Cleveland, we'll see though.

It took a little over a week for me and I was notified via email

Few days, but I had been blowing up a lot of the adcom's emails beforehand. :thumbup:

if you guys dont mind, could you share your stats?

I found out I got accepted today. :) Waiting on other schools too.
Might be looking for somewhere to live soon.

thought I'd share

Stats:
cGPA: >3.4
sGPA: >3.6
MCAT: >30

Submitted: 6/7/13
Accepted: 6/18/13

They gave me until 7/1 to make a decision on the acceptance and I ultimately declined. Primary reason for me declining was after speaking with Dr. Noshek (very helpful), I decided the program just did not fit my needs/goals. The program is designed to be 2+ semesters and they highly discourage trying to finish the program in 2 semesters and apply to medical school at the same time. Of their 43 inaugural students (Fall 2011 matriculating students) ~50% of those that have applied to medical/dental school were successful, but Dr. Noshek expects this number to be closer to 80% by this time next yr (which to me meant most of the students had not applied). In other words, by going to this program you will be looking to matriculating into medical school in 2 years. I thought this was unnecessary with the lack of linkage to CaseMed itself and the high cost of the program (~47k in tuition). In addition, by looking around their program website, it seemed like the majority of their students that have been successful are currently in DO and not MD, which didn't fit my career goal.

If you are unsure about attending this program definitely contact Dr. Noshek and he can help answer many questions that you may have.

I found out I got accepted today. :) Waiting on other schools too.
Might be looking for somewhere to live soon.

Glad I ain't the only Texan moving to Ohio. :laugh: *maybe*

Anyone care to share their stats?

I just applied and am nervously awaiting the decision.

Glad I ain't the only Texan moving to Ohio. :laugh: *maybe*

Yeah :laugh: Looks like a great program to me.

Anyone care to share their stats?

I just applied and am nervously awaiting the decision.

I believe the deadline was July 1st.
I had 3.4 sGPA, about 3.3 cGPA, mid 20 MCAT, 2 years of research, volunteering, and other stuff.
Submitted everything around May 29th, completed by around June 4th, heard back July 3rd.

Sorry for double posting but I was wondering if any one who has been accepted or anyone familiar with the area could recommend a location to live. I've been attempting to search on SDN and Google.

These are some details I've found in regards to housing:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12622641&postcount=18
http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/studentlife/housing.cfm
http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/images/Housing Guide.pdf
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Ohio/Case-Western-Reserve-University/
http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Off-...artments-Near-Case-Western-Reserve-University

If anyone is looking for a roommate, let me know.

I was accepted today!!! Woohoo!!!

See you all in Cleveland.

Also got accepted and looking for roommates. I've been checking Uptown Apts, Hazel 8 (both pretty pricey) as well as craigslist for places in the little Italy area, which is within walking distance from Case. Let me know if you need a roommate

Case sent out a bunch of info out through email today.

Definitely looking for a roommate as well.

Has anybody had luck finding a place yet? I'm still looking...

Hey Guys!

Congrats everyone on getting in :)

I'm looking for a roommate too. I'm going down July 25-27 so if anyone is in Cleveland already and wants to meet or look at places let me know.

Feel free to message me on here or join the facebook group.

See you all soon!

So I didn't get accepted into the other school I wanted to go to... But, now that means there is a big chance I'll be headed to Case! I'm meeting with a career advisor at my undergrad university on Weds to figure things out. If I do end up going I'll need a roommate too so I'll let you guys know!!

I'm coming to Case! Message me if you are looking for a roommate or know any places to live at. I'm late to the party and really behind on housing, lol.

I'm coming to Case! Message me if you are looking for a roommate or know any places to live at. I'm late to the party and really behind on housing, lol.

Everybody is.. Seems that there is not much left within walking distance.. :thumbdown:

Any Canadians thinking about this program or have accepted?

Hello, I was accepted to the MS in Pathology and was wondering about housing options. It seems like there are some really nice places for graduate students, however I've seen a lot of posts about "not so good" areas in Cleveland so I am a little worried. If anyone has advice about the best apartments/areas that are "safer", please let me know!!! Thank you! Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate for this upcoming fall, let me know! 25, female...fyi. Thanks!

Recently got accepted!! Pretty fast turnaround.

Now that the program has had a few years, whats are the pros and cons of the program? Any successful pre-dents out there?

Is there any information on prereqs? I didn't see any info on the website, other than successful applicants usually have a good foundation in the physical/chemical/biological sciences. What prerequisites does one have to have for this program?

In addition, if no med school accepts you, what other career options are there with a M.S. in Medical Physiology? The price tag is scary if I can't realistically use the degree if I don't get in med school, you know?

Is there any information on prereqs? I didn't see any info on the website, other than successful applicants usually have a good foundation in the physical/chemical/biological sciences. What prerequisites does one have to have for this program?

In addition, if no med school accepts you, what other career options are there with a M.S. in Medical Physiology? The price tag is scary if I can't realistically use the degree if I don't get in med school, you know?

The Master’s Program in Medical Physiology is designed for students with a bachelor’s degree (BS or BA) in a chemical/physical/ biological discipline or pre-med program who are seeking advanced training in the physiological sciences, typically in preparation for admission to a professional medical program (e.g. Medical School, Dental School, Physician Assistant program, Pharmacy School, Veterinary Medicine School, etc.), Ph.D. program, or for preparation to work in academia or biotechnology. Students with other undergraduate backgrounds who have successfully completed the courses required for application to medical school or other health professions programs are also qualified to apply to this program. Medical students in both the University and College programs at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine who are interested in the combined MD/MS degrees, are encouraged to consider making this the basic science component of that program. Students who want a career in administration of biomedical technology companies and their research programs also should consider this degree program. source: http://physiology.case.edu/educatio...ms-medical-physiology/msmp-resident-programs/

Thanks, IwanttheDDS. I was thinking they might have more specific requirements, like x hours of biology/chemistry/etc. From what I have seen, the health professions programs can vary widely in their prerequisites.

Still not sure if this is for me. Thank you for the help, though.

Hey there I was accepted to this program last friday and I am pretty confident case western will be able to help me more than my others acceptances at NJMS GSBS, Touro-NY, and William Carey. I was also at the Open House this past weekend, I was the big indian guy who drove to Cleveland from New Jersey. I am really pretty clueless about the housing situation for this program and I would definitely be interested in a roommate so let me know if any of you have already accepted and are in the same boat looking for housing.

To everyone else appying, good luck! Also Dr. Nosek said he was putting the Open House video on their website. It was comprehensive so definitely check it out if you are on the fence about this program.

Hey there I was accepted to this program last friday and I am pretty confident case western will be able to help me more than my others acceptances at NJMS GSBS, Touro-NY, and William Carey. I was also at the Open House this past weekend, I was the big indian guy who drove to Cleveland from New Jersey. I am really pretty clueless about the housing situation for this program and I would definitely be interested in a roommate so let me know if any of you have already accepted and are in the same boat looking for housing.

To everyone else appying, good luck! Also Dr. Nosek said he was putting the Open House video on their website. It was comprehensive so definitely check it out if you are on the fence about this program.
I am browsing the website and I do not see an Open House video. Do you know if he put it up yet?