Case western vs. Albert Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popholdinitdown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm heavily leaning towards Einstein but just wanted to consider all sides in case I'm forgetting something.

Case Western

Pro
  • Higher ranked/Better reputation/Matchlist seems better (?)
  • University hospital was amazing + Cleveland Clinic
  • New building being built for Spring of 2019
Con
  • Midwest (I hate the Midwest after doing UG in Midwest)
  • Cleveland is not NYC
  • More expensive tuition
  • Would have to do LDR with my SO
  • Not as diverse as NYC
  • I would need and want a car/poor public transportation
  • Possibility of being pidgeonholed into the Midwest for residency - I don't want to spend 10+ years in the Midwest
  • PBL curriculum
Einstein

Pro
  • SO lives in Manhattan
  • Cheaper than Case tuition
  • NYC is diverse, there're more things to do and better food
  • Cheap housing
  • Don't need a car/Public transportation
  • Non-PBL curriculum
  • Friends already attending Einstein

Con
  • Lower ranked/reputation
  • Facilities aren't as nice as Case's

I'm pretty certain I'd be happier at Einstein but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything major.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d say Einstein as well. Just keep in mind that Einstein is in the Bronx, which isn’t exactly downtown Manhattan. Not too far though. But i’m sure you’ve considered this as you’re leaning towards it. Congrats on the acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
I’d say Einstein as well. Just keep in mind that Einstein is in the Bronx, which isn’t exactly downtown Manhattan. Not too far though. But i’m sure you’ve considered this as you’re leaning towards it. Congrats on the acceptances!
I think Case is the better choice in a vacuum, but your personal factors make it difficult to recommend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at Case and Einstein and also accepted to Case. I loveddd this school, and the facility. Both schools are good, Case is higher in rank than Einstein in research, and you can match anywhere you want.

Take a look at Einstein's match list--it's actually VERY impressive! I would say most match into NYC area residencies, with many matching into Mt Sinai, NYU, and NYP/Columbia!

Also don't underestimate the positive impact of having a strong support system throughout med school...

If I were you, I'd go with Einstein!!

I think they're fairly comparable schools, but your personal circumstances make Einstein the better choice.

Einstein = SO, Non-pbl, nyc, + studios!!

Just know that with Einstein, you're in the Bronx. It'll take you over an hour to get to any good parts of manhattan via public transport.

Einstein = SO, Non-pbl, nyc, + studios!!

Just know that with Einstein, you're in the Bronx. It'll take you over an hour to get to any good parts of manhattan via public transport.
It’s about 1hr and 15min to downtown of manhattan. So about 45min to uptown and 1hr to midtown. BUTTTT if you have a car, Westchester/Yonker is much closer and tons of nature stuff to do.