Case Western vs Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: I need your honest opinion. I really liked both schools and cannot decide. Which is better for research Case or Rochester? Which has a more diverse student body, which students are happier??

Members don't see this ad.

:confused: I need your honest opinion. I really liked both schools and cannot decide. Which is better for research Case or Rochester? Which has a more diverse student body, which students are happier??

I applied to both but I haven't interviewed at Rochester so I can't give you much of a comparison, but I can give you my opinion about Case.

As far as what's better for research, I have no idea, but I do know that Case gets TONS of money for research (I've heard someone say more than all the other Ohio schools combined...but don't quote me on that because I can't imagine it getting that much more than OSU). I also know that Case requires you to do a research thesis in med school so they really must value research since most schools (in my experience) don't require that.

As far as student happiness, all I heard over and over during my interview was how happy everyone was there. And it honestly looked like it. Everyone was smiling and super laid back...all the students I talked to said they were actually enjoying their time in med school. Also if you watch Doc Opera you'll see that Case med students also have a good sense of humor!

Again like I said I'm 100% biased cause I know nothing about Rochester, but I just wanted to share my opinion with you.

Good luck--I'm sure whatever decision you make will be a great one!

Didn't apply to Rochester, though I was there for a SUNY Upstate interview. If they're at all similar, for the love of god, pick Case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have interviewed at both this cycle and I can honestly say that both were amazing and really both are pretty similar in the attitude of their administration, looking to take care of their students and be innovative in the way that they deliver medical education.

The students I know at Rochester are very happy, and considering of the schools that I have been accepted to it is probably where I will end up, I really really liked it there. But really students at both schools seemed equally happy.

Rochester actually has more NIH grant money than Case ($168 million vs. $139 million) but really that is probably a negligible difference, both are amazing schools for research and for clinical care. Case probably has the leg up in terms of the prestige of their teaching hospitals, University Hospitals and the Cleveland Clinic are probably stronger than Strong but really once again they are all amazing.

Rochester is absolutely nothing like SUNY-Upstate, Rochester gets way less snow, is much larger and cultured than Syracuse, and isn't a state school like Upstate.

The biggest perk for Rochester is that its cheaper than Case by about 10k a year, which is always nice. But really, you can't go wrong with either, go to second look weekends and see which you like for yourself!

Don't know much about Rochester, but here's what I know about Case:

Case has a really innovative program, split about 50/50 between small groups and lectures during the pre-clinical years. Class done by noon everyday with a huge emphasis on independent, self-directed learning. Exams only at the end of each block. True p/f with no internal ranking. Anatomy is longitudinal and throughout both preclinical years, some prosection and some dissection. Lots of clinical exposure early on. Students seemed the most laid back, friendly, and happy out of all the schools I interviewed at.

During the clinical years, you have the choice of rotating at three superb hospitals: CCF, UH, and metrohealth. Also, a four month research block and thesis is required. Match list looks impressive.

Case seems like a truly fantastic, top 20 med school. The only downside is the cost. This school is incredibly expensive. You will probably take out at least 250,000 in loans during the four years (tuiton + food + rent) without any institutional aid. But Case may definitely be worth the price of admission.

I have interviewed at both this cycle and I can honestly say that both were amazing and really both are pretty similar in the attitude of their administration, looking to take care of their students and be innovative in the way that they deliver medical education.

The students I know at Rochester are very happy, and considering of the schools that I have been accepted to it is probably where I will end up, I really really liked it there. But really students at both schools seemed equally happy.

Rochester actually has more NIH grant money than Case ($168 million vs. $139 million) but really that is probably a negligible difference, both are amazing schools for research and for clinical care. Case probably has the leg up in terms of the prestige of their teaching hospitals, University Hospitals and the Cleveland Clinic are probably stronger than Strong but really once again they are all amazing.

Rochester is absolutely nothing like SUNY-Upstate, Rochester gets way less snow, is much larger and cultured than Syracuse, and isn't a state school like Upstate.

The biggest perk for Rochester is that its cheaper than Case by about 10k a year, which is always nice. But really, you can't go wrong with either, go to second look weekends and see which you like for yourself!

Orite, sorry, I was getting confused with Syracuse, which doesn't have a med school at all.

Didn't apply to Rochester, though I was there for a SUNY Upstate interview. If they're at all similar, for the love of god, pick Case.

I did research at Rochester, was accepted to both Rochester and SUNY Upstate, and can tell you that the two are not alike at all.

I went to the Eastman School of Music in Rochester and can tell you that the town has some amazing things to offer. Buffalo and Rochester are, IMO, far better than Syracuse. Tons to do once you get to know the place. I would even be willing to go back one day given the right conditions...

That being said, I've never been to Case.

I am at Mayo now, which I loved hands down over any other school at which I interviewed, but will say that Rochester is a great place. I was just really tired of Western NY and couldn't say no to Mayo.

If you want to do research and/or medicine Rochester is a great place to do it. The students are usually happy with the place and UR won't keep you from getting a great residency given that you do what you've got to do. It's not a big name, but it is well respected even here in the Midwest.

:luck: OP!

I think Cleveland and Rochester are pretty similar cities in a lot of ways, and the weather is... well, it's the snow belt either way.

In terms of the reputation of the hospital: In the Upstate region, everyone knows Strong. From Buffalo to Syracuse (and oftentimes well into and past those cities), and all the way down into PA, people know the hospital and come hours and hours to be treated there. It's really the only game in town - which is a great educational experience. Yes, Case is a very very well known institution nationally, but it is not the only show in town. That gives a slightly different vibe to the hospitals culture. Obviously, it's not bad to be there as a student, but there is something pretty neat knowing that whatever happens within a certain radius, eventually they are showing up at your doorstep.

Clearly, students at both schools are sought after and the education is well regarded. I don't think there is a difference in any perceivable way in how they are viewed be residency programs. I can't speak to Case, but I know Rochester students are universally known by program directors and doctors across the country as being extremely good relating to patients.

I can't give you the head to head you want, but research at Rochester is very easy to do. There is tons of money to fund student research, and tons of students are funded for a full year of research between med school years. It is the only school I know of that does not charge, and in fact, pays you, to do an MPH. About a quarter of each class does an extra research year, and most students are funded for research or international projects for the summer after 1st year.

Status
Not open for further replies.